• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

I'm currently drinking a Yuengling Lager. Now, before you start rolling your eyes at this, let me say that it is humid here and approaching 90 and I just finished shoveling two loads of topsoil. At this moment, nothing could possibly taste better. I think I'll have another.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was homebrewed rye pale ale on tap.

This afternoon, Orval, bottled Nov. 2006. Funky-fruity, well-aged and complex. I still wish I could taste it fresh: I love it the way we get it here in the US, with the Brettanomyces well-established, but I just know that with under 3 months of bottle age this is a superbly crisp, lightly fruity and spicy blonde.

Regards,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Going out for a bit tonight. The worst part about living in WV is they have some stupid law that says that you're not allowed to sell beer over 6.0% ABV unless it has malt liquor on the packaging (I know it's not over 6.0%, I'm just not sure if the malt liquor part is correct)?

That really limits what you can get here. Fortunately I live in a small college town less than five minutes from Maryland and I can always run and pick up the good stuff. Unfortunately that leaves most bars lacking in selection here and I'd rather drink and walk than the other alternative...

Anyways...My local bar that tries to stock some decent brews carries Boddingtons. I know it's not what I consider a great beer, but I don't mind knocking a few of these back as they're pretty smooth and better than the usual domestic selection.

I'm also going to make it a point to get one of the Franzaskaner Heffewiesens(Yeah, I butchered that) while I'm out. They're pretty good and I enjoy a good heffe.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 6 of Blue Moon Pumpkin -- I remember that being the first fall-flavored beer I had ever tried. It was really pumpkinny and strong years ago.

Now? It tastes like Coors with a clove and cinnamon thrown in at the end. So incredibly disappointing.

If you like pumpkin beers try either dog fish head or scharfly both have more malt beer flavor, but with a little spice. Two of the best I have found this season and what I have been drinking the past two weeks.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes

• 1 month later...

Stone Double Bastard+ Lagunitas Brown Shugga + Homebrew Best Bitter

The double bastard seemed lighter hopped than last year, was a little disappointed, but stone brew is stone brew.... always amazing

The brown shugga was extremely young. Drinkable, but I'm laying down 3 for next year.

The best bitter went down real nice. A little over hopped, but i'll take care of that next time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in Delaware for the Thanksgiving holiday, so of course... fresh draft Dogfish Head. I chose the 60 Minute IPA and Midas Touch. Even though his beers have made it to taps in Florida, I enjoy it more when I'm here. :wub:

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

The 2008 version of Sierra Nevada Celebration, my very favorite beer. I don't know for sure if Sierra Nevada tweaks the recipe from year to year, as Anchor does with "Our Special Ale", but I think SN has dialed back the hops a bit in this year's version of Celebration. Fine by me, I like the balance of hops and malt, even in this year's bottlings, which , to me, taste a bit sweeter tyhan previous years of the beer.

Anyone else taste a difference?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I am enjoying this years Celebration ale, but unfortunitly I did not take notes on last years so I am not sure if they changed it or not.

Also for anyone in cincinatti area the comet is having a rotating tap beer tasting tonight and tomorrow (last night as well) that I will be hitting up for a couple of hours tonight. I heard they had the bourben barrel aged bells cream and expidition blend up last night that was suppose to be excellent.

I will be wearing a University of texas beenie if any of you happen to stop by please say hi.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes

• 3 weeks later...
The 2008 version of Sierra Nevada Celebration, my very favorite beer.  I don't know for sure if Sierra Nevada tweaks the recipe from year to year, as Anchor does with "Our Special Ale", but I think SN has dialed back the hops a bit in this year's version of Celebration.  Fine by me, I like the balance of hops and malt, even in this year's bottlings, which , to me, taste a bit sweeter tyhan previous years of the beer.

Anyone else taste a difference?

I'm sipping on the '08 right now. It does seem a bit less hoppy. I think I have a few '07's leftover. I'll have to do a side by side tasting.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I'm sipping on the '08 right now.  It does seem a bit less hoppy.  I think I have a few '07's leftover.  I'll have to do a side by side tasting.

Hoppy West Coast style beers are meant to be consumed within about six months of production, as the hoppy flavors will fade after that time. The '07 should still be drinkable, but the side-by-side tasting you are contemplating will not provide you with an apples to apples comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a few really good beers on tap lately. This year's Anchor Merry Christmas Ale is drinking very well very early. The Rogue Chocolate Stout is a reference point for this style, it's well balanced and perfectly chocolaty. And this holiday's Mc Chouffe is thick, spicy and warming.

In my area it's become very hard to find any sour beers or lambics. The local distributors don't carry them, and store owners say they can't find them anywhere.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 2 weeks later...

Just split a bottle of Dogfish Head Fort with some friends. Fort lives in some hitherto unknown border region between beer and raspberry wine, and I've never tasted anything more extreme. Imagine a a super-concentrated Framboise lambic with a hard 18% alcohol bite. It might work with a bittersweet chocolate desert, but, for me, pairing it with something savory would be a challenge.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson