• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

3 Ravens English bitter. This one just seemed a bit more one dimensional, a bit heavier handed than the other 3 Ravens offerings I've tried recently. My least favourite by far.

Feral Sly Fox Summer Ale. Citrus. Bitter. Carbonation. Fruit. Not a bad drop. Expect it'd take me a while to get through a case, though.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tStout (2013 collaboration series). Imperial stout brewed with pecans, wheat, and rye; 1/4 aged in bourbon barrels.

Coffee and bitter cocoa notes. Medium body and carbonation. Bitter/ slightly tannic finish. The high alcohol content (13%!) is well masked. Not unforgettable but it was very nice with steak.

14568310943_75343e5487_z.jpg

Modern Times Lomaland Saison*. Gotta support the local breweries! This one happens to be located less than 5 miles from where I live, so it would be hard to be more local unless I start making beer in my garage.

It's on the light side, refreshing with lemon and dry grass notes, and pretty dry.

14560305923_dd14335c5f_z.jpg

* I forgot the interesting bit. The beer is named after an utopian colony that used to be located in Point Loma in San Diego at the beginning of the century. Only a few buildings remain.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Für den deutschen Sieg gestern, Weihenstephaner Helles Lager. Mmmmmm

The Lomaland is an American take on a Belgian-style beer, so I guess I am not really taking any sides today.

But I am brainstorming on what will be the best way to celebrate France's ultimate victory.

A thought for the Swiss last night with this bière de garde from Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2011 (BFM), aged in oak barrels.

It took me a bit by surprise - I am not used to this type of flavor profile. It's alcohol-forward with some apple cider, a lot of dried fruit (raisins), and a distinct sourness. The finish is tannic.

14553728634_f3e2eafcc0_z.jpg

• Like 1

The Lomaland is an American take on a Belgian-style beer, so I guess I am not really taking any sides today.

But I am brainstorming on what will be the best way to celebrate France's ultimate victory.

What ultimate victory ? ;)

(and yes if Germany plays as against Algeria France might actually win)

A thought for the Swiss last night with this bière de garde from Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2011 (BFM), aged in oak barrels.

It took me a bit by surprise - I am not used to this type of flavor profile. It's alcohol-forward with some apple cider, a lot of dried fruit (raisins), and a distinct sourness. The finish is tannic.

14553728634_f3e2eafcc0_z.jpg

Saint Good Dog???

• Like 1

Saint Good Dog???

I didn't get it at first either. The drawing on the label is of a cat, not a dog. Very confusing.

Here is the explanation from their website.

Oh, I forgot it : Bon-Chien (Good Dog) was the first brewery's cat and she got holyfied when she died and became straight on Saint Bon-Chien. If you ever come and visit us, ask for it in French : "une Saint Bon-Ch' please" !

I didn't get it at first either. The drawing on the label is of a cat, not a dog. Very confusing.

Here is the explanation from their website.

Makes sense to me since I usually call our cat Puppy (her real name is Pinot so I suppose this should get moved to the wine forum).

Sounds like an interesting brew, no matter the species.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Another of Moa's 'up market' offerings. Well. Offerings sold in individual bottle w/ cork top/wire cage/slightly higher price tag. This one's called St Joseph. Brewed in the style of a Belgian Tripel. Boozy. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

A local IPA: Sleeping Giant. For a beer that isn't of my preferred style--I tend to find a lot of the designer IPAs overdone in the hop department, almost like someone's trying to prove something--I like this. Easy drinking.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Spaten Lager, Paulaner Hefeweisse, Hofbräu Lager, another Hofbräu Lager given to me for free cos of my German flag cape and chanting auf Deutsch, another random dark German beer given to me for same reason (probably Spaten Optimator)...all in litre draft pours....

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Spaten Lager, Paulaner Hefeweisse, Hofbräu Lager, another Hofbräu Lager given to me for free cos of my German flag cape and chanting auf Deutsch, another random dark German beer given to me for same reason (probably Spaten Optimator)...all in litre draft pours....

Nice.

I went with a shot of Underberg (ok, not a beer). It was either going to be that or Fernet, so it was win-win.

14647105882_22c3085152_z.jpg

... and, later in the day, this very nice Shegöat Weizenbock style beer from The Bruery (more info here). Also grilled sausages for good measure.

14657449002_4e7895dc19_z.jpg

• Like 2

Nice.

I went with a shot of Underberg (ok, not a beer). It was either going to be that or Fernet, so it was win-win.

14647105882_22c3085152_z.jpg

... and, later in the day, this very nice Shegöat Weizenbock style beer from The Bruery (more info here). Also grilled sausages for good measure.

14657449002_4e7895dc19_z.jpg

Nice indeed. I never want to see beer again. (For at least a few days  :biggrin: )

How is Underberg as a shot? I was looking for some but the nearest retailer was not in staggering distance....was für ein schön Siegwurst auch!

• Like 1

Cooper's Vintage '13. Some months on from when I originally tasted it. A big beer. 2.1 standards. Malt then yeast then more malt and then some hops. A robust, satisfying beer. Can't do much better locally, I think. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

How is Underberg as a shot? I was looking for some but the nearest retailer was not in staggering distance....

It tastes a bit medicinal as expected, not very bitter relatively speaking, very licorice-forward. It did not feel particularly strong although it is 44%, but it's a very small bottle - 20 mL or 0.68 oz. The bottle is adorable by the way. I really wish I could get the truck, but I would need to drink another 335 more bottles and that is quite unlikely as I don't care much for licorice. Also at $2 a bottle it's not cheap.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Hah, that truck is awesome! My beloved Montgomery County (MD) monopoly shops are the only place I've seen Underberg sold, but I've never bothered to try it....

PS: Beer! I am going to a happy hour tonight where I will probably have a Breckenridge Summerbright (my neighborhood bar's HH draft special, $4 a pint) - pretty good stuff, apparently a wheat beer, but it has a lot in common with a malty golden ale.

New Cooper's. Artisan Reserve. A pilsner. Clean. Accessible compared to, say, Cooper's vintage offerings or even their flagship Sparkling Ale. It's marketed as a craft beer but, honestly, tastes a little ... generic. Bitter. Crisp. Fairly carbonated. Malt. Like one of any number of approachable tap beers. That's not to say it's bad ... but it's not something you'd even pick up as a change if your go-to beer was something else from the Cooper's range. Not their finest hour.

[Host's note:  To avoid an excessive load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues here]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne