• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Working in a Chinese buffet restaurant

PeppersGalore

Hi,

I'm new here. I was told about this forum by a family member. I have a question I would like to ask regarding work. I would like to learn about Chinese / Asian cuisine and I may get the opportunity to work in a Chinese Buffet Restaurant in the UK. I've heard good and bad things about this company. I suppose that they do cater for a clientele which isn't really that sophisticated in terms of their knowledge of Chinese / Asian cuisine. I don't think it will be easy for me to find a Chinese restaurant which will be wiling to take me on so I was quite excited at least initially when the possibility of working in this one came up. Do you guys on here think that I should go for it? I have heard Chinese buffets being described as the McDonald's of Chinese food. What do you think? Thanks.

You may or may not learn much about actual Asian cuisine (just because they serve food aimed at the local tastes doesn't mean they don't know authentic, sometimes that's a money decision) but, if you haven't already (you didn't say anything about your experience level), you'll start learning about working in a restaurant. Those skills can be useful for opening more desirable doors down the road which can eventually lead to getting where you want to be to learn what you want to learn.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My experience level is 'very little'. I've helped out in kitchens before. Today, I ate at this buffet restaurant. The starters were all brought in from elsewhere and basically heated up. On the other hand, most of the main dishes were 'cooked' on-site. I was offered to work there and if I want to, I begin next week. I think I should do so as if nothing else, by stir-frying and vegetable chopping skills should progress.

And I don't know much about the Chinese buffets where you are, but where I am, a great many of them have a Mongolian barbecue station. That's pretty hands-on quick cooking, and often in front of a crowd. I'd think you'd learn some nifty things there. Not to mention that, regardless as to whether or not the Chinese buffet turns out to be the absolute most wonderful and perfect place for you, you're learning something. It will help give you a resume and experience to build on. If you don't like it, you can quit. It's not like you're signing a contract to be an indentured servant for several years. My recommendation would be definitely to give it a try.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I agree with all the replies. If you're trying to break into the industry, they're offering you a shot. Take it. Either you'll like it and can start the climb to where you want to be. Or you won't like it and you can just skip that job when you update your resume.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe