• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

Thanks for the background on this Hassouni. I am a little behind with my Buzzfeed reading apparently.

Yes, American Pale Ale (APA) is considered a distinct style in the US, and it's a popular one (see list here). Recent examples I've had - Stone Pale Ale of course, Green Flash 30th street pale ale, Publican by Societe.

Thanks, that is pretty vague on what makes the style distinctive, though.  IIR the diacytl is what gives beer the buttery flavour that they associate with English Pale Ale, so this would imply that the difference is mainly in the yeast and perhaps softer water for the APA. And of course more hops, because American beer tends to the extremes.  I still associate the citrusy hops with APA, which I think can be traced back to the early WA State microbrew, Grant's Scottish Ale (now sold out to some major and ironically in no way like a Scottish Ale, but that was good marketing).

Incidentally, I think of English Pale Ale, especially real ale, as usually having a low ABV and lower hop bitterness leaning towards the malty.  Must use English hop varieties or similar offshoots.  The water hardness varies by region, of course so isn't anything that defines the style.  I can't say buttery has jumped out at me but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

BTW, I'm really not a style-Nazi but sometimes it helps to have an indication of what you should be getting. Context is everything and I find really estery beer more acceptable if it is a Scottish Ale than if I get a glass of something billed as something else.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Shower beering was on one of those Buzzfeed posts called "things men do that women have no idea about" or something like that. I'm a man and I didn't know about it either.

What did you think that extra tap was for?  :cool:

Shower beering? New concept to me. Now I understand why you don't post photos.

Dogfish Head 60 min IPA. The head disappeared a few seconds after I poured. It's actually not that bitter (60 IBU). I mostly got citrus and some pine.

14047375139_e1fe250df3_z.jpg

Sadly none of the Dogfish brews do much for me. Though the IPA's are my favorites, or at least the only ones I can get down.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks, that is pretty vague on what makes the style distinctive, though.  IIR the diacytl is what gives beer the buttery flavour that they associate with English Pale Ale, so this would imply that the difference is mainly in the yeast and perhaps softer water for the APA. And of course more hops, because American beer tends to the extremes.  I still associate the citrusy hops with APA, which I think can be traced back to the early WA State microbrew, Grant's Scottish Ale (now sold out to some major and ironically in no way like a Scottish Ale, but that was good marketing).

Incidentally, I think of English Pale Ale, especially real ale, as usually having a low ABV and lower hop bitterness leaning towards the malty.  Must use English hop varieties or similar offshoots.  The water hardness varies by region, of course so isn't anything that defines the style.  I can't say buttery has jumped out at me but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

BTW, I'm really not a style-Nazi but sometimes it helps to have an indication of what you should be getting. Context is everything and I find really estery beer more acceptable if it is a Scottish Ale than if I get a glass of something billed as something else.

Here is a detailed guideline for APA. More hops, less malt, lighter feel for the American style compared to the English style. Quite different actually.

Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Overall Impression:Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.

• Like 2

A lovely Belgian-style Saison from Anchor, which incorporates lemongrass, ginger, and lemon peel for a Californian twist. Interesting and very refreshing.

14245015361_04e39d8321_z.jpg

A biere de garde by The Commons Brewery in Portland inspired by the beer from Northern France. Subtle and a bit earthy.

14054932327_d151f4df0d_z.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome! La Fin du Monde is superb, and TJ's house beer is pretty damn good, especially for the price; the Dunkelweizen is no exception!

As for me, Sunday night was several Red Stripes following a bunch of cocktails. The friend hosting me in NY knows my weakness for everything Jamaican, including their beer, and got a 6 pack for his apartment. I still say it's the best cheap, "international lager" out there.

Yesterday was a spirits tasting followed by $2 draft Hite, then more cocktails, then Weihenstephaner Hefeweisse, interspersed with a few more cocktails, then at my request for a cheap beer from my friend, a PBR.....which after all that other booze isn't so bad.

And now I need a few days' detox!

I had forgotten that I bought that beer at TJ's and didn't realize until I read your post that it was their house brand. I agree that it pretty good and a good value, and when I go back to Dallas in the fall I may buy it again. No TJ's in Oklahoma. 

Speaking of American Pale Ale, the latest offering at my office beer club was Beechworth Pale Ale.  Here was a beer that on first sip I knew it would be hard for me to score.  I mean it had a lot going for it, dry hopped, lots of hop bitterness and taste, bottle conditioned. I should like it, but I didn't.  Way unbalanced, just a crappy version of what it should be, but yeah, way better than say, Victoria Bitter and all the insipid Australian lagers. To top it off, the copy on the label was over the top nonsense and the Ned Kelly "A"s on the label were silly.

It did seem to get better by the end of the bottle so I graded it a generous 6.5 for taste and 8.5 for wank.

You will have to click on the link to see the bottle, since I don't want to get in trouble with the eG copyright policy.

I find Beechworth to be a funny one. The first time I had it was on tap. Place in Daylesford. Wine bar/chess sets at the tables/cool jazz in the background. I thought it was fucking great. Really nice beer. Then a year, two later I found it in bottled form at Dan Murphy's. It was pish, as you say. Stupid Australiana on the label and downright mediocre contents inside the bottle.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

How was it, and what type of beer was it? I've had a hard time determining what various Lagunitas beers are from their labels...

It is an amber (they call it copper) ale and like it quite a lot. Lots of malt, a little sweet. Not bitter at all. right up my alley!

• 2 weeks later...

Spröcketbier from Stone (Spotlight Series), a black rye Kölsch. Surprisingly low bitterness for something coming from Stone. Good level of malt/coffee, some fruit and spice, clean dry finish.

14322658981_e56fcec8a4_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

Went shopping for bourbon. Spotted, on the walk to the whisk[e]y section, Moa beer. Dead bird/New Zealand. Hadn't had the beer before. Three varieties on offer: a wheat, a pils and something else. Went wheat. The presentation of the box was nice but the marketing doesn't translate trans-Tasman, I think. I mean, it's pitched as 'beer for Olympians' so I'm assuming some New Zealand athlete promotes it but I have no idea who this person is. Granted, with my knowledge of sports if the athlete was Australian I still wouldn't know who they are. But. Yeah. The marketing's a bit pish, aside from the box that makes it look all upmarket and shite, but it's a passable wheat beer. Not my favourite by any stretch and I doubt I'd bother buying it again once I get through the four pack.

EDIT

Okay. A bit of research tells me that this is the official beer of the New Zealand Olympic team when they're competing in the Olympics and Commonwealth Games (for most of you: this is kind of like the Olympics but gets rid of all the teams that ordinarily do better than Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK so we can feel good about ourselves). So there's that.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Sadly none of the Dogfish brews do much for me. Though the IPA's are my favorites, or at least the only ones I can get down.

I think you are being harsh. The 60 min is somewhat forgettable, but the 90 minute IPA is great. I just had one a few days ago. Very hoppy but not overly bitter.

14398913243_12ae92d452_z.jpg

• Like 1

Lost Abbey Avant Garde (left) and Alpine Hoppy Birthday.

The Avant Garde is an old favorite. Hoppy Birthday is a new friend. It's a terrific American Pale Ale. Lots of hops, grapefuit, some orange, and very easy going overall.

14382929911_dd5d52c86c_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prairie Artisian Ale Funky Gold Moasic. A sour driven with

Grapefruit flavors. Perfect sipper for a hot Oklahoma

Afternoon.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Mountain Goat Organic Steam Ale. Brewed in Richmond, Victoria.  They don't say if they use a lager yeast and there is a fair bit of wheat that comes out in the flavour. Hops are nicely balanced and the label is pretty low wank.  I like this a lot but I think you could get away with serving it to insipid-lager loving tradies.

Abita Turbodog, a dark brown ale; and Abita Amber

Both are very good for the price, just over $1.00 per bottle when I go to the big liquor store in OKC. Turbodog is my favorite "everyday" beer. 

3 Ravens 55 American Pale Ale. Five (unspecified) hops. Blend of barley/wheat/corn/oats/rye. Really malty. Big. Assertive. This is not a beer you could dispose of by the six-pack. It's interesting. I'm rather fond of it.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Tried a couple other 3 Ravens offerings:

Golden Ale. Felt like a little brother to the American. Balance of malt/hop but not as complex, not as long in the finish. Easier drinking.

White. Belgian-style white jacked with orange peel and coriander seeds. Complex. Has this interesting aftertaste that is ... sweet. Not in the way of an alcopop but in a way that's kind of pleasant. Again, this is no session beer.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

My friend's sister works at DC Brau and had a car full of cases of half-filled cans of their Corruption IPA that she was giving away. I'm not an IPA fan but she insisted I take a bunch so I went off with two cases. Some of them really are only half-filled, but others are nearly full. I had a nearly full one last night, and it was fine  :biggrin:

Silly Saison. Sickly sweet. Can't imagine it having a particularly high Brix rating but, yeah, not good.

Burleigh Brewing's Hef. Stock standard German-style wheat beer. Which is to say a stock standard version of something I almost always like. This one was no exception. Probably the best Burleigh brew I've had--all the others I can recall have left me cold.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne