• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks (2009–2011)

bostonapothecary

The 2010 George T. Stagg (diluted 2:1 with water...straight out of the bottle, it's 143 proof even)...one of the most beautiful things I've ever tasted.

Tobacco & leather one moment, lavender the next. Caramel and vanilla, of course. Entirely worth the 5-hour drive to Frankfort and scouring of a half-dozen liquor stores.

After tasting the 2010 (my first Stagg), I really needed to find a bottle of the 2009 (which received even more rave reviews). Today was the day...spotted for $90 on the shelf of a specialty liquor store. Amazingly, there were two in stock, but I couldn't bring myself to buy both. A quick search to confirm the proof (141.4), and we were off. Tasted in the same fashion as above, there's butterscotch up front, fading to roasted nuts & hickory. Noticeably sweeter than the 2010, but less aromatic. Just might be my favorite sipping whiskey ever. It is a good day.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

The 2010 George T. Stagg (diluted 2:1 with water...straight out of the bottle, it's 143 proof even)...one of the most beautiful things I've ever tasted.

Tobacco & leather one moment, lavender the next. Caramel and vanilla, of course. Entirely worth the 5-hour drive to Frankfort and scouring of a half-dozen liquor stores.

After tasting the 2010 (my first Stagg), I really needed to find a bottle of the 2009 (which received even more rave reviews). Today was the day...spotted for $90 on the shelf of a specialty liquor store. Amazingly, there were two in stock, but I couldn't bring myself to buy both. A quick search to confirm the proof (141.4), and we were off. Tasted in the same fashion as above, there's butterscotch up front, fading to roasted nuts & hickory. Noticeably sweeter than the 2010, but less aromatic. Just might be my favorite sipping whiskey ever. It is a good day.

Don't miss this in a JT-style 50/50 Manhattan. Divine.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Bad head cold today. Needed something hot with whiskey and lemon in it.

Started with 4 oz boiling water.

Added 2 oz Evan Williams Bourbon and 1/2 oz lemon juice.

Needed sugar. Added 2 tsp rich (demerara 2:1) simple.

Long thin lemon peel and a dash of Scrappy's Grapefruit Bitters (because what the hell?)

This is making me feel better.

Anyone else have any good "cold remedies"?

Dan

My very best cold remedy. Taken only before bed.

1 packet Lemon Thera-Flu.

8 oz. boiling water.

1 tea ball filled with your very favorite loose tea. I use Star of India which is a blend from my favorite local tea shop.

2 oz. hooch of your choosing. Smith & Cross rum worked like a charm for me last time I was laid up with a really fierce upper respiratory infection. Any high proof spirit of your choosing would be fine though. Bonded Applejack, whatever...

Honey or agave nectar to taste.

Optional: Citrus peels of your choosing, studded with cloves if you're feeling fussy...

Though I've never tried this, I suspect the inclusion of bitters would be excellent. Angostura or Fee Whiskey Barrel aged come to mind.

Dissolve the Thera-Flu in the boiling water in the biggest mug/soup cup/cereal bowl with handles you own. Steep the tea (and citrus peels if using) for appropriate time. Add booze, sweeten to taste. Drink it down and feel warmed. Wait for the drowsiness to set in. Fall asleep and get the rest your sickly body craves.

This works like a charm. Knocks you out. You sleep the sleep of a dead person. Demons are exorcised whilst you sleep. You wake up in a sweat soaked chalk outline of your former sleeping self. You feel much better.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Don't miss this in a JT-style 50/50 Manhattan. Divine.

Done and done...and I mean done. Divine is right.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Equal parts Scarlet Ibis, Zirbenz Stone Pine, and Cynar, with dash each of Angostura and (homemade) grapefruit bitters. Up, I think I used a lemon twist.

Made a version of this last night with EP Angostura (no grapefruit bitters at the bar), Zirbenz, Cynar, and Appleton 12. I've never had the Scarlet Ibis so I don't know if the Appleton is appropriate, but I combined the other ingredients first and, from what we had behind the bar, it seemed like the best choice. Fascinating drink; definitely in the Rogue/Beta camp. Orange twist? Missed the grapefruit bitters for sure. Had the entire front and back talking....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Equal parts Scarlet Ibis, Zirbenz Stone Pine, and Cynar, with dash each of Angostura and (homemade) grapefruit bitters. Up, I think I used a lemon twist.

Made a version of this last night with EP Angostura (no grapefruit bitters at the bar), Zirbenz, Cynar, and Appleton 12. I've never had the Scarlet Ibis so I don't know if the Appleton is appropriate, but I combined the other ingredients first and, from what we had behind the bar, it seemed like the best choice. Fascinating drink; definitely in the Rogue/Beta camp. Orange twist? Missed the grapefruit bitters for sure. Had the entire front and back talking....

I've subbed several different base spirits here enough to more or less conclude that the magic is in the zirbenz/cynar play. Ransom Old Tom is my other favorite but it makes the drink quite a bit more intense. If I were going to try to sub something from the Appleton line for Scarlet Ibis, I'd probably go with the V/X. or maybe half v/x and half...Mt Gay, maybe? Hard to say. The reason I didn't do an orange twist was merely to avoid adding extra richness to the drink, and I figured hey, lemon...artichoke...no brainer, right?

Not the kind of drink I make for everybody, but it gets well received by the right crowd. Glad you're in that crowd.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

For a low-alcohol fun drink:

Build

1 oz Cocchi Americano

1 oz Cynar

add ice, stir

top with seltzer

top that with 2 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters

The top half of the drink is just bitters and seltzer, but as you drink, it transitions to the bittersweet Cocchi/Cynar combo. That's about as much fun as I know how to have with that little alcohol.

OTOH, the Ransom / Zirbenz / Cynar trio sounds fantastic. And I have all the stuff. I don't know whether to be happy, proud, ashamed, or sad. EDIT: Just made a tiny one to try it. Very interesting. A great cocktail to linger over. Might even improve a bit as the ice melts.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Wow. Ransom Old Tom in that drink is... just...

[runs out of office to car]

Good, I hope?

1 oz Cocchi Americano

1 oz Cynar

add ice, stir

top with seltzer

top that with 2 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Very tasty -- thanks. Great idea.

Cynar: the new bartender's ketchup.

Maybe the Bartender's Sriracha...too intense for some, but if you like it you can't get enough.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

In the interest of finally getting into one of the bottles of maraschino I was able to get my hands on and thanks to the recommendation of Matt (mkayahara) I went with a Martinez last night. I'm wondering if the ratios from the recipe I used (not from Matt, just one I found on the web) need some tweaking or if I just have to get used to maraschino. The ratios were 4 parts gin, 2 parts vermouth, 1 part maraschino and a couple dashes bitters. It seemed almost overpoweringly funky... but maybe that's as supposed to be?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yep, 2 oz gin, 1 oz vermouth, -1/4 oz Maraschino, two dashes Angostura.

Ok, that's exactly what I used except I used 1/2 oz. maraschino (1 part to the gin's 2 oz. being 4 parts). I guess a little goes a long way with maraschino. I'll do the next one with 1/4 oz.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Chris. I hope my lack of knowledge regarding cocktails isn't too annoying for everybody.

I don't make a big deal of my birthday so tonight I stayed home and, in lieu of b'day cake, I had a 20th Century. I really enjoyed it.

By the way in case anybody was still caring, I think I've settled on calling this a 'Brave Ulysses'

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Since I went with the 20th Century last night, I thought it would be fun to stay on that theme and check out the riffs on it. So tonight was the 19th Century. I'm a huge fan of gin-based drinks but, at the risk of having people throw their olives and lemon twists at me, I think I may have enjoyed the 19th just slightly more than the 20th. I'll have to try the 20th again to be sure... :biggrin:

After making baklava, I had a little extra simple syrup that had been simmered with cinnamon, cloves, honey, and lemon zest. I used the fragrant syrup and Bulleit bourbon to make make a delicious, tart whiskey sour.

Next Thanksgiving, I’m making a double batch of the syrup, and serving fragrant whiskey sours for all.

After making baklava, I had a little extra simple syrup that had been simmered with cinnamon, cloves, honey, and lemon zest. I used the fragrant syrup and Bulleit bourbon to make make a delicious, tart whiskey sour.

Next Thanksgiving, I’m making a double batch of the syrup, and serving fragrant whiskey sours for all.

Ohhh, man Bruce. That sounds just about perfect for a cold, Fall, pre-holiday evening. Good job.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Since I did the 20th and 19th Centuries it seemed like a good idea to knock out the final riff on the drink (that I'm aware of) tonight with the 21st Century. I think it was my least favorite of the three but it went down a lot easier than I thought it would looking at the recipe. I definitely didn't hate it.

Continuing to explore before I attempt to create, tonight was a Satan's Whiskers. I kinda get the name, a bit strong and the hefty dose of bitters gives it an evil edge.