• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Gilbert-South Phoenix metro area

I can find almost any thing I care to eat except acceptable Chinese. Everything I find is Chinese in Name Only. Panda Express is better than most sit-down restaurants. P F Chang's about the best in the market. Nothing against Chang's, It's just not what I'm looking for.

I was spoiled by having a Taiwanese friend that owns a restaurant in Atlanta. Yes, his is Americanized BUT he can and does fix some dishes special for his friends. I miss great Chinese. Heck even good would do.

Give me names of your favorites. PLEASE. Thanks.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

There's a dim sum place called C-Fu Gourmet at 2051 W Warner Rd #13 Chandler, AZ 85224. A large pan-Asian supermarket called Lee-Lee is diagonally across the street from it. I've been there, but as a vegetarian there was very little for me to eat. That said, they did serve chicken feet, tripe and congee. Apparently there is a bigger selection on weekends. They also have a menu you can order from.

A new noodle shop just opened up in the same shopping center as Lee-Lee, but I haven't been able to try that yet.

• 1 year later...

Tried the noodle shop a week ago. Not bad but... The wife did not like her chicken and noodles. I had beef and noodles. The chicken and beef both had a weird-ish soft texture. I'd give it another try as the flavors were decent. The crowd was three anglos and the rest orential. Watching the noodles being made was interesting.

Dwight

• 5 months later...

Tried the newly reopened Silver Dragon on Saturday. Pretty good food. They have Hong Kong stlye food on two different menus. One for American and one for Chinese tastes.

Two America couples and lots of Chinese families/couples. My wife liked her food a lot as did I. We'll be trying them again.

• Like 1

Dwight

• 6 months later...

For dim sum in that area, Mekong Palace is probably your best bet.  It's located within the Mekong Plaza on the SWC of Dobson and Main.  The setting is a little strange, as it feels like the restaurant is in the thoroughfare. 

A friend of mine brought me to an excellent northern Chinese restaurant last week called Chou's Kitchen.  Very good xlb, stir fried intestines with chili oil, cumin lamb, and other items.  It's the best example of northern Chinese food that I've had in AZ to date.  Several of the other tables were eating what appeared to be lamb or pork neck bones. They looked like they were braised in soy or black vinegar.  We didn't order them, but they were popular with the other tables.  Only downfall is that the place is a 30 minute drive from where I live. 

• Like 1