• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which is the best dessert for mother's day celebration?

sachishah

I guess it depends on circumstances, age of the kids, dessert preferences of the mother (and the rest of the family), location and therefore ingredient availability and seasonality...

Give me a combination of chocolate and (salted) caramel or a dessert built around a really good raspberry sorbet and I am a happy mom.

In cake/pie department, maybe brown butter financiers or lemon glazed madelaines, or my personal favourite (but hubby hates it) - lemin meringue mini pie.

For my mom it has to be chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. Or lemon meringue pie. For me, my tastes are pretty varied, but I usually like cake for any special occasiona. I'm kinda craving a good coconut cake, actually. Or something with pineapple.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

My mother has repeatedly hinted that she'd like strawberry shortcake for Mother's day dessert. I little while ago I made some drop biscuits that she loved and now she wants those with strawberries and whipped cream. I think I'll have to do that plus bring some chocolate cupcakes for the rest of the crowd!

Totally depends on the mom. If I were the mom I'd take:

Pavlova with lemon curd (or a lemon curd tart or home made lemon meringue pie)

A coconut cake with thick white mountain frosting liberally sprinkled with fresh grated coconut. If it had lemon curd between the layers you'd get extra double bonus points.

A raspberry/white chocolate mousse. With a few dark chocolate truffles alongside to cut the sweet.

A big box of New Orleans pralines, but I wouldn't share ANY of them, so bring something else for the other folks.

I am the Mom and if there's to be a cake, I'll be making it.

My favorites are:
- a chocolate bomb (cocoa) filled with two chocolate mousses (one milk, one 54-60% dark with booze in one), covered in a 70% chocolate glazed, adorned with little white chocolate fancies.

- three layer loaf shaped chocolate cake (same recipe as above), filled with orange/cream cheese/whipped cream filling and topped with a dark chocolate ganache. I think this is my favorite. Oh yes, Grand Marnier in the filling.

- a banana/raspberry/whipped cream semi-freddo topped with dark chocolate ganache (evolved into my own recipe)

Yum to all the above. Oh, a Margarita Pie with a crushed pretzel crust. Don't think I'll do any probably Sigh.... :huh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

In our neck of the woods, it's definitely Tres Leches Cake, preferably with strawberries between the layers. So popular for celebrations that its nickname in Spanish is even "celebration cake."

With strawberries, it looks something like this:

http://know.burrp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/strawberry-tres-leches.jpeg

You can google "Pastel de Tres Leches" for recipes.

Or you can just use this very wonderful one from Rick Bayless:

http://www.fronterafiesta.com/cook/desserts/155-pastel-de-tres-leches-celebration-cake.html

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...