• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

There Isn't a Better Cocktail on Earth When I'm Drinking a...

... the triumvirate of incomparable classics - The Negroni, Martini, and Manhattan.

Yes. And it's not a cocktail, but scotch neat. With these 4, you have something for every mood and occasion.

I'm partial to Punt e Mes in these, and I too like a single huge high-quality olive.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Negroni. As Chris said, that doesn't mean it's my one and only favorite, but when I'm drinking it seems like the best damn thing ever. It has the capacity to deliver everything I need at the moment. And a fresh piece of orange peel puts it over the top. I even find it to be one of the best drinks to order when I'm out since the Negroni is one drink that's difficult to screw up.

Agree. It's seasonless, and perfect, and even when someone has never made one before, you can tell them how and you get what you want.

To say that I am an unsophisticated drinker is no exaggeration. But I love a slushy Margarita and that's that. A very old kid, I guess.

Nothing wrong with a boozy slushie. If it makes you happy, drink it. Sometimes there's nothing better than a can of PBR.

And while I agree with the Holy Trinity of cocktails, I'm surprised the Mai Tai hasn't gotten more love. It's been around 90 degrees here the past few days, and there isn't much better than a Mai Tai or five on your porch in the afternoon heat.

Edited for typos.

Edited by bartenderkyle (log)

I enjoy Mai-tais in other people's drinking establishments where I can take advantage of their rum selection, syrups and fresh mint.

At home, I favour the brevity of a good white Cuban rum Daiquiri, 10:3:2

BJmqr5GCIAAIS59.jpg

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

When I drink a Spritz I remember my days at Padua University.

The recipe? I cannot give you the REAL one, because every bartender in Italy (and specially in Veneto, the region where Padua and Venice are) has his own recipe.

Three parts of Prosecco wine and two parts of Aperol is a simplification.

It exists a Spritz for men and a Spritz for ladies, for example.

Spritz recipe can also change depending on the time in the day.

My Italian Homemade Liqueurs and Pastries recipes at: http://italianliqueurs.blogspot.com.es

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Now that Tanqueray has chosen once again to bless us with Malacca, I find myself making 2:1 Martinis with Dolin blanc, Regan's #6 orange bitters, and a lemon twist. After running a four-hour cocktail workshop last weekend, with who knows how many options available, that's what I made.

And it killed, I tell you.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I have three that compete for the "nothing better" title in my drinking.

A bourbon Old-Fashioned--Elijah Craig 12-year-old and Angostura bitters.

A Bijou (equal parts gin--preferably Tanqueray, Cinzano Rosso, and Green Chartreuse).

A Jack Rose with homemade grenadine. (3 parts Lairds BIB, 1 part each grenadine and lemon juice)