• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specific Blowtorch Question

philie

Hello,

since i am located in europe, i unfortunately am not able to buy the much recommended iwatani or bernzomatic torches, just because getting the gas for them would be an expensive and/ or impossible act.

so i decided to buy an alternative with piezo starter:

http://www.lidl.de/de/Loetwerkzeuge/CFH-Profi-Handloetgeraet-TS-1800

however, a problem occurs which makes it almost impssible to use the product indoors:

i i start the torch everything is ok and it has a nice small blue flame, however if i am tilting the flame to blowtorch a piece of meat the flame gets red and extremely big which is extremely annoying since i can not use the torch indoors and even outdoors it is extremely hard to brown a piece of meat because the torch is not strong enough.

has anyone a tip or experienced the same issue with its blowtorch?

thanks!

From your description it sounds like the torch is getting liquid instead of gas to the flame, when you tilt it. This may be due to the design of the cylinder and/or the fuel type. Since I can't read the descriptions or the instructions for this device, your best bet may be to find someone locally who uses one.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Suggest you read this article on Cooking Issues. Sounds exactly like what you need. Unfortunately you can not simply buy that gadget ... you have to make your own.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

The Iwatani torches, which are great by the way (I bought mine from the US and imported it to Australia), use readily available butane gas cylinders such as these. I found some clones of these on UK eBay at around 1.18 each that ship to Europe so even if you can't get them locally, you can source them easily.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

hey,

thanks for all you suggestions!

so am i right the the iwatani is not having this specific issue?

if so,

could you provide a link to the gas cylinders?

i am having some trouble finding them and since i only se the cap of the mits even harder to find out which would work.

thanks in advance!

The Iwatani torch connects to a common variety of gas canister that can be found in just about any asian grocer and many supermarkets and hardware stores, at least in Australia.