• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

I'll go first.  Yesterday I drank Corona during happy hours, and later a Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

The former: Always good and thirst-quenching in the Florida heat.  Let the sun shine....

The latter:  Mmmm...  :wub:

All of them :D

Tom Gengo

• 3 weeks later...

Kasteel Cru, a fine lager made with Champagne yeast. This is probably the lightest and most refreshing beer I have ever had. It is so unique, it almost tastes like a beer at the start and then finishes like a champagne. Expensive stuff but worth the price.

Southern Tier Gemini, a blend of ST's Unearthy and ST's unfiltered Hoppe.

A very nice beer with quite a complexity. There is a lot going on here between the yeast, malts, and hops resulting in a beer with citrus hop aroma and a sweet, fruity maltiness. However, it is too sweet side for my tastes and, for a IPA, the hops are certainly playing second fiddle to the malts.

Maui Brewing Coconut Porter

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA

Maui Brewing Big Swell IPA

Very good stuff.

The Coconut porter has a lovely coconut taste, very nice beer.

DFH is not as fresh as it possibly could be out here on the west coast... but still nice beer. For a malt forward imperial ipa, not much better out there.

Big swell is a nice "restrained" ipa. I say "restrained" because being on the west coast, ipas that aren't pretty dry and ridiculously hoppy aren't that common. I can imagine it being awesome on the beach, very smooth drinking, pleasantly hoppy without being overbearing.

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA

DFH is not as fresh as it possibly could be out here on the west coast... but still nice beer.  For a  malt forward imperial ipa, not much better out there. 

Wow! I guess in the land of PTE and Ruination, 90min comes across as being "malt forward." Wish we got the hop bombs you guys get out there.

Just had a Stone wine barrel aged 07.07.07 Epic over the weekend. Crazy interesting beer. A unique sweet and sour, grapey tartness hanging on a light, sweet malt backbone. Virtually no hops, but I'm not so sure hops and wine would get along together anyway.

Wow!  I guess in the land of PTE and Ruination, 90min comes across as being "malt forward."  Wish we got the hop bombs you guys get out there.

Possibly... I'm a little suspicious that the distributor in our area isn't good at getting these things fresh... I've had a couple that were more hoppy than others. I'm relatively certain DFH 90 wouldn't hit the hoppiness of PTE or Ruination.... but I'm pretty sure it's hoppier than I usually taste it. Oh well.

edit: I should say... the distributor in my area isn't terribly good at selling craft beer - so it probably sits around for a while.

Edited by theisenm85 (log)

Possibly... I'm a little suspicious that the distributor in our area isn't good at getting these things fresh... I've had a couple that were more hoppy than others.  I'm relatively certain DFH 90 wouldn't hit the hoppiness of PTE or Ruination.... but I'm pretty sure it's hoppier than I usually taste it.  Oh well.

edit:  I should say... the distributor in my area isn't terribly good at selling craft beer - so it probably sits around for a while.

Dogfish Head bottles are stamped with a "Bottled on" date, yellow ink "dots" on the neck. Unfortunately, the dating can be wiped off rather easily with a damp rag (I'm sure that'd be accidental- you know, while a retailer was "dusting"). If you're not seeing the date, I'd pass on a Delaware beer sold in California. In neighboring NJ, I won't buy any 90 Minute or 60 Minute ales that are more than 3 months past the bottling date.

Edited by jesskidden (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I can't drink alcohol but am active on the Amber list, and one of the members posted the following link earlier today.

Fossil Fuels Beer

I thought someone might be interested.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

Stone/Jolly Pumpkin/Nogne Holiday Ale

BuckBean Orange Blossom Ale

Kostrizer Schawrzbier

Buckbean Scharzwbier

Spaten Oktoberfest

Spaten Optimator

Paulaner Salvator

Krusovice Dark

Warsteiner Dunkel

other....

I was falling off my chair!

Just kidding. Most were part of a Beer Judging Certification Program class. All were just tastes, so no real alcohol intake.

• 1 month later...

A very nice strong ale, malty and memorable. Looks nice in the glass. . .

gallery_42214_6390_33140.jpg

ETA image of Fuller's 1845

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Theree beers made it into the beer fridge last week:

Flying Fish Oktoberfish, denser, richer, maltier than last year, with a discernable hop bite, a very nice Festbier indded!

Saranac Pumpkin Ale, my beer of choice with a hot plate of nachos; subdued spicing, nice round mouthfeel with nice amlt profile

Yards Brawler, the brewery's session beer, a roasty, toasty brown mild that satisfies greatly, and goes well with steak, beef stew, even maple-glazed grilled salmon!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Had a very satisfying pint of Abbot Ale in London this weekend--a bitter with a good balance of malt and fruit and pleasantly mild, natural carbonation that one doesn't find in American commercial brews.

• 5 weeks later...

yesterday at one of my regular pubs: St Feuillien Saison (delicious!), De Leckere Organic Pilsner (okay),

Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale (any more 'aromatic' then it would be soap. i'm allergic to cascade hops.), and Jopen Gerstebier (a new very nice and refreshing barley beer by Jopen).

• 1 month later...

My preferred current daily tipple is Greene King IPA, brewing beer since 1799, I will read you the blurb on the can.

An award winning, perfectly balanced, premium quality beer brewed in Bury St Edmunds Suffolk.

Award winning Green Kind IPA is easy to drink, making it the perfect choice for any occasion.

The characteristic hoppy taste and aroma comes from the use of Challenger and First Gold hops, which are combined with pale and crystal malts to create this perfectly balanced, premium quality beer.

I'll drink to that

Cheers :biggrin:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 3 months later...