• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

De Buyer Mineral: B or not (to) B ?

rotuts

sorry. Im in the dog house now!

Unpopular Poet put a B in my bonnet, which I actually appreciate, in the thread about the T-Fal pan.

Id forgotten about these pans, and well I do not need any pans, but ....

I looked at the 10 '' at William Sonoma and its hetfy.

I decided to get the 8 ", enjoy and lengthly seasoning process with Flax Seed Oil

(many thanks to Kerry Beal)

and use it just for eggs. then well ...

but there seem to be a 'Bee' series and a non Bee:

http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-Round/dp/B00462QP0W/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1366733328&sr=1-1&keywords=debuyers

2.2 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/De-Buyer-Mineral-Inch-Fry/dp/B002VPEFI0/ref=pd_sbs_k_13

2.6 lbs

Im guessing that the wts on the web sites are inaccurate, and that these are the same pans with or without a Bee.

after all I cant imagine a foundry making two types by weight.

any ideas here?

many thanks. sorry about the copy paste.

I have the 8 and10 inchers. The larger one is HEAVY. For me it isn't usable as a frying pan. I love the 8 inch for all kinds of stuff but honestly it doesn't compare to Teflon for eggs after years of use. Initially it was slick and great for eggs but after years of crud accumulating it's only partially nonstick at this point. I'd love to restore its original surface. Any suggestions ? Oven cleaner or something?

Ive done this with crepe pans from years ago: just get down to metal with oven cleaner and no coarse abrasive:

heat the pan to fairly warm, apply oven cleaner carefully I used to use the paste but it might not be available any more so you have to use the spray.

you might have to repeat several times. using heat helps but not hot.

then you start again.

I was aware of the bees wax thing, but it seemed very odd that if the pans are identical except for the imprint they would go to that trouble and run two lines.

the 10 " was really heavy you might have to be the Goven-nator to use anything larger.

I found their web site and they have an interesting video on the MineralB

http://www.debuyer.com/video.php?id=121&background=bleu1&start=8

this might be that video or move L and R at the bottom to get to the MB one. they show the pan being made, seasoning, cooking and clean up.

clever people those French: they do an fried egg, then its on the plate! no sliding out of the pan! no big deal.

they have a lyonaise pan that seems to be the same thickness and wt as the M.B. but w/0 the bees wax process. those pans are available you guessed it in a million shapes and sizes.

i tried to email them but its unclear w their set up and Capcha if that email went through. will report.

as price is the same, im thinking M.B 20 cm 7.87 " and a lot of flax seed Rx. for fun.

no they dont. but some of their pics suggest over time the whole thing gets black. and if dried after cleaning it (might not ) rust.

then again if you live in a very humid place year round ???

i remember seeing these pans a long time ago in France and they were indeed black as pictured.

you rub them with coarse salt if issues. and never soak them never use detergent, etc hot water in the pan itself rarely.

but the vid of the B's being made is a lot of fun to see !

I have cast iron skillets, cast iron and carbon steel woks, De Buyer Mineral B pans, and Spring USA Blackline pans:

http://springusacom.siteprotect.net/products/professional-cookware/blackline/

There was a recent eGullet thread on seasoning pans:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144193-reseasoning-cast-iron-flaxseed-v-grapeseed-oil/

My research suggested that of all the French-style carbon steel pans I'd be happiest with De Buyer Mineral B, and none I've seen since changes my mind on that. However, the Spring USA Blackline pans are hands down my favorite pans. Right in the middle between cast iron and stamped carbon steel, and a higher quality than either. One needs a different pan for acid reductions (even wine) and one might want a ligher pan for nimble changes of temperature. For general use beyond these restrictions, I reach for the Spring USA Blackline pans first.

I have the smallest three but not the largest, which is big. My source was

http://www.cooksdirect.com/product/spring-usa-2-quart-fry-pan/carbon-steel-fry-pans

It's hard knowing what to do, about seasoning such pans. I made many comparisons, and don't trust "this worked for me" advice from anyone unless they've also made comparisons.

There should be two words for seasoning: Getting that black base that protects the pan from rust and supports a nonstick effect after extensive use, and getting that nonstick effect from extensive use. I concluded that the first phase requires drying oils such as flaxseed, and the second phase requires starch (explaining why constant use also works):

• Nothing beast baking in many very thin coats of flaxseed oil, on all surfaces inside and out, for blackening a pan and protecting it from rust.
  • One can simulate months of use by frying a mass of potato chunks and kosher salt with bacon or other oil or fat.

For the second stage, pay attention, but let the starch stick. Then free it aggressively with a sacrificial wooden spoon, rubbing that spot till slick. One wants every part of the cooking surface to go through this, as the potatoes reach a dark brown roux color. Now the pan is amazingly nonstick, at least till one forgets and makes a wine reduction in it. Rinse and repeat.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

the starch element in non-stick is new to me, and thanks for that Bee in my Bonnet! I had no idea on why the DB-Bee had that

potato skins element in their initial seasoning.

I will eventually get the 7 " Bee as Id like a pan for the induction unit. I also like having a 'fine tool' that i can spend some time

when I have it maintaining it. sort of like having the Edge-Pro for my knives but touching them up with a JewelStix for day to day use.

thanks for all the info ! will look into the Spring USA Blackline pans.

for acid I use either my nickel plated french copper pans or steel lined. I have two All-clad saucier pans I use

a lot or non-stick. not all-clad non stick which is a waste of $$$

BB&B has into sets of one - two pans. mine are old calphalon that came as these into-sets.

BB&B still have these in newer grades and about double the $$ of the much older ones but they work very

well and will last a long time if you take care of them

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14506683

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18219131

dont forget your coupon!

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 7 years later...

I have 3 Debuyer mineral B. I got the mineral B because you can use on induction, which I don’t have anymore but did at the time I bought them. The bad thing with the mineral B is that they advice you not to keep in the oven more than 10 minutes and with a moderate oven temperature. It’s just the handle the issue. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

Oh good lord, Darto! They are beautiful! Not sure about shipping to the UK though? Does anyone have experience of that?

Thanks, @Franci. Yeah, I saw that they have a coating on the handle. But there is a pro version now? According to this guide  (which is a bit easier to understand than the De Buyer one haha) the only difference is the stainless steel handle. https://clnry.co.uk/collections/de-buyer Do you think it's worth going for the Pro? Do you miss not being able to use in the oven for long periods?

I liked the Dartos until they changed the design—I hate the new designs.

The sides are now more squared off than sweeping.

I'll stick with my 4 Mineral B pans.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 6/23/2020 at 4:11 AM, mikel_44 said:

Oh good lord, Darto! They are beautiful! Not sure about shipping to the UK though? Does anyone have experience of that?

Thanks, @Franci. Yeah, I saw that they have a coating on the handle. But there is a pro version now? According to this guide  (which is a bit easier to understand than the De Buyer one haha) the only difference is the stainless steel handle. https://clnry.co.uk/collections/de-buyer Do you think it's worth going for the Pro? Do you miss not being able to use in the oven for long periods?

I see now, I would they are oven proof! 

equal and perhaps more so 

than anything else we might have

but understand 

DARTO's do need conditioning before and while you use them

not a big burden , but something you might enjoy adding to the pans

if you dont , then DARTO is not someitng you would enjoy

I like both the older and the newer versions.