• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolate Desserts" by Pierre Herme (Part 2)

Patrick S

Great looking tart Fanny.  I must say that I am not thrilled with Nutella as an ingredient.  I think the tart would work much better if you made your own hazelnut ganache.

I totally agree with you.

I thought of making my own gianduja, but given the time i opted for the easiest solution. I should let you know i am an avid 'use natural produce' baker but not this time.

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

I, on the other hand, find Nutella to be completely delicious, far better than any homemade hazelnut chocolate spread I've made.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I, on the other hand, find Nutella to be completely delicious, far better than any homemade hazelnut chocolate spread I've made.

Truth to be told, i've never made hazelnut spread before, but thought it would be delicious.

Sad to see that sometimes industrial products are better than homemade.

And while i'm confessional i should admit that i do love nutella. It reminds me of my childhood when i would always have slices of white bread thickly spread with nutella for my 'gouter'.

I even used to call these 'nutella au pain' [nutella with bread] because of the high nutella/bread ratio!

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

I thought of making my own gianduja, but given the time i opted for the easiest solution. I should let you know i am an avid 'use natural produce' baker but not this time.

I have made a hazelnut flavored ganache by infusing heavy cream with ground, toasted hazelnuts, straining out the nut powder and then making a ganache. This worked really well as a chocolate filling for my "fruit de mer".

I have made a hazelnut flavored ganache by infusing heavy cream with ground, toasted hazelnuts, straining out the nut powder and then making a ganache. This worked really well as a chocolate filling for my "fruit de mer".

Sounds good to me! Will try the next time.

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

• 1 month later...

Jean, I do nut have an answer to your question but.....

Today I am making the paves. I found the required pans at a HEB in Texas. I was shocked considering they didn't have them at Der Kuchen Laden in Fredricksburg. I also was able to get all the required Valrhona chocolates and apricots. I also found the potato starch. I love Texas!

I am about to put them together. I cannot wait to taste them. I will try to post a picture later this week.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

So I made the Nutella Tart and it was fabulous.  Now, I'm wondering what other inspirations any of you have come up with for the remaining tart dough that's in my freezer?

Individual or mini tart shells filled with his Lemon Creme. Mmmmm. I am not a big lemon dessert fan but his lemon creme is amazing! The tarts are lovely plated over some strawberry coulis.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks! Great ideas. In honor of Thanksgiving, I'll try pumpkin pie first but I do love anything lemon...dinner party next week. Had a second piece of the nutella tart and it really holds up well.

I'd love to see the paves. I'm tempted to buy the pans but I need a little encouragement.

I'd love to see the paves.  I'm tempted to buy the pans but I need a little encouragement.

Here is what the Faubourg Pave looks like covered with chocolate glaze.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mousse for the Concorde last night and while it tastes good it looked a bit funny, almost curdled. Is this normal? I was wondering if it happened because maybe my eggs were a bit too cold. I used it anyways (to fill a cake) but wondered how it is supposed to look.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I made the mousse for the Concorde last night and while it tastes good it looked a bit funny, almost curdled. Is this normal? I was wondering if it happened because maybe my eggs were a bit too cold. I used it anyways (to fill a cake) but wondered how it is supposed to look.

I did not think my mousse looked curdled when I made it. Here is my attempt: click.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have also made the Concorde and my mousse definitely did not look curdled.

I will say that I made the Concorde in advance and froze it, which softened the meringue considerably (which the recipe indicates is better) - I think I might have preferred it freshly made with more of a contrast between the crunchy meringue and the mousse.

Also would up covering it with a poured ganache and sticking the little meringue pipes on the ganache. I doubled the meringue amount (made a chocolate version for the layers and a plain for decorating) because (a) I suck at piping meringue and (b) I wanted hella amounts of decorative pipes on top.

Last but not least, I made the Pave - and I cannot begin to describe how much I loved it.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 2 weeks later...

Lannie -- Happy first birthday to your daughter! What a great way to celebrate. For our son's first birthday I made a cake from Simca's Cuisine. It was a really good white cake, soaked in Grand Marnier (I didn't think the tiny bit that was on his one spoonful would harm him -- and it didn't) and filled and covered with whipped cream and coconut. Unfortunately, I didn't know Pierre Herme then -- our son, Joshua, loves the Faubourg Pave.

Gorgeous as always, Patrick.  I'm intrigued by the rounded top edges of your pave -- did you bevel it before glazing, or use some other trick?

No, no beveling. The only "trick" really is inverting the loaf -- the top of the Pave is the bottom of the cocoa loaf, which is just rounded to the shape of the bottom of the loaf pan.

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! I'll never be able to repay you all for the encouragement and motivation and warmth I've recieved. You all are truly the best!

gallery_23736_355_2335.jpg

Patrick, I was wondering, I am going the Pave in a standard loaf pan, I wanted to know how far up do I fill the pan? I know I will have some batter left over.

Edited by oli (log)

Gorgeous as always, Patrick.  I'm intrigued by the rounded top edges of your pave -- did you bevel it before glazing, or use some other trick?

No, no beveling. The only "trick" really is inverting the loaf -- the top of the Pave is the bottom of the cocoa loaf, which is just rounded to the shape of the bottom of the loaf pan.

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! I'll never be able to repay you all for the encouragement and motivation and warmth I've recieved. You all are truly the best!

gallery_23736_355_2335.jpg

Patrick, I was wondering, I am going the Pave in a standard loaf pan, I wanted to know how far up do I fill the pan? I know I will have some batter left over.

Oh, I don't know -- maybe half way or a little more.

Oh, I don't know -- maybe half way or a little more.

Thanks Patrick, without your help I might have overfilled it.

• 1 month later...

It has been over a month since the last post in this thread. Has everyone stop baking Herme recipes?

I made the nutella tart the other day. I didn't find the tart to be that amazing. Don't think I would make it again.

gallery_37140_3241_521778.jpg