• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for sorbitol

mm84321

In short you can use it as a sugar substitute. It doesn't promote tooth decay and is lower in calories than sugar, and is more appropriate for diabetics, if those things interest you.

Confectionery - it is much clearer than sugar so serves very well in preparations that you wish to be clear, like sweets (candy) and gels.

Ganache and choclaterie generally- it retains moisture so stops these items going hard.

Baked goods - again, it retains moisture, but doesn't brown so has to be combined with sugar if you want your cake to look cooked.

Preserves - it doesn't crystallise like sugar so the preserve's texture will remain consistent.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

There is a fantastic recipe for Jacques Genin caramels here on egullet that uses sorbitol. I have made them several times, and even done blind tasting with the originals from Paris, my testers could not identify original from my own brewing. let me know if you want me to repost the recipe.