• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks (2009–2011)

bostonapothecary

My opinion of Scarlet Ibis improves as I play with it more. My first impression was that it was rather ordinary tasting and undistinguished. I'm gradually coming to the opinion that it may well be the ultimate cocktail (as opposed to punch like S&C) rum. I think the reason it comes acoss as unexciting on its own is because it sort of splits the difference between so many other rums...or maybe I'm just still wrapping my mind around it.

I've really enjoyed the drinks I've had with SI, but more recently I've been having similar thoughts about the Banks 5-Island Rum. Tried it?

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

My opinion of Scarlet Ibis improves as I play with it more. My first impression was that it was rather ordinary tasting and undistinguished. I'm gradually coming to the opinion that it may well be the ultimate cocktail (as opposed to punch like S&C) rum. I think the reason it comes acoss as unexciting on its own is because it sort of splits the difference between so many other rums...or maybe I'm just still wrapping my mind around it.

I've really enjoyed the drinks I've had with SI, but more recently I've been having similar thoughts about the Banks 5-Island Rum. Tried it?

No, sadly, tho I keep hearing it's excellent. Unfortunately my budget for personal consumption is tight at the moment so apart from staples and old stuff I'm mostly getting to play with the stuff at work now. For all I know Banks isn't even available in TX yet, but I haven't looked. It would be consistent with how the distribution normally works out though.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Andy -- Thanks for the awesome idea.

I tried Smith & Cross (before I read your reply to Chris) and Batavia Arrack. Both were interesting, but I'm inferring that maybe I should try a less distinctive rum. I have Barbancourt 8yr, so maybe that?

I also tried a bit of lime and liked it (1/2 oz). I think I might try lemon next, and maybe a bit less of it (1/2 to 3/8 oz?). I also tasted the Pine more than the Cynar, so I thought maybe playing with that ratio a bit (1 1/4 Cynar to 3/4 Pine maybe). It would mess with the beautiful 1:1:1 ratio, of course.

In a different direction, I wondered how rye would work.... And then I thought of Ransom Old Tom (which would probably be 3 bulls in a china shop).

This is a very fun drink to play with. I'm excited to hear what others think or have tried.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Maybe a half oz of Barbancourt and 1/4 oz of Smith & Cross could sort of sub in for the Scarlet Ibis. The drink may be just fine with other rums or even spirits, but if you're trying to recreate the profile of Scarlet Ibis it may be tricky.

Dan, I would imagine that the addition of citrus is what kills the Cynar flavors and brings out the pine. Maybe just a squeeze (bsp or so) would be better, help alleviate sweetness and brighten the flavors without adding excess acidity.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Maybe a half oz of Barbancourt and 1/4 oz of Smith & Cross could sort of sub in for the Scarlet Ibis. The drink may be just fine with other rums or even spirits, but if you're trying to recreate the profile of Scarlet Ibis it may be tricky.

Dan, I would imagine that the addition of citrus is what kills the Cynar flavors and brings out the pine. Maybe just a squeeze (bsp or so) would be better, help alleviate sweetness and brighten the flavors without adding excess acidity.

i just cracked a bottle of scarlet ibis for the first time. while i do find it delicious, i don't think it really fills a unique hole in available rum flavors. reminds me of ron de barrilito of puerto rico or some of the bottlings from the pierre ferrand-plantation project.

good stuff at a fair price. i definitely need to get myself a bottle of stone pine and try this drink!

anybody try the renegade rum bottlings? i just found them all on deep discount closeout and thought i should grab a few bottles of at least the 1990 guyana.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

i just cracked a bottle of scarlet ibis for the first time. while i do find it delicious, i don't think it really fills a unique hole in available rum flavors. reminds me of ron de barrilito of puerto rico or some of the bottlings from the pierre ferrand-plantation project.

My exact initial impression. Mixing it may change your mind.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I finally bought a bottle of Cocchi Americano. Having a Vesper right now, and suddenly it all makes sense... or maybe this is just a particularly aromatic strip of lemon peel.

No. It really is the Cocchi. Now try a Twentieth Century with it. Wow.

Made a Jacko's End from Mayahuel:

1 oz Laird's BIB apple brandy

1 oz Minero mezcal

½ ounce Benedictine

2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Didn't have the pear slice for garnish. Didn't need it. This one's in the rotation. Oh my golly.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Last assignment ever after seven years of university. Situation calls for some cognac, not that there is such a thing as a non-fine cognac. Sadly--well, not sadly--all I have is Laphroaig.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

i cracked some bottles of randall grahm's bonny doon liqueurs last night. his pacific rim framboise is pretty wild. randall commissioned the growing of an heirloom raspberry cultivar that wasn't grown commercially anymore. the aroma is gigantic and the acidity is fierce. as a liqueur goes, its sugar content which i bet borrows the port wine model is near completely self contrasted by its own acidity. this makes it a serious challenge to mix in any classic sour drink ratios, but i can't wait to use it instead of sloe gin which is somewhat self contrasted by its own acidity.

last night a patron requested this.

massaged mint

1.5 oz. bourbon

1.5 oz. randall's pacific rim framboise

soda

sort of lame but its exactly what he wanted.

if i rendered it for me it would look like:

massaged mint leaves

1 oz. barrel proof bourbon

1 oz. pacific rim framboise

.5 oz. simple syrup

.5 oz. lemon juice

soda

this would maintain a similar alcohol level and increase the tension of sweetness and acidity while slightly decreasing the dense overshadowing aromas of the framboise.

next up was randall's pommeaux homage. the gustatory structure of it was perfect but the aroma came across a little supermarket-y rather than enigmatic mysterious apple. but you get this overwhelming sensation of cinnamon contrasting the apple! i think he does this by getting some tannin out of the apples. sometimes we can't think of things as aromas (olfaction only) because they need to be flavors (multi sensory) for us to recognize them. cinnamon in this case was intensely defined by the fabulous tannins. sometimes this happens with grapefruit. its nothing without subtle pithy bitterness. peach brandy is bubblegum until you add acidity.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Continuing to play cocktail catch-up by exploring the classics. Tonight was the Corpse Reviver no. 2. I like it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Had an 'Inland Julep' at the Violet Hour tonight courtesy of Mr. Stephen Cole. It was a drink he'd enjoyed earlier this week from the hands of Alex Day in L.A. (at the Varnish? It's hazy...I can't recall).

It was Mezcal and Tequila (El Tesoro, I think) based, heavily laced with house-made allspice dram. One of the most interesting drinks I've had in some time. Absolutely overwhelming in the olfactory sense...as drops of the highly pungent dram were sprinkled throughout the mint bouquet.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Had an 'Inland Julep' ...

Proportions?

I'll second that request. Sounds delicious.

It's not something I'm ever likely to try and make at home, so I didn't ask. He also had the drink half made by the time I returned to the bar from hanging up my coat, so I didn't even see which Mezcal was used. I can say that the VH's allspice dram is currently trending extremely spicy. A few search hits seem to indicate it was previously on the menu at Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co in Philadelphia...but there's nothing close to a recipe.

DeVoto, The Hour

Had an 'Inland Julep' ...

Proportions?

...A few search hits seem to indicate it was previously on the menu at Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co in Philadelphia...but there's nothing close to a recipe.

Ok Chris. It sounds like it's up to the two of us to attempt to reverse-engineer this thing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan

Sigh. Ok, I'll try this: Were they añejo spirits?

The tequila was El Tesoro, and I'm relatively certain it was the Reposado. I didn't see the Mezcal go into the drink, but it was almost certainly a Del Maguey product, and if I had to bet I'd say it was the Vida (San Luis Del Rio).

Edited by KD1191 (log)

DeVoto, The Hour

I work at The Franklin and I'm fairly certain Alex wouldn't mind if I shared the specs. *fingers crossed*

1.5 Reposado Tequila (We used Siembra Azul but I bet El Tesoro is also delicious)

.5 oz Mescal ( We used Sombra but Vida sounds like an ideal substitution)

.25 oz Agave Syrup

Build in julep tin. Add crushed ice. "Swizzle" til frost forms on the tin. Add more crushed ice. 2 short straws. Garnish with mint. Garnish mint with All Spice dram (We used an atomizer) and expressed orange peel.

Hope that helps!

Colin

Just threw this together and it's pretty damn good. No name as such though;

50ml Darnley's View gin

12.5ml Bols Apricot Brandy

12.5ml Dubonnet

25ml Fresh lime juice

12.5ml Homemade raspberry syrup

Method: Add all ingredients to mixing glass fill with cubed ice and shake hard for ten seconds

Glass: Frozen cocktail

Garnish: Fat strip of orange zest

Ice: N/A

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings