• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tramontina Tri-Ply Clad Cookware

Stephen Bosse

Hey All,

So I have been wanting to replace my cookset for a long time now. I basically have 2 different sets of cookware: a full set of Revereware USA Signature (and I've just found out that these are rare and sell for quite the price) and a 3 pot/3pan set of off-name SS with a copper disc bottom. After looking around, I opted for the Tramontina 10-piece set. Anyone else have any exp with this cookware? I've heard great reviews of it, comparing it favorably to All-Clad, though there are differences. The only real drawback for me is that I had to buy it through walmart, who I would really prefer to never patronize.

Here is a link to the set--I'll let you know my thoughts after I've put the pieces through the paces.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-Tri-Ply-Clad-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/22984414?findingMethod=rr

S

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Tramontina set and like it a lot. The pieces heat and sear/brown evenly. Handles stay cool and are comfortable to hold--even the huge frying pan. Lids fit tight. All clean-up well and easily--if not, a bit of Barkeeper's Friend powder does the trick. I have used All-Clad in the past and think the Tramontina is almost, but not quite as good. The All-Clad pieces heat a bit more evenly and seem to have a bit more hefty construction (e.g., larger rivets holding the handles). The price difference, however, his huge and for the money, the Tramontina strikes me as a very good value. If money is no object, get All-Clad, for the remaining 99 percent, the Tramontina is excellent.

My 10-piece set came with a different, and I think more practical mix of sizes, including 10 and 12-inch fry pans, 2 saucepans, a 5-quart dutch oven, and a big stock pot--but no saute pan. I don't see my set listed on Wal-Mart's site anymore. The big fry pan is great, especially if cooking for more than 2 people.

• 6 months later...

Does the 10 piece set have lids that are all stainless or are they glass with stainless trim and handle?

Are there any trouble spots....like between the handle and the rim....that are a pain in the butt to clean?

I need a good utilitarian cookware set.

Thanks!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'm thinking about investing in a tramontina set...I want tri-ply and don't see any major differences between all-clad and tramontina, minor differences like rivet size etc as mentioned above just don't seem to make or break for me, I just want full-clad (as opposed to just having a base), and the price difference between this an all-clad is too significant to choose to all-clad. I've wondered why sandwiching aluminum between stainless steel couldn't be done for cheaper. I'm not sure what type of stainless steel is on the tramontina (is it brushed?) though

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

<<Does the 10 piece set have lids that are all stainless or are they glass with stainless trim and handle?>>

-Mine came with stainless steel lids. They fit well.

<<Are there any trouble spots....like between the handle and the rim....that are a pain in the butt to clean?>>

--Generally easy to clean. A bit of more work near rivets and where handles meet the body. I have a similar set of Gourmet Standard (no longer in business I'm told) and the Gourmet Standard are harder to clean and are coming loose near the rivets on the 12" fry pan. The newer Tramontina set seems more solid.

<<I'm not sure what type of stainless steel is on the tramontina (is it brushed?)>>

--I don't know what type of stainless, but the exterior and handles are highly polished and the interiors a bit less so.

• Like 1