• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2013

Kerry Beal

Today we started out with a trip to the college to start getting ourselves set up for tomorrow. Then at 10 am we met at ChocolateFX and started our tour. Of course hair nets are obligatory if you are going to go into a food manufacturing facility!

DSCN1111.jpg

Wilma and Art had the small pan set up so that we could pan some raisins.

DSCN1135.jpg

Here's Pat (psantucc), with beard appropriately netted, applying some chocolate to the raisins.

DSCN1141.jpg

Ava (FrogPrincesse's little one) preparing to add more chocolate, Kyle helping and FrogPrincesse awaiting her turn.

DSCN1159.jpg

The fancy packing machine.

DSCN1129.jpg

Listening with rapt attention to Wilma explaining the making of ganache truffles in the round silicone molds.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Dinner tonight at The Old Winery -

Got a few pictures of things close to me -

DSCN1168.jpg

Believe it or not - I did not order the Calamari!

DSCN1170.jpg

Arctic Char for Anna.

DSCN1171.jpg

Lots of pizzas ordered.

DSCN1173.jpg

A nice grilled pork chop for me.

Production is under way for our dinner tonight.

FrogPrincesse is getting the cocktails ready -

DSCN1216.jpg

Dave and his students are preparing the various meats and veg for us. Student just pulled out the best looking cheese platter I've seen in a long time.

DSCN1217.jpg

Ruth's centerpiece has been adorned with wine thanks to little Ava.

DSCN1219.jpg

The room temperature wine is waiting - cold wine still in the fridge.

DSCN1220.jpg

Can I mention how wonderful it smells in here?

Thanks Kerry for all of your work this weekend - we had a great time!!

Alas, upon returning home, Matthew Kayahara and I discovered that four of our caramel rulers appear to have not made it back to Guelph with us - two 16" 1/2 inch ones, and one each of a 12" 1/2 inch and a 12" 1/4 inch. I'm pretty sure we loaned them out to someone today (although with my head bent over a ganache, I'm not totally certain who), so if they turn up in your luggage, please let me or Matt K know!

Alas, upon returning home, Matthew Kayahara and I discovered that four of our caramel rulers appear to have not made it back to Guelph with us - two 16" 1/2 inch ones, and one each of a 12" 1/2 inch and a 12" 1/4 inch. I'm pretty sure we loaned them out to someone today (although with my head bent over a ganache, I'm not totally certain who), so if they turn up in your luggage, please let me or Matt K know!

Aluminum? I probably grabbed them - next time you are through have a look at my collection and grab the ones that are yours.

Aluminum? I probably grabbed them - next time you are through have a look at my collection and grab the ones that are yours.

Yup, aluminum. I wouldn't be surprised if they had ended up with your array. Thanks again!

The calm before the storm. Anna setting up the coffee service, Chocolot and RobertM having a little chinwag.

DSCN1189.jpg

Breakfast - muffins and scones made for us by Chef Storm.

DSCN1191.jpg

Croissants made by Chef Ellis - who was supposed to join us but unfortunately found himself having to work at a friends bakery for the day.

DSCN1193.jpg

Liron and Tikidoc perusing the transfers given to us by www.chocotransfersheets.com'>Chocotransfer Sheets. They also kindly donated a chablon kit that merlicky was lucky enough to win in our draw.

DSCN1202.jpg

Lunch was lovely buns baked by Keith Ellis (there was also bread but we didn't figure this out until day 2), salads and cheese and cold cuts. The cold cuts come from Denninger's which is a store selling eastern european food products - their german salami and sliced roast beef are two of my favourite sandwich fillings.

DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1206.jpg

After lunch I made some coloured cocoa butters. I had planned to demo this anyway but it became more necessary by the little incident that happened. I had placed all (and I mean all) of the coloured cocoa butters that we have collected from kindly donations from Chef Rubber over the past several workshops on a heating pan with an dimmer switch attached - a hotel pan placed over the top to keep the heat in. When we arrived Saturday morning we were alerted to a problem by the appearance of a puddle of dusty rose cocoa butter on the ground. The bottom of about half the bottles had melted and the rest were hanging on by a straw.

One little problem - the cocoa butter that I had melted overnight on another little warmer was about 95º C in the morning and even when it had cooled down to room temperature it remained liquid. The colours sprayed though an airbrush it were fine, but painted not quite so good.

DSCN1208.jpg

Ava and her treats.

DSCN1210.jpg

Alleguede showing Cacaoflower how to back off a mold.

DSCN1212.jpg

I don't have as many pictures as I'd like to - spent a bit of time running around - so I'm counting on others to post as many pictures as possible.

DSCN1229.jpg

We had a bit of a tempering problem on Saturday - still makes a rather interesting appearance IMHO!

DSCN1231.jpg

You can see Matthew Hayday's cherry cordials - a collaborative effort between Matt and Chocolot.

DSCN1235.jpg

Group shot!

Fantastic workshop. Kerry is Wonder Woman!! She doesn't have the word NO in her vocabulary. I will attempt to post some photos.

The Three Amigos in Kerry chocolate room. (photo is posted to make everyone envious:)

IMG_1830.JPG

Kerry treated us to lunch while shopping at Costco-poutine

IMG_1838.jpg

Art and Wilma at Chocolate FX were extremely generous in allowing us to play at their factory. We all had a chance to pan and enrobe.

IMG_1848.jpg

Lunch at the Firehall.

IMG_1860.jpg

Dinner at the Old Winery-does it seem like all we did is eat??

IMG_1864.jpg

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com