• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vaporizers

shockhead

Dears,

has anyone of you experienced vaporizers to produce "spiced air" to bring it to the table as Grant Achatz did it? is it really necessary to buy a volcano or did some of you buy cheaper vaporizers, that worked fine? what spices did you use and what spices do not work at all? Im interested in legal use only!

thanks for your answers

The Volcano is probably the only trouble free vaporizer out there. Also, it's manufactured by a German medical device company which has ensured none of the components introduce toxins into the vapor. I'm not sure I would trust one made in China, given the possibilty of inhaling carcinogens. You can buy them used on Ebay, and they can be thouroughly cleaned pretty easily.

Edited by GlowingGhoul (log)

You might try visiting a local smoke shop and see what they have. I would imagine any vaporizer that has an active pump and temperature control could produce the same results. As said above I can imagine with reduced cost you will get lower build quality.