• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen storage of grains, yeasts, and modernist ingredients

I store a number of powdered and dry ingredients in my freezer. Today I spilled half a bag of tapioca starch. (The freezer needed cleaning anyhow.) The tapioca starch was in the Bob's Red Mill bag it was sold in, with an outer plastic bag around it.

Yeasts I keep in metal and glass sealed cans in the door of the freezer, but I don't have an unlimited number of metal cans -- plus after a while it becomes difficult to identify a given random white powder in a frozen can. Obviously I do not have a good system. How do other people store things like tapioca starch in their freezers?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If you're using cans, a permanent paint marker should do the trick. I use glass jars with thick, threaded lids, or plastic boxes with silicone seals (they stack and fit side by side nicely), and a combination of various kinds of tape and markers for labelling (sometimes the best solution is non-permanent marker with a piece of tape over it, to keep the word(s) from being rubbed off).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Square or round plastic Cambro containers work for me. The Sealcovers work well for freezer storage. I label with a grease pencil aka China marker. Works on just about any surface, waterproof, and requires a little elbow grease to remove, so it won't fade or fall off in the freezer. Your local resto supply house will have many sizes of Cambro containers and lid options. I use em for everything from storage to dough rising to large batch prepped ingredient storage. Squares fit well in the fridge, but round is easier to use for mixing.

http://www.cambro.com/Food_Storage/Square_Storage_Containers_and_Lids/

I have never seen plastic boxes with silicone seals. What are the ones you use?

I use various sizes and shapes of the containers by Funktion, which I think is specific to Scandinavia, but Rubbermaid's Lock-its look similar: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091259&CatName=FoodStorage:

The ones I use seal tightly enough that even the smell of asafoetida does not come through even a little bit.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org