• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picked up some new rums on vacation

mickblueeyes

• 3 weeks later...

There is some information on these rums on the Rum Profiler on my site.

Anejo is my favorite Bacardi rum.

Doorly's XO tastes like a light whisky on the rocks, the final aging is done in Sherry casks at the distillery in Barbados.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 5 months later...

Just got back from Aruba. Stopped at the Duty Free kiosk upon arrival in Aruba and picked up a liter of Mt Gay Extra Old for $22 (which lasted us most of our visit). At the Duty Free on the way home picked up (all 750ML)

Flor De Cana Centenario $14.80

Flor De Cana Gran Reserva $11.85

Mt Gay Extra Old $15.50

Appleton Estate Extra $14.75

Haven't had an Flor De Cana before, but am looking forward to it based on other members comments. They also had the 5 year old FDC for less than $10. They were selling Zacapa for $46, I am still having a tough time getting past the $30/bottle barrier.

Based on the Flor De Cana label, it is imported into the U.S., if so, I have never seen it!

Flora de Cana are avalilable in Florida and Cailifornia ( at least ) and are rather good . I used to work at a shrimp hatchery in the Florida Keys and we flew flights down to Honduras 2 or 3 times a week, we used to have the pilots pick up the 4 yr Flora de Cana for around $4 a litre ! I once got a bottle of Flora de Cana Centenario 21 in the blue bottle with gold leaf lettering ...that was some tasty stuff indeed !!