• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolate Desserts" by Pierre Herme (Part 2)

Patrick S

Amazing Patrick.

I haven't been following this thread with much attention, but each turn I look at it there's allways some amazing new stuff made by you.

I had never baked anything from PH. I've only tried a similar version of his "matcha green tea chocolate truffles", from the latest collection. In two weeks I'll be trying the originals in Paris. Nham nham

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Thanks so much for the compliments, Ling and filipe! I hope you'll be taking your camera with you to Paris, filipe!

Regarding the Plasir, I made some thinner chocolate sheets and reassembled some of them, and it was even better. The sheets should really be just a smear on the acetate, IMHO. If they are too thick, they obscure the other textures. If they are really thin, you get all the textures recognizably -- the chewy dacqouise with crunchy hazelnuts, the "fudgy" Nutella and ganache, another bit of crunch from the chocolate, and a smooth creaminess from the milk chocolate whipped cream.

I had some time after work today, and some good light, so I tried to get a better shot of the Riviera. I ended up getting one I like better.

gallery_23736_355_5696.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I hope you'll be taking your camera with you to Paris, filipe! 

Sure I will and I'll share the pics with you guys on the forum. You'll see the pics, I'll taste the goods :)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

i made a variation on the madelines yesterday/today.

i had no lemons, so i used orange oil as a substitute.

i doubled the recepie because i'm giving the batch so someone as a thank-you gift. the recipie called for (in the original version) the zest of 1/4 lemon. the text on the orange oil bottle said that 1/4 of the oil could be substituted for a tablespoon of lemon zest.

i couldn't quite remember what the average volume of half a lemon (zested) would be, so i winged the orange oil measurement. i believe i added just a shade under 1/2 a teaspoon. i know i added at least 1/4 a teaspoon, then i put a little more oil in the measuring spoon but did not fill it to the rim. it was, i think, half the measurement (which would make it either 1/8th of a teaspoon or 3/8ths.

both the batter and the finished product smelled heavenly (if you like the smell of orange), and the taste was very good. i'm pleased with them.

cheers --

I am a big fan of chocolate+orange, probably even moreso than chocolate+raspberry or chocolate+lemon, so I'll have to try that!

I decided to make the Pave again. This time I filled it with the caramel ganache, as usual, but finished it with the glaze, which I made according to Herme's recipe using Valrhona 61%, which is what I happen to have at the moment. Lucky for me, I have some left-over chocolate sauce from making the glaze, and I found that the chocolate sauce doubles as an amazing hot chocolate. I made the apricots but omitted them from the cake, instead adding a sprinkling on the plate.

gallery_23736_355_12588.jpg

gallery_23736_355_7459.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Lucky for me, I have some left-over chocolate sauce from making the glaze, and I found that the chocolate sauce doubles as an amazing hot chocolate. 

What an amazingly glossy & smooth finish, especially on the top picture!

There is a tiny French tea shop in Edinburgh called Plaisir du Chocolat, where they serve tiny cups of hot chocolate espresso. If your leftover chocolate sauce tastes anything like that, then it's as heavenly as it gets indeed :rolleyes:

You've got a good eye, man. You should definately think about food-styling. Its much better money than cooking...oddly...

I second you, Sethro!

Patrick, I don't know which I like better, the way you shoot photos or the way your cooking turns out!'

Both look pretty damned incredible.

2317/5000

I am a big fan of chocolate+orange, probably even moreso than chocolate+raspberry or chocolate+lemon, so I'll have to try that!

I decided to make the Pave again. This time I filled it with the caramel ganache, as usual, but finished it with the glaze, which I made according to Herme's recipe using Valrhona 61%, which is what I happen to have at the moment. Lucky for me, I have some left-over chocolate sauce from making the glaze, and I found that the chocolate sauce doubles as an amazing hot chocolate. I made the apricots but omitted them from the cake, instead adding a sprinkling on the plate.

gallery_23736_355_12588.jpg

gallery_23736_355_7459.jpg

Gorgeous as always, Patrick. I'm intrigued by the rounded top edges of your pave -- did you bevel it before glazing, or use some other trick?

Gorgeous as always, Patrick.  I'm intrigued by the rounded top edges of your pave -- did you bevel it before glazing, or use some other trick?

No, no beveling. The only "trick" really is inverting the loaf -- the top of the Pave is the bottom of the cocoa loaf, which is just rounded to the shape of the bottom of the loaf pan.

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! I'll never be able to repay you all for the encouragement and motivation and warmth I've recieved. You all are truly the best!

gallery_23736_355_2335.jpg

Patrick, I was thinking how wonderful it would be to have the vertical picture of the pave as a screensaver, then I saw the cut cake! Both the construction of the cake and the photos are fabulous. And the glaze is perfect!

Did you fall madly in love with the cake? I think it's brilliant. It's another great example of how a dessert can show off so many of chocolate's charms without being fussy, fancy or unnecessarily complex. With the pave, all the complexity is in the taste and texture, yet the look, which is incredibly simple, is so elegant and the finish so lush that it's impossible not to want to dive in.

I don't know how others feel about this, but I find myself much more attracted to simple cakes and cakes that are simply decorated than to those with lots of frills.

It's so exciting to see your work -- thank you for sharing it with us.

Patrick, I was thinking how wonderful it would be to have the vertical picture of the pave as a screensaver, then I saw the cut cake!  Both the construction of the cake and the photos are fabulous. And the glaze is perfect! 

Did you fall madly in love with the cake?

Of course. :smile: Caramel and chocolate are two of my favorite flavors, and the Pave marries them perfectly. Together with the Plaisir, its one of my all-time Favorite Things.

patrick (and anyone else who is interested), re the orange oil madeleines...

i've now made them twice (and will make another batch tonight, with slightly less oil).

for a point of reference, my SO came through the door right after i had pulled the second batch from the oven. he said they smelled "+aMAzing+," and it's worth noting that he's very vocal about not liking orange mixed in with his sweets. fwiw.

the first batch i made was given to someone as a thank-you gift, and she loved them and said they were delicious. the second person to whom i just sent the second batch should be receiving them just about now, and we'll see what she says.

i do love the orange aroma and the taste, but it does overpower the cocoa a bit (at least with the amount of orange oil i have employed thus far). tonight's batch will be made with just a tad less orange oil (1/8th per recipie as it's written in the book), so we'll see how that turns out.

i happen to love orange, so i don't mind (or perhaps even notice) how powerful it has been in these madeleines.

(and another voice in the chorus as to how much i enjoy and look forward to patrick's food pictures.)

cheers --

While we're talking about Patricks amazing photos............I recently bought this book and Patrick has us sooooooo spoiled that I thought the photos paled in comparision to Patricks!

.............AND the thing is Patrick is doing the baking as well as the photography..............I'm his biggest fan!!!!!!! I could plaster my home and work with poster size reproductions of his work.

Also, the grand chocolate tart again, while I was at it :biggrin:. Only this time I did not mess with the nougatine cookies, and simply whipped some leftover cream, since it was for an informal get-together -

gallery_34224_2175_30635.jpg

I have to say, this is the best-tasting sweet tart dough of the many I've tried. I don't care for chocolate desserts that much, so I ended up munching on the crust mostly.

Edited by Alinka (log)