• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for tomato shortbread cookie

Bojana

I am making a deconstructed insalata caprese, and i need a buttery savoury tomato cookie on which to put tomato water cloud (11 madison park recipe, tomato juice foamed and set with gelatin). Anyone has a tested recipe to share? It should fall apart easily in the mouth, and emphasize the tomato flavour. I thought of shortbread dough with small pieces of sun dried tomato folded in the dough but other ideas are also welcome.

Thanks

Haha, I was thinking about this earlier. I was also thinking about a mozzarella cookie (or even a basil one) but thought maybe a tomato cookie with "mozzarella cloud" might be cool. Sounds like a fun experiment.

I like flavoured butter idea. Love the salt too, just find it a bit tricky to get right the first time, flavour wise and salt level wise, I have no time to do a test batch.

How do you flavur butter with sundried tomato? Chop finely and mix with softened/melted butter, then strain after some hours? Pressure cook together (like MC@H book suggests for crustacean butter)?

Would love to have a good and tested savoury shortbread cookie recipe, which I can use with my tomato butter...

Agree w/Lisa--freeze dried tomato powder seems like an ideal way to flavor the butter. Or puree sundried, oil-packed tomatoes together with softened butter and then strain out the bigger solid chunks. Another approach might be to roast fresh tomatoes in the oven, rather than using commercial sun dried tomatoes.

You might want to include a small amount of sugar and perhaps a touch of citric acid in the shortbreads to mimic the sweet-sharp taste of a fresh tomato.

Ina Garten has a lovely parmesan "cracker" in one of her cookbooks that is very similar to Dorie Greenspan's savory sable (I think hers has parmesan). Dorie's recipe is in her Baking book. I've tried Ina's, needed to add a little more water to it to get the dough to come together but they were great. I'm sure you could add some type of tomato liquid or the flavored butter to get the tomato sable. They have a wonderful crumbly sandy texture.

thanks again for all the ideas. i ended up dehydrating tomato, flavouring the butter and making it into a lovely shortbread cookies. i added the citric acid too, which was a very nice touch, thanks for that idea too. here is the pic of the final dish

insalata caprese.jpg

• Like 1