• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The MOST current food trends? (Been living in the sticks!)

mskerr

Have just spent 2 years living in a tiny town where I couldn't even get a decent burger (very strange, considering it was blue-collar ranching country, and there were cattle grazing on my property), let alone kimchi ramen or poached quail eggs or smoked tea or whatever. Have just moved to Austin, which I think has a pretty hip food scene, compared to where I've been living, although I guess food people here reckon it's always a few years behind NY or whatever.

Long story short: what are the food trends right now? What is quickly becoming passe? What do you predict will be the next trends?

Edited to add:

Related info, on the hot up-and-coming chefs, restaurants, cookbooks, etc are all gladly appreciated as well!

Edited by mskerr (log)

I'd have to say the answer is here: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143967-your-most-disliked-trend-in-the-food-industry/

As soon as as a trend is recognized as such, the 'scene makers' have already moved on, and it's really pretty much over, so knowing about trends is only good if you want to avoid them. Go with what you honestly appreciate, and sooner or later, it will be on trend [again], whether it involves eating uncooked food out of a hole in the dirt with your bare hands, the most recherché and refined dishes, or any and everything in between.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org