• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails with Bénédictine

Last night at Two Ten Jack in Nashville (sensational ramen, by the way), I had the Take & Nickel:

Nikka 12 yr, Appleton Estate, Rare Wine Savannah Madeira, Cherry Heering, Benedictine, Lapsang Souchong Bitters

I spotted this on the menu after enjoying something quite bitter with Cynar that was on tap. I expressed my concern that it might be too sweet, but the bartender insisted it was "stout." On first sip, I would have said this drink was in fact the epitome of "sweetness," but the smoke & earth of the bitters rushed to the rescue on the finish leaving me quite intrigued, and with an empty glass in short order.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 2 weeks later...

The Eastwood (Marc Haines) with añejo tequila (7 Leguas), Punt e Mes, Benedictine, aromatic (Fee Brother's whiskey-barrel aged bitters) and orange (Fee's and Regan's) bitters, expressed lemon peel. It's similar to a Preakness cocktail or a Bobby Burns with aged tequila instead of rye or scotch, respectively.

The initial impression is bitterness and wood, then it develops some really cool aromas including chocolate, and a touch of citrus. Good use of a very nice aged tequila.

14479222950_dda731789c_z.jpg

• 4 months later...

Rafa's California Widow is really good with flavors that pop. Great use of Terroir gin and pear eau-de-vie. I went with Orinoco for the bitters.

California Widow with St. George Terroir gin, pear eau-de-vie, green Chartreuse, Benedictine, Orinoco bitters. Actually, now that I read my notes I realize that what I made was a variation of Rafa's creation, because I skipped the St. Germain altogether. It's funny because I used it in my next drink, the Vieux Mot.

15741318859_d4b9a3f7f4_z.jpg

The St. Germain complements the pear, but it does make the drink overly sweet for most tastes. I'll have to try it à la Frog. You've turned it into more of a (California) Widow's Kiss.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 1 year later...

The Foxtail (Thomas Kunick via Gaz Regan) with Tanqueray London dry gin (substituted for Oxley gin), Benedictine, white grapefruit juice (Oro Blanco).

24562375829_ed96dca6ac_b.jpg

A very simple three components/equal parts number. Benedictine is indeed very nice with grapefruit.

I think the cocktail would be better with slightly more gin and less Benedictine because the balance was a tad off - the flavors were herbal and sometimes bordering on the side of medicinal. Or maybe Oxley gin works better with these ratios, it's entirely possible. Apparently it's also juniper-forward but has more citrus than Tanqueray.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
formatting issues (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Vieux Carre inspired with a base of apple brandy and aged rum, spirit-forward and with a lot of fruit.

Ciudad Vieja (Alex Negranza via Gaz Regan) with Daron XO calvados, Plantation Barbados 5, Clement Creole shrubb, Benedictine, Creole bitters.

25925955136_61708d95e6_h.jpg

Preakness with High West American Prairie bourbon, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, Berg & Hauck's old time aromatic bitters (with the Death & Co's ratios). A classic for a reason... it's a really great Manhattan variation.

25799828082_ae17d676f0_h.jpg

• Like 2

After the Final Straw, a Laphroaig-based Last Word variation which substituted Benedictine for the Maraschino liqueur, I was encouraged to explore more cocktails pairing peaty scotch, Chartreuse and Benedictine...

Butter Lemon Smoke (TJ Vytlacil) with Laphroaig 10, Landy VS cognac, green Chartreuse, Benedictine.

Note that the cocktail was conceived with Peat Monster which, unlike its name indicates, is actually less peaty than Laphroaig.

25697743530_a548663e63_h.jpg

This was a rather rich cocktail, although the Laphroaig cut through most of the sweetness and made it work. Some buttery rich notes came through, lemon from a generous zest (in addition to the garnish, I used an extra peel to generously spray the surface of the cocktail), and obviously the smoke from the scotch.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
remove extraneous link (log)
  • Like 1

I may have to give this a try using the Peat Monster to see how it works.

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 5 weeks later...

Widow's Kiss, Kappeler.  Following an early dinner, too soon to go to bed.  Still haven't found a better excuse for Benedictine.  Any of you who are widows and so inclined, please ring me up.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...

Vieux [sic] Ananas (Ezra Star) with Rittenhouse 100 proof rye whiskey, Plantation Stiggins' Fancy pineapple rum, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, Angostura bitters. This was pretty great. The pineapple rum is subtle enough that it's very easy to mix in cocktails - the pineapple isn't immediately obvious, but it does pop up over time as a nice surprise.

Vieux (Vieil?) Ananas (Ezra Star) with Rittenhouse 100 proof rye whiskey, Plantation Stiggins' Fancy pineapple rum, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, Angostura bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rye #whiskey #benedictine #rum #pineapple

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Vieux [sic] Ananas (Ezra Star) with Rittenhouse 100 proof rye whiskey, Plantation Stiggins' Fancy pineapple rum, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, Angostura bitters. This was pretty great. The pineapple rum is subtle enough that it's very easy to mix in cocktails - the pineapple isn't immediately obvious, but it does pop up over time as a nice surprise.

Vieux (Vieil?) Ananas (Ezra Star) with Rittenhouse 100 proof rye whiskey, Plantation Stiggins' Fancy pineapple rum, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, Angostura bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rye #whiskey #benedictine #rum #pineapple

That sounds good!  

To my taste there was almost as much papaya as pineapple in that rum. It's good stuff. 

• 2 months later...
De La Louisiane (Stanley Clisby Arthur via PDT) with Wild Turkey rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, St George absinthe, Peychaud's bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rye #ryewhiskey #benedictine #absinthe #benedictine #pdt

De La Louisiane (Stanley Clisby Arthur via PDT) with Wild Turkey rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Benedictine, St George absinthe, Peychaud's bitters. It's rich, but it works with the Wild Turkey 101.

• Like 3

Sounds like one for me, FP.

What ratios did you use?  The comments in Kindred suggest several variants.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

9 minutes ago, lesliec said:

Sounds like one for me, FP.

What ratios did you use?  The comments in Kindred suggest several variants.

PDT ratios: 2 oz rye, 0.75 oz sweet vermouth, 0.75 oz Benedictine, 3 dashes absinthe, 3 dashes Peychaud's bitters.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...