• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Won ton skins/wrappers

Ader1

I'm considering making my own won ton skins/wrappers. Has anybody here tried to make them? If so, do you have a recipe? I do have an Italian pasta maker with rollers so maybe that would be helpful? Any ideas most welcome.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering making my own won ton skins/wrappers. Has anybody here tried to make them? If so, do you have a recipe? I do have an Italian pasta maker with rollers so maybe that would be helpful? Any ideas most welcome.

Why? What's the reason?

dcarch

I suppose that the main reason being is that I can't get them locally. If ever I need to buy something not available locally, I have to do it over the internet which adds quite a bit to the price. Also, home make is fresher and usually better tasting.

I suppose that the main reason being is that I can't get them locally. If ever I need to buy something not available locally, I have to do it over the internet which adds quite a bit to the price. Also, home make is fresher and usually better tasting.

Good reason. In NYC every store has them.

Here is a tip:

When you roll them out, use plenty of flour so that the dough would not stick. When the sheet is thin enough, fold and roll again, more flour, fold and roll again -----

You can get the wrappers as thin as you like that way.

dcarch

I do have an Italian pasta maker with rollers so maybe that would be helpful?

I've never made them - they are available in every supermarket and market here in China.

However, many of the local kitchen supply shops sell "pasta makers" which are identical in every practical sense to the Italian ones. They are mainly used for making noodles, but they could equally well make the wrappers you want.

As thin as you can get.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Store bought wonton wrappers taste completely different from home made. The store bought ones are slippery and smooth whereas the home made ones are rough textured and have more chew. Given how much work wontons are anyway, the extra work from making the skins is not that huge.

PS: I am a guy.

I always make my own dough for wontons and asian dumplings because they taste so much better and they freeze very well. Here is a wonderful site and the author has a book just on dumplings which I use all the time. I have a pasta roller and use that quite often to get consistent thickness of dough or they can be made by hand with a little rolling pin: http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/