• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kudzu Starch

jfresch

Does anyone know much about this type of starch. I seem to recall hearing about it somewhere but can not remember what it is used for. I know there are some really interesting modern techniques that utilize kudzu starch but I have forgotten what they are. Anyone know?

There are two example recipes from the Modernist Cuisine that use Kuzu starch to form gels. Unlike most things in that book, there isn't really a great "best bets" table or the like. One recipe has you blend it into a flavored liquid, simmer until it is thickened, and then cast into molds and refrigerate to make peanut flavored faux-tofu.

I took a cooking demo with David Bouley many years ago, and he was extolling the virtues of kuzu. At the time, he used it as a thickener for sauces - used in a similar way as cornstarch, but it was more stable. He made a slurry with some liquid, then added to the sauce, and brought to a boil. A little goes a long way... he didn't give measurements, but you can start with a small amount and see how it does - you can always add more if you want a thicker result.

I put the little lumps in cold liquid to "soak" and dissolve - for thick fruit gels or milk custards that you want to set firmly, 1 TABLESPOON to each cup of liquid - dissolve the kudzu in 2 tablespoons of cold liquid and then add to the remaining liquid, bring to a boil and stir constantly until it is thick. If using clear fruit juice, there should be no cloudiness.

For thinner sauces use about 1 1/2 TEASPOON per cup of liquid - again, dissolve it first in cold liquid before adding to the sauce and stir well.

Kuzu or kudzu will not break down with prolonged heating as cornstarch does, which is one of the advantages when one wants to keep a thick sauce hot for an extended period.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The idiazabal gnocchi recipe inspired from Mugaritz and in Modernist Cuisine uses this starch. It makes an unbelievable light "gnocchi", but it is hard to work with in the form I have found it in which is chunks.