• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

BrentKulman

Moderator note: The original What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)]

Today, a rare treat. Three Floyds Dark Lord. It's like a chocolate mocha milk shake, it's so thick.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Emerson's Taieri George. Dark, spicy ale perfect for a Melbourne winter's night. My comment at first taste was "christmas pudding-y". You can taste dried peel, and something like cloves, and the sweetness is raisiny, with burnt bits. I found a review that described it along the lines of "hot cross bun in a bottle", which is apt. Mouthfeel is also rich and fulfulling, but the drink overall is still quite refreshing, not as sweet and heavy as I think I'm making it sound. It's seasonal and apparently designed to be stored for up to five years, so I'll see if I can maybe get a dozen to stash away.

There Will Be Bloody Marys

"christmas pudding-y".

Yes, it's Christmas in July time! Thanks for the reminder. I've got quite a few holiday brews put away and will taste some when I get home from vacation.

In Rehoboth Beach, DE on the 4th I had a Twin Lakes Pale Ale from Greenville, DE. I didn't even know about Twin Lakes Brewing Co. until this trip. I liked its full flavor without too much heaviness and its taste of citrusy hops.

There is a new-to-me package store in Rehoboth which has one of the best beer selections I've seen in the local area, Cape Wine & Spirits. I'm looking forward to some Victory Hop Devil and Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale later tonight. These are two of my favorites which I haven't been able to buy in Florida. Yay!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Homebrewed saison after mowing the lawn. This was great when it was fresh. It's good now after six months in the bottle, but I need to finish it off soon.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout with dinner. Picked this up in Minnesota last month. First one I've poured, and it's fantastic. Rich, long finish, and the brewer's licorice revealing itself only in the initial sweetness and that neverending finish. Really nice stuff.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Tooheys Old.

Saturday night I'll be cracking my first bottle of the last brew I brewed. porter with chocolate malt.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

Choc Basement Brew Pale Ale, from Krebs, OK, given to me as a 50th birfday present, along with some other Crc beers and homebrewed mead, courtesy of OKC's Bob Rescinito!

A VERY niced beer! Good hop profile!, Nice malt balance. Great hoppy, viney aroma. I could quaff this one all day.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Five new beers (to me) went down the old neck.

On Saturday I cracked open a Sam Adams Summer Selection pack to take a sixer to a BBQ, where (from memory) I tried the Summer Wheat, Cherry Wheat and Boston Ale.

On Sunday I "reviewed" two beers. One was Otter Creek White Sail from Vermont, the other Muskoka Dark ale (an organic) from Ontario.

Muskoka was the best of the lot, though I really enjoyed the White Sail, but you won't like it if oranges aren't your thing; but I can't really recommend the Adams lot. I am going to try them again before making any damning verdicts though, as the situation wasn't ideal for reviewing anything.

I really love cherries, but apart from a Belgian fruit beer I tried years ago, none of the cherry beers I've had have really appealed to me.

So from a new beer point of view at least, it was a pretty busy weekend!

Secretary-General

The United Nations of Beer

www.theUNOB.com

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on a long pilsner trip latley. Today I had two of my favorite Germans. First a Flensberger from the Northern most part of Germany, then a Rothaus from the Black Forest. It is hard for me to say which is my favorite. Probably the Rothaus, but for sentimental reasons.

Hmmmm.

I feel like the redneck cousin from out in the sticks.

Right now, I am enjoying an ice cold 22 oz Icehouse.

Arrogant Bastard is my favorite though.

I hope you don't think any less of me. :raz:

Chicks dig wheelguns.

Yesterday I had a Fursty Ferret - always a good drop :) I love a nice british ale, and I'm rather fond of ferrets, so it was a perfect combination ;)

Last month I went to the Victorian Microbrewery Showcase, which is a thing they do a few times a year where you pay $20 for 20 tasting tickets. I've been a few times before; it's always good value :) This time I wrote down tasting notes for each beer, intending to post in this forum, but sadly I've lost the notes :( I shall try to do better next time.

There Will Be Bloody Marys

Kwak.

gallery_49006_3891_220104.jpg

The image below shows the shape of glass in which this beer is traditionally served...... a round- bottomed glass held in a 'stand'. I believe there are bars in Brussels that still serve this beer in the traditional way.

gallery_49006_3891_33139.jpg

edited to correct typos

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

Pint of Speakeasy's new "White Lightning" beer. I'd read it was a wheat beer and was really hoping for a fine new example of a German style wheat beer.

Being the dope I am, I didn't connect "White" with "Wit".

So, yeah, instead of being a German style wheat, it is a Belgian style white.

It's all right. There's a bit of Czech style hops there at the begining, which make it a bit interesting. On the whole, though, it was too sweet for me, and the orange and spice flavors got annoying before I finished the pint.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Got a growler of Victory Festbier for football Sunday. Loved it! Highly anticipating their new brew due Oct. 15. Lots of Bells and Founders beers on tap in the area from Michigan, they must have a new sales rep in the area. Good stuff.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I had a number of nice beers in Portland, Oregon, last weekend. The one that stood out was the BURGHEAD HEATHER ALE from Roots Brewing.

They claim it is based on a 3000 year old recipe for some sort of Scotch Ale.

Whatever! To me it was just a very good beer. Not overwhelmingly flowery or anything. Though, I am not entirely sure what heather tips taste or smell like.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I had a number of nice beers in Portland, Oregon, last weekend.  The one that stood out was the BURGHEAD HEATHER ALE from Roots Brewing.

They claim it is based on a 3000 year old recipe for some sort of Scotch Ale.

Whatever!  To me it was just a very good beer.  Not overwhelmingly flowery or anything.  Though, I am not entirely sure what heather tips taste or smell like.

Interesting, but probably a stretch to say it was based on a 3,000 year old recipe other than the fact heather tips (whatever they are) were used instead of hops. Brewing today is completely different than 500 years ago let alone 3,000.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Why I haven't posted on this thread more often is beyond me. Oh well better late than never. I've been on a Sly Fox O'Reilly Stoudt kick since my bar around the corner got it on tap the other week. I love that stuff.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Just opened a Half litre bottle of Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier.

For it is the season.

Not as much fun as sitting in the Paulaner beer tent in Munich, but heck. :smile:

Brewed especially for the event it is a brisk 6 percent by volume. It is superb, yeasty and clean tasting .

I amazingly found it on sale in my local Tesco supermarket in England.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I went to San Diego for a few days and was thrilled to find that one of the beers on tap at my hotel was Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale!

AND, recently here at home I've had some Victory Hop Devil, Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, and Old Dominium Millenium brought to me by Russ from one of his trips to Delaware. It PAYS to be on friendly terms with your exes. :biggrin:

AND, I've indulged in a few Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout floats of late.

Old favorites keep calling me back.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.