• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale. Long name. Nice dark ale. A bit of chocolate kicking around there. The best of the Sierra Nevada's I've tried so far.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

The Fish Shop in San Diego (Pacific Beach) always has a nice (small) selection of local beers on tap. This weekend they had a coconut brown ale from Mission Brewery. It was malty, a little bitter/sour and quite refreshing despite the dark color. You could taste the coconut in the finish but it was subtle.

8258337223_775a44842e_z.jpg

-Pipeworks Citra Ninja: A total citrus bomb of a DIPA, but certainly one of the best DIPAs I've come across in a long time.

-NG Serendipity: unsurprisingly similar to Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, this is another very well constructed fruit beer from folks at New Glarus.

James Squire's Golden Ale. Had it a million times before but not for the longest time. Like Coopers, for a mass market (hey, it kind of used to be ... not mass market, but that's all changed, right?) local brew it's pretty good. I mean, when I was given a $50 Coles-Myer voucher and saw that Coles had cases going for $50, well, that wasn't something I needed to think long and hard about.'

One thing that's a shame about Squire, tho', is the seasonal specials. They used to be really interesting but have, in the past, 3-4 years, become somewhat ... insipid things. Gone are the days of say, Rum Rebellion. Mass market success isn't always a good thing for the punter.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Drank a Ballast Point Imperial Porter the other night. Beautiful dark beer, flavored with vanilla and coffee, wonderful.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds great, but I've never seen it in stores :-(

Where did you get it?

I got it at a Bevmo in San Diego. I'm almost certain its a seasonal beer. A friend of mine had given it to me last year a few times, that's when I fell in love with it, but then he said they stopped making it, which I trusted because he does some work with Ballast Point. I was in Bevmo the other day and saw the bottle with a 'New' tag right by it, so I'm assuming its seasonal.

The other day I went back to Bevmo and got a Stone Smoked Porter, one of my favorites.

I got it at a Bevmo in San Diego. I'm almost certain its a seasonal beer. A friend of mine had given it to me last year a few times, that's when I fell in love with it, but then he said they stopped making it, which I trusted because he does some work with Ballast Point. I was in Bevmo the other day and saw the bottle with a 'New' tag right by it, so I'm assuming its seasonal.

You are right, it is a seasonal beer and therefore it is a little harder to find. I will check BevMo, thank you!

You are right, it is a seasonal beer and therefore it is a little harder to find. I will check BevMo, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

On New Year's drank several treats I had in the fridges, including some Troegs Mad Elf (around 11%, strong, subtle cherries that develop on the palate as you work your way through it), and a few selections by Boulevard Brewing. I have really enjoyed their Dark Truth stout, but even moreso I really loved the collaboration stingo they did with Pretty Things (Mass., I think). The stingo (as I read on the label, a 17th century English style) was pleasantly sour and delicious. Right now I'm drinking an assortment of Starr Hill beers out of Charlottesville a friend left.

-HF Daybreak: collab with Mikkeller. Stout with citrus.

-HF Juicy: Barrel Aged Farmhouse ale.

-CCB Moat Water: Imperial Stout with vanilla and coffee aged on maple. I haven't been overly impressed with a lot coming out of CCB lately, but this was an excellent beer.

-Bourbon County Cherry Rye: lots of cherry syrup flavor, but not too much rye, this really isn't an improvement over "regular" BCBS. Much too sweet for my taste.

You won't believe what happen yesterday. Me and my friend was on some gas station to buy beer. Saw some Russian beer and decide to buy it. When we get home and opened the bottles and surprise! Inside was water!!!! We so laugh because we could not believe what just happen...

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Dogfish Head's Theobroma: an ale jacked with chocolate and ancho chilli and a few other things. It's not one of those chilli beers that's actually hot, but at the same time the chilli flavour just runs all over everything else. Interesting for a sip and then not entirely enjoyable. Texture was slightly off, too. I've yet to find a 'flavoured' or gimmick beer I've enjoyed, actually. I suspect that part of the issue was they seemed to be using powders. Cocoa powder. Ancho chilli powder. I think that might've been part of the problem.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

La Citrueille Celeste de Citracado

Bruery, Elysian, Stone collaboration 2011

Ale brewed with pumpkin, yams, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena, and birch bark

8410443506_ca915e1b05_z.jpg

Sap comes first, then spice. It's smooth, deep, smoky, a little sweet.... wonderful! I wish this were available more often.

Another Matilda Bay: Alpha Pale Ale. Of the Matilda beers I've had/can vaguelly remember this one, I think, is the best. It's by no means a challenging ale but especially in the midst of summer (see also 36C) it's pretty good. Superior, yeah, to the newer Minimum Chips. Check this one out, haresfur.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne