• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

I used beer with two courses of a multi-course valentine's day dessert thing I did. One course was paired with Morte Subite raspberry lambic and another with Fruli strawberry beer. There were people present who aren't wine fans so I went with beers and cocktails as pairings instead (with the exception of a Canadian ice wine with a course involving milk chocolate and pear... they can't have everything their way). I've been a fan of lambics for a long time but this was my first time with the Fruli. It was well received and it's not bad as fruit beer goes but it's not really something I'd sit around and drink on a regular basis.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from lunch. Bratwurst and kransky on stoemp, accompanied by:

Franziskaner Hefe Weizen

Light, citrussy - hoegaardeny. My fiance wasn't a fan; he said the taste and smell reminded him of pinetarsol. I could kinda see where he got that, but I wasn't getting it.

Biere du Boucanier

A fine example of rich, dark Belgian-ness. Sweet, fruity, malty, heady.

Also had a sip or two of my fiance's Grimbergen Dubbel - smooth attack, followed by a marvellous nutty toastiness.

*edit to correct typos - that'll teach me to psot drnuk*

Edited by Amarantha (log)
There Will Be Bloody Marys

Sierra Nevada Schwarzbier., Chico, CA

A silky malt monster, yet not cloying or sticky on the palate.

Victory Baltic Thunder, Downingtown, PA

The resurrection (and preservation) of the original Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter from the now closed (R.I.P) Heavyweight Brewing Co. of NJ, this was a rich, plummy, chewy brew with cabernet sauvingnon complexity and dark coffee undertones.

Two lovely fireplace beers.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Strongbow. Does that count? I'm teased for having this particular favorite.

I love Strongbow! In fact I haven't had Strongbow for a good while so when I go home to Melbourne (Australia) this coming end of May, I will have one a day for each of my three weeks stay...

In the meantime, I have a small bottle of Budweiser with my spagbol tonight...

Cheers,

austramerica

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

I'm in Buenos Aires at the moment, the standard of domestic beer is very poor, including most micro brews alas. However, there is one fantastic brewery called 'Bersaglier' they make a really great kolsch that tastes like a pilsner with lees (nothing like a real kolsch thankfully, I've always been disappointed in Koln) and a very pretty scotch ale (their name) hard to find but worth hunting down.

Strongbow. Does that count? I'm teased for having this particular favorite.

I love Strongbow! In fact I haven't had Strongbow for a good while so when I go home to Melbourne (Australia) this coming end of May, I will have one a day for each of my three weeks stay...

In the meantime, I have a small bottle of Budweiser with my spagbol tonight...

Cheers,

austramerica

Is the Strongbow in Australia different than what we get in Canada? My wife tells me she liked the sweet cider she had in Australia ( I think it was Strongbow brand ) but the Strongbow that is available here is much less sweet and has a very different flavour.

Can anyone recommend a brand available in Canada that would be similar to the Australian Strongbow? Thanks

The resurrection (and preservation) of the original Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter from the now closed (R.I.P) Heavyweight Brewing Co. of NJ, this was a rich, plummy, chewy brew with cabernet sauvingnon complexity and dark coffee undertones.

I believe I read somewhere that the old Heavyweight brewer was opening a place a few doors down from McMenamin's? Is that correct?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I believe I read somewhere that the old Heavyweight brewer was opening a place a few doors down from McMenamin's? Is that correct?

Earth, Bread + Brewery

Earth, Bread + Brewery story links

• 3 weeks later...

Was a couple of days ago, but I didn't see a post on it yet....

Found the Sam Adams Longshot at a Bevmo. Didn't realize it was out yet, but I hadn't really been paying attention anyway.

Two Beers:

Weizenbock

Med strong carbed, very pleasant. Everything seemed to style. Had a nice chocolaty darkness, the fruity esters were present, but not overbearing.

Grape Pale

Had no idea what to think going into this one- For me, and my taste memory might be a bit off, it was pretty much a malty english style pale or esb even with a bit of grapey fruit flavor on the end. Seemed a little thick. Almost cloying. It was fine, however, I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened a bottle of Bear Republic Hops Rod Rye Ale really enjoyed it (to bad I cannot find it hear in Kentucky so this was my only bottle). It had a spicy fruit aroma that was followed by a very hoppy rye flavored beer. And at 8% abv the 750ml bolttle I drank left me feeling pretty good afterwards as well.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes

I had a Double Dog Pale Ale from Flying Dog and it was hands down the best double PA I've ever had to date. The malt and hops were perfectly balanced. I had an Avery Karma after that and it tasted like carbonated water. Tonight I'll try the Karma first to give it a fair shake.

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday an Abyss from Deschutes... bottle, 2008. stored @ 57 degrees since purchase in january. the beer has really come together nicely and the warmth mellowed significantly over the past few months. an amazing beer. i've got some of this year's Dark Lord on the way, so we'll have to compare. :biggrin:

When I was in San Diego last weekend, I got some Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, which maybe has replaced Victory Hop Devil as my all time over all favorite.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

yesterday an Abyss from Deschutes... bottle, 2008.  stored @ 57 degrees since purchase in january.  the beer has really come together nicely and the warmth mellowed significantly over the past few months.  an amazing beer.  i've got some of this year's Dark Lord on the way, so we'll have to compare.  :biggrin:

Ooh, I'm extremely envious. I had a Deschutes Black Butte tonight. Here in northern CA we've only found a few Deschutes brews; my favorite so far is Mirror Pond. I just love it, and I'm not really much of a beer drinker. We stumbled on Deschutes while driving through Fossil, OR in August. It was 100 degrees and I had my first Black Butte. Yummy. Clearly I'm due for another road trip.

Oh Suzie! Arrogant Bastard, even Double Bastard, while good beers, are no match for Hop Devil or even Hop Wallop!

And Katie, get your hands on Deschutes Twilight Ale, which should be out soon; I think it's the brewery's best beer, and that's saying something. Deschutes beers are all fantastic

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Oh Suzie!  Arrogant Bastard, even Double Bastard, while good beers, are no match for Hop Devil or even Hop Wallop!

Of course not as they are not of the same style. How could you compare an American Strong Ale to an IPA or a DIPA?

You would need to compare Stone's IPA or Ruination to make a heads up comparison. Of all four of those beers, I would probably reach for the Hop Devil. I like both breweries IPAs, but their DIPAs are not to my taste, though for different reasons.

I love both Stone;s IPA and Ruination, but Hop Devil is just a smoother quaff. I think Ruination drinks like a good Italian grappa, actually.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a summer beer run this week:

Victory Whirlwind Wit--always a favorite, it's my "lawnmower beer." There seems to be a lot more "bubble gum" flavor than in previous years. I don't know if it's a new yeast or just my palate.

Southern Tier Hop Sun--good stuff, just enough hops to remind you that they're there. Southern Tier is my new found fave. I really like their Phin & Matt's Ale.

Anderson Valley Summer Solstice--a lighter version of their Winter Solstice. It's a bit too sweet for me.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

For the summer I'd have to go with the classic ice cold Corona with a lime. I also dig Stella Artois, freezing cold. In the fall or the winter give me something really stout like a room temp. Guinness.

I'm not brewing my own... seems like a lotta people are (cheers)... so I mostly stick with the classics.

"I take a vitamin everyday- it's called steak."

I'm logging 10 days so far in St John USVI, and I have to say I've been very impressed with the native brews: Virgin Islands Pale Ale, and Island Summer Ale, brewed on-island in their own brewpub, The Tap House, in Cruz Bay (located in the Mongoose Junction complex on Rte 20), and contract brewed in bottles by Shipyard Breweing of Maine.

The Pale Ale is a nice hoppy number, with a good hoppy bite, cut ever so slightly with a hint of mango. Unusual and addictive. The Summer Ale is a wheat-pale ale blend, crisp and refreshing with a decent body and a nice nutty finish. Just found out that the beers are now also available in NJ where I reside! And some other states as well, including, soon southeastern PA! Two surprisingly good beers for the summer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 4 weeks later...

For my 51st birthday I opened a bottle of 1999 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine.

Nice strong hiss when I popped the bottle cap, steady slightly syrupy pour into the glass, with some sediment in the bottle. After about 30 min warming up, the beer still had a quarter -inch head, nice plum and baked peachy aromas. A little fizz still available for the tongue, and a nice dried fruit initial taste, with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Lit up a Ramon Allones Riserva torpedo from Cuba and the SNBF stood right up to that hefty cigar. A decnt pairing, not perhaps the best one, but the cigar lent a burnt crust note to my glass of roasted peach cobbler-like barleywine. A nice way to end the day: crickets chirping in the wood, a candle lit on the deck, a nicely aged barleywine and a good ceegar.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Madison, WI this past week. Had a few different beers from Capital Brewery, plus some Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing Company.

Now, I am in St. Louis and have been drinking some various types of beer from Schlafly. Having their Pale Ale right now, in fact.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I haven't drank any beer yet today, but all summer I've been enjoying Victory's Whirlwind and Abita's Purple Haze. Deeeelicious.

My local beer distributors are finally starting to smarten up. Last summer they would get one case of Whirlwind per delivery, and I was normally the guy who bought that one case. This summer they've had a nice stack that is replenished on a regular basis. Nice to see that more people are starting to notice.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson