• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modern Solution for No-Rice Sushi?

bigchef

Hi Everyone! I've been on the slow carb/Paleo diet for some time now and really miss the rice. In particular Maki rolls! Now I know that cauliflower is a great subtitute and many use it for rolls but here is my issue:

1). They all look like they are falling apart

2) Those that don't, ALL use Mayo (allowed but trying to keep the fat low as well) to hold the "rice" in place

I was thinking back to my days playing with Molecular Gastronomy and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to add that "stickiness" that sushi rice has? If you overcook the cauli it turns to mush and is overly watery. I was thinking maybe something like Guar Gum? Something clear and flavorless that would give enough "stickiness" to the cauli rice to hold shape. It could then be used for maki on it own, used, used for normal sushi or even formed around a filling in triangles (rice balls...although that one might be a bit to much to hope for)

I look forward to your thoughts and ideas!

I've never tried it before for fake sushi rice, but mixing a thick fluid gel (maybe start with 1% agar, .2% xanthan gum) into the cauliflower may work. If you want it to still taste like cauliflower use cauliflower juice as your base liquid.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

That sounds like the kind of thing I was thinking of Baselerd. You dont really want the cauli taste (as close to sushi rice as possible). I suppose you could even add some rice vinager and liquid splenda for the sweet/sour flavor. I wonder if the acid might mess up the gel though?

I don't think the acid will prevent the agar from gelling, I've made plenty of acidic fluid gels with it before. If you do choose to use the fluid gel approach I would add it very gradually - I can imagine adding too much would give an unpleasant slimy texture to the "rice."

As Plantas Vertes suggested though, I can't imagine this would be necessary. This blog seems to have made sushi rolls with cauliflower rice using no binding agent.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

I've made Faux mashed potato in the past with Cauliflower...I wonder if I could add just a touch to the "rice"? Just to help bind but not so much as to take away from the "rice grain" texture?

I am thinking if you don’t mind to mix with other ingredients, you can try to use bean curd (tofu). Just mash the bean curd and mix with cauliflower, guess it will more easy to shape it. :biggrin:

Good food is a lifestyle, and it's all about food and recipes.

An interesting idea Pangtv. I would be concerned about the moisture though. All that water from the Tofu would make the Nori soggy. Even if you pressed the water out it might be overly crumbly then?