• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Radish, Daikon and Carrot. Safe to cook together?

skyhskyh

Carrot and daikon are a mainstay of Vietnamese food (not to mention almost any nabe dish). Nothing wrong.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I heard somewhere or i got confused?

I heard that carrot and daikon should not be cooked together because it is bad for heathuf eaten?

Eg stewing carrot and raddish, picking raddish and carrot together...

Nah.

• 4 years later...
On 4/30/2013 at 11:03 AM, skyhskyh said:

I heard somewhere or i got confused?

I heard that carrot and daikon should not be cooked together because it is bad for heathuf eaten?

Eg stewing carrot and raddish, picking raddish and carrot together...

Well. It doesn't do much harm. Just that carrot have this enzyme called ascorbinase that destroys the vitamin C in the white radish (daikon).
It amount of ascorbinase are higher in raw carrot. Although cooking it can reduce the amount of ascorbinase in the carrot, the vitamin C will be long gone due to heat before ascorbinase. It is said that adding vinegar could also weaken the ascorbinase.

Ascorbinase are also found in:
pumpkins, cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower, apples and bananas.

• Like 4

The carrot and daikon shredded together (and maybe lightly pickled depending on what the muse says) make a nice little salad or accompaniment.  Japanese friends refer to it as firecracker salad.  No cooking involved.