• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hosta!

dcarch

So many of you are having a terrible winter. Here in New York Spring has arrived. While you are just getting seeds started, I am harvesting delicious tender hosta shoots.

Not exactly foraging because I grow hostas as a vegetable. Hosta is grown in Japan as a vegetable, it is considered a delicacy. It is probably the most amazing vegetable you can grow in your garden. It needs no sun, no fertilizer, no watering, no trimmimg and it is a decorative perennial that comes up every year before anything else. It will be many more weeks before you can have anything edible from your garden.

Hosta shoots are like asparagus and endive without the bitterness, very mild and tender.

Have you tried hosta? If so, how do you make yours?

dcarch

hosta2013_zpsb291b987.jpg

Hosta tofu soup

hostatofusoup2_zpsd92df773.jpg

hostatofusoup_zpsfbdf202e.jpg

Deep Fried pork on braised hosta

hostadeepfriedpork2_zpsdd57f0a3.jpg

hostadeepfriedpork_zpsbb3e8e0f.jpg

Beautiful! Why did I think that hostas were toxic?

They're about the only thing that grows in the dry shade of my tiny back yard. Shoots are coming up now. How many of the shoots can you harvest without killing the plant? I do need them for groundcover, too.

Beautiful! Why did I think that hostas were toxic?

They're about the only thing that grows in the dry shade of my tiny back yard. Shoots are coming up now. How many of the shoots can you harvest without killing the plant? I do need them for groundcover, too.

Toxic? Ha! People cannot grow them if they are in an area with a deer population. Deer love to eat hostas.

You harvest them like asparagus, cut close to the roots, but leave the roots alone. I cut about 25% from a cluster.

dcarch

I had no idea, either. I thought hosta's main purpose was to provide ground cover in the shade and give deer an easy excuse to annoy the gardener. Additional delicacies on the eastern white-tail deer circuit are daffodil buds and tulip buds...the night before they open.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Mind-boggling. I have a pair of hostas flanking the doorway to my 11th floor terrace in Manhattan. They have come up in their original plastic nursery pots for over 10 years now (I've been too lazy to repot them). The shoots do indeed look like asparagus, but it never crossed my mind that they were edible.

Mine have variegated leaves. I don't think I'll harvest any for eating since I only get about 5 shoots per pot.

btw dcarch, your photos and presentations of the hosta dishes are beautiful.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown