• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can You Improve this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf?

Shel_B

The loaf has to be made on Thursday, and it will be served on Saturday. I'm concerned that it might dry out a bit, lose its freshness, if left for two days. Would wrapping it in plastic wrap help, or might the loaf get "soggy" or lose its texture when wrapped in plastic. Any other suggestions for storage? Thanks!

I've had pretty good results storing baked good for a couple of days, first wrapping them in a clean dish towel (the plain weave sort), then storing them in a new plastic bag with the air sucked out (vacuum might work even better).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I've had pretty good results storing baked good for a couple of days, first wrapping them in a clean dish towel (the plain weave sort), then storing them in a new plastic bag with the air sucked out (vacuum might work even better).

Thanks for the suggestion ... never would have thought of the towel.

... Shel

Baked cakes without glaze or icing freeze very nicely, usually with no loss of quality in flavour or texture. Wedding cake decorators do this all the time, even freezing cakes overnight only, as they cut with less crumbs if previously frozen.

Wrap tightly in a few layers of plastic wrap. Then place, wrapped, in a ziplock bag, pushing out as much air as possible, and making sure bag has a tight seal. Then freeze it. It should take about 3-4 hours for it to thaw at room temperature. The flavour and texture will be just as fresh as on the day you baked it.

I think I'll be making this one of these days for either a brunch or for dessert. Sounds very yummy, especially after reading all the recommendations for improvement.

Have you considered substituting minced rosemary for the poppy seeds? Not a straight 1-to-1 substitution, of course, but maybe only 1 Tbs.

However, you couldn't call it "poppy seed loaf" anymore...

It would probably work better in an olive oil cake than one with butter, but you never know until you try. If I make it I'll report back. I've become a big fan of rosemary in baked goods, probably because I have a huge rosemary plant in the garden. (I'm going to have to change my user name--I no longer live in Colorado, where rosemary does not grow outdoors.)

I'm not much of a baker--someone always sneaks into the kitchen and throws flour around and then runs away. At least that's what it looks like when I finally put something into the oven.

Nancy in CO (but now in Pátzcuaro, México)

Formerly "Nancy in CO"