• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

Tonight I will be slowing sipping a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.  I had one recently and it blue my head off.  Can't wait...

Sorry, that's blew my head off.

Yowza, you aren't kidding about that.

Got a couple bottles of this in my beer club this month.

Drinking one now and it nearly qualifies as a cocktail!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Tonight I will be slowing sipping a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.  I had one recently and it blue my head off.  Can't wait...

Sorry, that's blew my head off.

Yowza, you aren't kidding about that.

Got a couple bottles of this in my beer club this month.

Drinking one now and it nearly qualifies as a cocktail!

Hahahaha...That 13% ABV doesn't play around does it? A friend of mine that split one of these with me said, "this could basically be called a coffee/bourbon liqueur."

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Hahahaha...That 13% ABV doesn't play around does it?  A friend of mine that split one of these with me said, "this could basically be called a coffee/bourbon liqueur."

Yeah, sharing is probably best, I couldn't finish the whole thing it was so rich.

It's like drinking a bottle of bourbon coffee creme caramel.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Bell's Twohearted Ale to accompany homemade chana dal and naan.  It was excellent.

Had one of these this week while waiting on my pizza at Waldo Pizza. Really enjoyed it.

We don't get Bell's out here in California, but it is one of the things I look forward to when I travel back to Wisconsin.

And their Two Hearted Ale is one of my absolute favorites. IMO one of the best IPAs currently made in America.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Bell's Twohearted Ale to accompany homemade chana dal and naan.  It was excellent.

Had one of these this week while waiting on my pizza at Waldo Pizza. Really enjoyed it.

We don't get Bell's out here in California, but it is one of the things I look forward to when I travel back to Wisconsin.

Yeah, well you have a great bar like Alembic and we don't. So we're even. Sorta.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Had a Bell's Hopslam last night from the tap and this stuff was absolutely lovely.

You had that in the KC area? Where?

They have three kegs at The Flying Saucer downtown.

They actually have it at The Foundry in Westport as well. I had that and some St. Bernardus Abt 12. I was surprised that they had a keg of St. Bernardus.

At the 17th (or 18th, I forget) FRIDAY THE FIRKINTEENTH at the GREY LODGE PUBLIC HOUSE in Philadelphia:

Philadelphia Brewing Co. JOE, rich with cocoa and coffee, and a nice chewy texture;

Blue Point Oatmeal Stout, a bit thin, and lacking the depth it had when I enjoyed it at the brewery in Patchogue, NY;

Iron Hill North Wales Bourbon barrel Porter, hefty, thick and slippery, bursting with burnt vanilla, oak, leather and packing a bit of a wallop, and the best beer I had that night.

20 firkins served at this event, which started at Noon on 2/13, 7 firkins at a time, and they all kicked by 7PM. Damn.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I opened up a 2006 Sierra Nevada Celebration last night with dinner (a red curry chicken stew over rice), and it was quite interesting; hints of bourbon, more burnt sugar, apricot and spiced wafers, a nice evolution of the beer over 3 years.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

The brand new Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

Spectacular.

Citrusy, slightly piney, floal, sweet evem with a monster billowy head, ripe grapefruit aromas and initial taste, a smooth, serene finish,

Spectacular.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to second Rich's assessment of the SN Torpedo IPA. I happened to be in southern New Jersey last week and stopped by Joe Canal's in Marlton. That store is great, by the way, simply for the selection. I live in Pennsylvania, which has strange laws about selling beer - a dedicated beer store can only sell cases or kegs, while a place that sells food can sell takeout six-packs. That sort of limits the sampling of many beers, since I don't always want a full case just to taste something and the smaller six-pack places usually don't have a varied selection.

Anyway, back to the Torpedo - I picked up two bottles along with a bottle of Bigfoot (SN's barley wine), some of Unibroue's beers, a couple of Dogfish Head's, and a Southern Tier Cherry Saison. I am very impressed with the Torpedo. Rich's description is perfect and I can't add anything to what he said.

Pliny the Elder - on tap (or maybe it was cask?) at the Linkery, San Diego, 3/7/09

This is my second time having this beer, and first time in tap/cask/not-bottle. In the bottle I had detected an unpleasantly bitter note in the finish that put me off a little bit from an otherwise exceptional beer, but on tap it was fantastic, with a smooth (with bitterness, but much more in balance). Pliny was piney, hoppy, and delicious. One of my favorites.

Ayinger Celebrator - on tap at Local 44, Philadelphia, 3/5/09

My new favorite beer. Looked like foamed coffee in the special glass, and lived up to the doppelbock's reputaiton as "liquid bread." If you see it anywhere, and you're a fan of malty, beautiful beers, you absolutely must have this.

I had some Bell's Hopslam the other night(personal fav), as well as the new SN Torpedo which I thought was allright but was not worth the hype I have heard. I also tried the Stone 08/08/08 Vertical Epic, that was fairly tasty but the 5 dollar price tag for the bomber was a bit much.

Living in the Northern Ca. Bay Area I have access to lots of great micro brews. We have a home dual tap to cut down on recycling and overpaying for good beer. We currently have Marin Brewing Breakout Stout and Moylan's ESB on tap. I had an ESB when I got home last night. It was killer! Nothing like topping off the secound brew with a little stout. Yummy! :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

Anchor Brewing Co. Bock

This brand new bottling from Anchor pours big and full with a tall khaki head; upon settling you get an immediate whiff of bourbon and wood. First sip is a little thin, but with a semi-sweet chcocolate note on the back of the tongue. Silken mouthfeel. Delicious.

Enjoyed a couple of these during our weekly beer chat on Starchat. With a bag of Pennysticks Hard Amish pretzels!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I'll go first.  Yesterday I drank Corona during happy hours, and later a Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

The former: Always good and thirst-quenching in the Florida heat.  Let the sun shine....

The latter:  Mmmm...  :wub:

Raining and chilly here in Seattle - Deer Creek oysters and Penn Cove Mussels with Alaskan Smoked Porter. Life is most pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

Results from March Madness, Round 1

(in which 3 American expats in Holland subject all the Belgian beers they can get their hands on to a systematic, rigorous blind taste-testing)

Abbey-style Triples, Set 1:

(in order from best to worst)

Corsendonk Agnus

This tasted typically "triple" - the faintest bit of sweet. It didn't have any of the off-characteristics of the next two, which were a close 2nd and 3rd but still very different from one another.

Witkap-Pater Tripel

The hoppiest of the four. Triple meets pale ale. C and P tasted pot. Hmmm...

Leffe Tripel

This most ubiquitous of the Belgian triples turned out surprisingly good. Triple meets Belgian wheat beer. Not too strong of a flavor. Refreshing.

Val Dieu Triple

Of the four today, this is the only beer actually abbey-brewed (and the only non-Trappist abbey-brewed beer in Belgium). The others may have some financial arrangement with an abbey (like Corsendonk) or just have an abbey-sounding name (like Witkap). Despite the authenticity of this beer, it came in a distant fourth. Tasted like socks.

Dinner: Grilled Shad with Bearnaise Sauce (from Davidson's North Atlantic Seafood)

Edited by BCarroll05 (log)

• 1 month later...