• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring cocktails

Hassouni

Soo it's too warm for winter warmers, but not hot enough for daiquiris, mojitos, and crushed ice tiki drinks. Anyone got any good suggestions for somewhat chilly springtime drinks?

Let me tell you what I don't have (off the top of my head) that I often see in cocktails: apricot brandy, cherry Heering, amari beyond a trace of Campari and some Cynar, aquavit, Swedish Punsch, various eaux-de-vie, St Germain, Canton, various fruit syrups besides grenadine and passion fruit.

I like to make tequila por mi amante (strawberry-infused tequila) in the spring. I do a Margarita variant with it and some rhubarb bitters.

You could do a weeks-long simple infusion, or you could blend the strawberries with the tequila and then freeze the mixture overnight and strain the solids. I imagine gin or light rum would work well too.

At least here in New York, it's definitely hot enough (at least occasionally) for highballs. I've been enjoying G 'n Ts, Scotch and soda, and Dark 'n Stormys (which might be a good use for your Lemon Hart). Cynar with soda and a squeeze of lemon or orange can be very refreshing.

You could also take advantage of some spring produce to make purees or syrups to use in your drinks. Rhubarb syrup is tangy and plays well with both light and dark spirits; I like it with gin and tequila. Anything with mint, too: it's a great time for a Gin-Gin Mule.

And of course: punch! I had one last spring with bourbon, strawberries, and Aperol (you could substitute Campari) that was amazingly refreshing, though I don't recall the recipe.

Edit: effervescent drinks are perfect this time of year, including the French 45 and all its variants. Beer cocktails are a possibility.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

This is a cocktail I made for the first day of Spring. It's really quite good.

Death to Winter

2 oz Bulliet Bourbon
1/2 oz grade B maple syrup
1/2 fresh lemon juice
2 bar spoon fulls of raspberry perseveres
Shake hard and strain wait same ice in a Collins glass
garnish with a lemon peel wrapped around a raspberry

The most refreshing, springtime cocktails are made with flowers liqueurs.
In Italy we call them Rosolio liqueurs, because the most famous one is the Rose Rosolio.

Some ideas:

Shake 1 part of Citronella Rosolio, 1 part of Persichino (Peaches Liqueur), 2 parts of Amaretto Liqueur and serve in a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a stripe of orange zest.

Put 2 tablespoons of Orange Blossom Rosolio in a frozen flute and fill with Champagne.
Decorate with half orange slice.

Pour 2 parts of Spicy Chocolate Liqueur and 1 part of Orange Blossom Rosolio in a cocktail glass and stir.
Decorate with two orange blossoms and cocoa powder.

Mix 2 parts of Jasmine Rosolio, 1 part of vodka and 3 parts of watermelon juice.
Pour over ice in a large glass.
Let float 3-4 jasmine blossoms on the surface

My Italian Homemade Liqueurs and Pastries recipes at: http://italianliqueurs.blogspot.com.es

I made a nice refreshing drink this weekend for some guests. It went over well, but unfortunately I didn't do any measuring:

- chilled jasmine tea

- lemon juice

- St. Germain

- gin

- some bruised mint leaves

Slightly sweet, slightly sour, very floral and refreshing.

For spring I like to transition to more fresh citrus juice and maybe a touch of honey to keep things comforting and tone the citrus down a little. For example something like a Bee's Knees (gin, honey syrup, lemon juice) or a Gold Rush (bourbon, honey syrup, lemon juice) can work. A Brooklynite is a good transition drink too (aged Jamaican rum, lime juice, honey syrup, angostura bitters). A Brown Derby if you are in the mood for grapefruit (bourbon, grapefruit juice, honey syrup). Refer to the Mixed Drinks with Honey thread for more ideas.

A touch of jam can add a touch of fruit but I like to keep it subtle. The Talbott Leaf in PDT (bourbon, lemon, Chartreuse, cynar, mint, strawberry preserves), Cavalier also in PDT (cognac, lemon, cointreau, orgeat, apricot preserves, orange bitters). These are good transition drinks because they have an element of richness which is brightened by the citrus and fruit.

Lastly, Juleps are always good. Yes they are crushed ice drinks which you thought may not work for the chilly springtime in your area, but they are warming enough that they should be considered. I really like the Thomas Mint Julep (cognac with a touch of Smith & Cross Jamaican rum).