• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolate Desserts" by Pierre Herme (Part 2)

Patrick S

I couldn't get the glaze, so I scrapped the tart.

I too am addicted to the lemon cream. Easily the best lemon cream in the world.

I often make a lemon tart if enough survives my fridge raiding! :biggrin:

I don't have access to the glaze he wants, so what I do is sweeten some whip cream, and spread a thin layer on top. Delicious! The crust with the almonds he uses is also fabulous. Do not miss out on the tart because you can't get the topping. One dinner guest described is as a "better than sex" tart! :wub:

Also good in miniature tart size with a bit of sweetened whipped cream on top.

I think whipped creme fraiche would be great as well.

Life is short, eat dessert first

You can order it here.  After not finding it in the store I went looking online and when I saw the company it gave me the idea of trying other aisles.

Thanks laniloa but they don't ship to Canada. I have definitely not seen anything like that in the stores here. I will continue my search!

Carla

You can order it here.  After not finding it in the store I went looking online and when I saw the company it gave me the idea of trying other aisles.

Thanks laniloa but they don't ship to Canada. I have definitely not seen anything like that in the stores here. I will continue my search!

You might try here. They're local for me and I did see some in their store. If they don't ship to Canada, they might know who you could try up there.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 1 month later...

I’ve always loved Babba Au Rum. Had them as a kid at my uncle’s Patisserie in Lebanon. The Savarin from this book has been on my radar for a long time and I am so glad I finally tried it. Well, maybe we cannot call it a Savarin sine I have no Savarin mold. Instead I used this tacky setup :smile:.

gallery_5404_94_97128.jpg

Here is the angel-cake looking Savarin

gallery_5404_94_412484.jpg

And the finished soaked (after drying for 48hrs.) ,and glazed cake wth the whipped cream.

gallery_5404_94_678390.jpg

I served it with some extra rum on the side. I actually think I will be making more syrup next time, because I like it more soaked. Overall I really loved this one and I will be buying myself a mold for next time around.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I love the way the savarin looks, Elie. I was interested by your saying that you served it with more rum. I've noticed that often, in Paris, babas au rhum, which have been soaked in rum syrup, are served with a bottle of rum on the side, so you can add as much more as you'd like. I've even seen babas offered with a choice of 3 different rums!

I love the way the savarin looks, Elie.  I was interested by your saying that you served it with more rum.  I've noticed that often, in Paris, babas au rhum, which have been soaked in rum syrup, are served with a bottle of rum on the side, so you can add as much more as you'd like.  I've even seen babas offered with a choice of 3 different rums!

Too bad I only have on ekind of Rum....Meyer's dark. I put the bottle on the table and asked everyone to help themselves. Only my father-in-law and I decided to add a good shot to our serving. Too bad there was no Savarin leftover for later :shock: . I have to make this one again!

Swiss-

Yes, the cream is flavored with chocolate and vanilla sugar.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I’ve always loved Babba Au Rum. Had them as a kid at my uncle’s Patisserie in Lebanon. The Savarin from this book has been on my radar for a long time and I am so glad I finally tried it. Well, maybe we cannot call it a Savarin sine I have no Savarin mold. Instead I used this tacky setup :smile:.

What a great idea! And your end product looked fabulous! What size pan did you use? It looks wide, but not very deep...one of the reasons I've never made savarin at home is the lack of a good pan, though now that I've seen what you can do without one, I may just have to try it! Of course, I can get pretty good savarin from the bakery at my school, too!

Here is the angel-cake looking Savarin

gallery_5404_94_412484.jpg

And the finished soaked (after drying for 48hrs.) ,and glazed cake wth the whipped cream.

gallery_5404_94_678390.jpg

I served it with some extra rum on the side. I actually think I will be making more syrup next time, because I like it more soaked. Overall I really loved this one and I will be buying myself a mold for next time around.

This looks GORGEOUS. Can you say what book it's from? I'm trying to stock up on all the cook books I want for christmas.

This looks GORGEOUS.  Can you say what book it's from?  I'm trying to stock up on all the cook books I want for christmas.

I would guess it's from Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme, since it's the title of the thread. :smile:

But it could be from some other Pierre Herme book, too. I remember seeing it in a non-chocolate cookbook of his, but it might have been a slightly different version.

It is from the Chocolate book. You can see a picture of my less ingenious, more conventional savarin here.

I'm curious, Elie, as to what you thought of the pairing of the savarin with the chocolate whipped cream. I wasn't sure I went for it myself.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Yeah it is from the Chocolate book

I thought the chocolate whipped cream works quiet well, probably because of the cinnamon in the syrup. However, I do prefer the more traditional plain vanilla whipped cream with a babba or a savarin. so next time I might make both creams since everyone loved it so much.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here's my Tarte Grenobloise:

tartegrenobloise2.jpg

PH says it's OK to use a liberal amount of flour when rolling out the dough, but it still looks like I used too much..there is a faint dusting of white flour on the outside of the tart in some spots. (You can see it in the picture--looks like I chose the wrong side to photograph.) Other than that, the recipe is wonderful. I used Valrhona cocoa for the crust, and 7 ounces of Valrhona Manjari + 1 ounce of SB unsweetened b/c I didn't have any Guanaja on hand. (I'm getting about 2 kgs. in a few days though... :wub: )

Edited by Ling (log)