• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

Moderator note: The original Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)]

IMG_0431.jpg

Frézier from Kindred Cocktail. Now I need another bottle of Pisco.

Edited by Mjx (log)

IMG_0438.jpg

Averna Jimjam - think I like the Ramazzotti Jimjam just a tiny bit better - the menthol kind of bugs me. Still a perfectly nice cocktail.

Averna Jimjam - think I like the Ramazzotti Jimjam just a tiny bit better - the menthol kind of bugs me. Still a perfectly nice cocktail.

Menthol from the Averna? I am asking because it's not something I have noticed before (but I have never used Averna as the primary ingredient).

That's what I've noticed both times I've tried it.

I will have to try Averna neat to see if I can detect this too. I am curious now. Or maybe it's the combination with the apricot liqueur that is creating this sensation?

Menthol from the Averna? I am asking because it's not something I have noticed before (but I have never used Averna as the primary ingredient).

Trying it neat and Kerry is absolutely right, there is some menthol there (together with caramel and licorice).

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0468.jpg

Sadly out of focus. There is new distillery on the Niagara Peninsula and I am making some pates de fruit using their product for the upcoming WInter Winefest. Tonight I figured I needed to try out an idea and see how it flew. 2 ounces of Dillon's unfiltered small batch gin, 1 ounce of rock sugar simple, 3/4 ounce lime, 2 big dashes of Dillon's Lime Bitters. Quite yummy. But I think I'll have to scale back the gin in the PDF - I only have a 375 ml bottle to play with!

• 2 weeks later...

Lindberg's Baby (thanks Chris). A tasty tipple.

So... what is it like with the right ingredients? :smile:

Edited to add: Never mind... you already answered in the Cocchi Americano thread.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

IMG_0487.jpg

Pegu club with Citadelle gin and my new bottle of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. This is the second Pegu club I've had - the first at the Velvet Tango room. Didn't like it either time - must be something wrong with my taste buds - cause everyone else on eG seems to love it. Ah well - vive la différence.

A Pegu Club made at the Pegu Club is a thing of beauty. But it's a drink that can be hard to get just right.

(on the right)

7769246440_87d975bc50_o.jpg

I guess to decide if I truly don't like it - I'll have to try it there for sure.

Not impressed with a lime wedge garnish like that. A Pegu shouldn't need any more acid and it doesn't exactly look beautiful.

Considering the source of the "a thing of beauty" description, I'm going to assume the lime wedge hurts it not at all.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not impressed with a lime wedge garnish like that. A Pegu shouldn't need any more acid and it doesn't exactly look beautiful.

Considering the source of the "a thing of beauty" description, I'm going to assume the lime wedge hurts it not at all.

The photo does not do it justice, but this was a nicely scored lime wedge, not just a random garnish.

I think the Pegu Club is a really difficult cocktail to balance. More than other cocktail, I think the specific sourness level of the limes used can result in a very different cocktail. With the exact same ratios I've had cocktail that I liked, and ones that just did not work.

The photo does not do it justice, but this was a nicely scored lime wedge, not just a random garnish.

I just think wedge garnishes are brash and with a cocktail that the balance is clearly so critical....

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd