• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

James Squire releases a special every year-ish and this year's--although maybe it's a 2013 special and escaped my attention these past twelve months--is a 'copper ale'/traditionan English ale. I like it. A lot. I'm fond of most of the Squire range and I reckon it's the pick of them. Hope it's one of the rare specials that they add to the regular line-up.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 2 weeks later...

Going through the backlog. I thought I would start with beer for a change.

First things first, the superb Matilda from Goose Island, a Belgian pale ale (that Hassouni mentioned earlier). It has stone fruit, citrus, spice, some sourness, and a dry finish. It feels light and crisp, but has so much interesting flavors that it's gone in no time. My favorite butcher shop has it in stock these days, which makes me very happy (it does not take much).

13317869905_ec039a2f0b_z.jpg

• Like 1

Fat Tire amber ale (New Belgium). I hadn't had that one in ages. It's ok. Malt/petit beurre biscuit flavor. But it's very thin and watery, and does not have much body. I would not buy it again.

Back when I lived in the US I really liked their tripple, which stated it had some coriandre in it. I've not found a similar tasting tripple since I am back in europe (not for a lack of trying :raz:  )

Since you are in Europe, have you had a chance to explore Belgian beers? I imagine that a Belgian farmhouse ale would be something you may like. Try Saison Dupont for example. It's leagues above Fat Tire and has a little bit of that coriander flavor that you are looking for. As you may know, Fat Tire was inspired by Belgian beers, so you may as well go with the original!

Since you are in Europe, have you had a chance to explore Belgian beers? I imagine that a Belgian farmhouse ale would be something you may like. Try Saison Dupont for example. It's leagues above Fat Tire and has a little bit of that coriander flavor that you are looking for. As you may know, Fat Tire was inspired by Belgian beers, so you may as well go with the original!

I've tried quite a few different Belgian beers, and indeed found very nice ones. The New Belgian tripple was, if I remember correctly supposed to resemble Chimay. To my surprize, I prefer the copy over the original (though, I'd never say 'no' to a glass of Chimay either!!). I also love the Rochefort beers (both the 8 and the 10). I've never tried Saison Dupont, but will be on the lookout for it after your recommendation.

• Like 1

Next up, a wild card. A Trappist beer from... Austria: Gregorius from Stift Engelszell (that's a mouthful).

There is only a small number of beers that fall into that category. The International Trappist Association recognizes the following from Belgium: Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, and Westvleteren. Engelszell was entered into the category in 2012. And the first American trappist beer with Spencer from St. Joseph's Abbey was just launched earlier this year.

13480574834_4738564573_z.jpg

Back to Gregorius. It is very dark, almost black in the glass, and has little carbonation. The taste is slightly acidic with quite a bit of malt. Overall the flavor is quite flat. A disappointment.

• Like 1

Stone Old Guardian 2014, a barley wine.

13258661175_2b79d0d7e1_z.jpg

Nice amber color. Medium carbonation (but quasi-inexistent head). Extreme malt combined with hops that balance the caramel with bright notes and bitterness. It's rich and boozy (11.6% ABV) and feels relatively dry at the same time. Better than I remembered.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

Local and not.

- Sam Adams Boston Lager. Very drinkable but still interesting. Really like this beer. 

- Doss Blockos Pale Lager. Interesting label. Citrusy. Workable.

- Taj Mahal Premium Lager Beer. Least favourite of the various Indian beers I've had. It's for that metallic hop profile that reminds me of Leffe. This one isn't my favourite thing in the world. But it's Thursday night on the last week of the school term. And it's beer. So maybe that's enough.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Really like this one: Doss Blockos Rare Pilsner. There's some hipster shite--this beer's from Brunswick--on the label about this being rare. Bearded fixed gear bicycles aside, though, it's a great drop. Will have to pick up more.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Gage Roads Wahoo Kolsch.  It's decent although the beer web sites seem to give poor reviews.  Certainly better than your average Australian lager if you are after a lightish beer.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Firestone Union Jack IPA. I had a disconcerting experience with this one. I had it with Thai food that was not very spicy (chicken larb), but I could not taste the nuances of the beer. But I tried more on its own and it really grew on me. It's floral (I detected rose) with some honey notes, plus the typical grapefruit-pine of West Coast IPAs. The finish is bitter and dry and overall the flavor is actually super interesting. I ended up buying more at Trader Joe's.

13550356825_52f4417940_z.jpg

Last night I had Saison de Lente from the Bruery with dinner (chicken with caramelized shallots). It's a great spring saison that's available before Easter. I am stocking up before it disappears again. The price went down to $10 which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Single Take Session Ale. Kind of funky label on this one. All the writing, bar the 'Single Take Session Ale' and some stuff about apv and whoever imported this beer into Australia, is in Japanese. No idea what it says. Good beer, though. Nails simple without being ever being boring.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Another Baird. Rising Sun Pale Ale. Again I really like it. Like their Session Ale they've managed to make an approachable beer that isn't forgettable. Shame it's quite expensive--a case would be unreasonably priced. 

EDIT

And now InBranata. This smells weird. Fruity. Like ... mango. Tropical fruit. Taste retains some of that fruitiness but isn't as intense, and has much less of a tail, than you'd expect based on the nose. It's okay.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Another Baird: Suruga Bay Imperial IPA. Didn't do as much for me as the other two but I wasn't surprised by this--I rarely enjoy IPAs.

Oakham Ales' Citra. It's ... okay but is a bit much. As in, it's just not compelling enough, despite not being one dimensional, to justify the 500 mL portion. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

A couple locals:

Bridge Road Brewers Celtic Red Ale. By about half way through the bottle this one had grown on me a whole lot. 

Wicked Elf Witbier. I basically love wheat beers by default--and really malty beers, too--so this one was winner from the outset. Maybe not as good as Murray's Whale Ale, my favourite Australian wheat beer, but still bloody good.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Another local. The awkwardly-branded Vale/Lgr New/World/Lager/////. Really. Five forward slashes in a row. They're not fooling around. It's a serviceable lager. The most interesting aspect is the finish. Has a sort of ... breakfast cereal-ish quality to it. Like a spoonful of dry Rice Bubbles. 

Burleigh Brewing's 70s style 28 Pale Ale. Verging on utility beer.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Endeavour True Vintage Seasonal Somethingorother. It was pretty good. Not crazy different to most other Aussie craft ales but perfectly drinkable.

And, tonight, another Oakham: the Bishop's Farewell. Hoppy. Dry. Okay. I liked it better than the other Oakham but ... nothing about either compels me to run out and buy up all the Oakhams I can find.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome! La Fin du Monde is superb, and TJ's house beer is pretty damn good, especially for the price; the Dunkelweizen is no exception!

As for me, Sunday night was several Red Stripes following a bunch of cocktails. The friend hosting me in NY knows my weakness for everything Jamaican, including their beer, and got a 6 pack for his apartment. I still say it's the best cheap, "international lager" out there.

Yesterday was a spirits tasting followed by $2 draft Hite, then more cocktails, then Weihenstephaner Hefeweisse, interspersed with a few more cocktails, then at my request for a cheap beer from my friend, a PBR.....which after all that other booze isn't so bad.

And now I need a few days' detox!

Another James Squire special. Hop Thief American Pale Ale. What's maybe kind of interesting is each batch of this beer--and this is batch six--supposedly showcases a different variety of hop. Good luck finding a bottle-o that stocks more than one batch, tho'. I think it's a really good easy drinking beer. A good intro to shower beering, too, if you're yet to partake.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Another James Squire special. Hop Thief American Pale Ale. What's maybe kind of interesting is each batch of this beer--and this is batch six--supposedly showcases a different variety of hop. Good luck finding a bottle-o that stocks more than one batch, tho'. I think it's a really good easy drinking beer. A good intro to shower beering, too, if you're yet to partake.

That sounds odd to me.  I mean, when I think of an American Pale Ale (interesting that that has become a distinct style here - is it considered one in the US these days?) Anyway, it seems to me that this is pretty much defined by Cascade hop flavour/aroma or perhaps a very close relative of Cascade.  I mean if you put Hallertau or Goldings hops in, it wouldn't be much of an American Pale Ale IMO.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Shower beering? New concept to me. Now I understand why you don't post photos.

Dogfish Head 60 min IPA. The head disappeared a few seconds after I poured. It's actually not that bitter (60 IBU). I mostly got citrus and some pine.

14047375139_e1fe250df3_z.jpg

• Like 2

Shower beering was on one of those Buzzfeed posts called "things men do that women have no idea about" or something like that. I'm a man and I didn't know about it either.

Thanks for the background on this Hassouni. I am a little behind with my Buzzfeed reading apparently.

I mean, when I think of an American Pale Ale (interesting that that has become a distinct style here - is it considered one in the US these days?)

Yes, American Pale Ale (APA) is considered a distinct style in the US, and it's a popular one (see list here). Recent examples I've had - Stone Pale Ale of course, Green Flash 30th street pale ale, Publican by Societe.