• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a term that encompasses both cupcakes and muffins

Fat Guy

My book club (cozy mysteries) met today and we had some baked goodies and were discussing the various foods mentioned in the mysteries of the "Golden Age of British Mysteries" - so I happened to mention this link and opened it on my iPad so the other members could see the question and responses and asked them what they thought...

All of us are "vintage" - the youngest admits to 66 and the eldest is 94, two are Brits, one is a Scot who moved here in the early '80s, two are Canadian and the other seven from all over the U.S. Retired teachers, a uni professor (English Lit), banker, ins. exec, aerospace engineer (3) and a home economist that spent 37 years at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute.

They thought it was an interesting concept - more interesting than the book we were supposed to discuss - "dull and predictable plot" - so we spent the balance of the meeting time, in fact went overtime by almost 45 minutes, discussing it.

The consensus of opinion was that for an American and an international audience, "teacakes" would fit because people in places as far apart as Australia or Scandinavia would know what a teacake was - same with people in Russia, Eastern Europe and around the Mediterranean. The term has caught on in America and teacakes appear on menus in various parts of the country.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett