• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial SOM MOO Sausage

Hi

I am preparing to make Nam Khao, Laotian crispy rice salad.

I just purchased 4 commercially made packaged Som Moo sausages

Can I feel confident that I can eat this raw or should I cook it to be safe.

It is this type and brand

http://thaifoodandtravel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/fs3/sontep_25.jpg

AND can I freeze it?

Thanks

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

In theory, if properly made, som moo is safe to eat raw because it's fermented. But I think it all depends on how much you trust the som moo you bought, and whether you like the taste of raw meat. You'll find many nam khao recipes on the web that call for cooking the meat.

I've had nam khao in Laos and the meat was raw (and no, I didn't get sick). I've also had it at a local restaurant here in Seattle, and the meat seemed cooked to me (or at least partially cooked). I've made it at home once, and I decided to pan-fry the bits of som moo a bit. Probably not very authentic, but darn good, and more guest-friendly.

So it's really up to you.

I'm curious: where did you get your som moo? Also, which recipe are you using?

Okay so I fried the rice balls and I boiled the in wrapper Som Moo in a pot of water for 10 mins

till it was heated thru and sufficiently for me to feel safe about it..

I do not think Im gonna like this dish, but i could be wrong

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I loved the smell of that som moo sausage. I tasted a little and it was really good but I was too freaked out to eat it.

I pickled some ham in chili pepper and vinegar and made the Nam Khao and it was so GOOD. Those rice balls man! MMMMM!

If I could get that Som Moo sausage the day it was shipped to the store, Id probably eat it. As it were the sausages have no sell by or best by dates and I didnt know how long they had been at that store, so I was leary.

I shouldnt be leary though because whens the last time PORK was in the news for food poisoning? Its always VEGGIES, GROUND BEEF and Chicken... Never pork!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I made nam khao my initial plan was to add the som moo raw, but when it came down to it, I ended up cooking it. You're right that raw pork is not as unsafe as we tend to think it is, and som moo is heavily fermented, so it's supposedly quite safe. Also, because it's fermented, som moo should last longer than raw pork without spoiling.

I'm glad you enjoyed the dish! The crispy rice bits are my favorite - so good! If you ever come to Seattle, Viengthong is THE place to order this dish.