• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2007–2009)

bostonapothecary

what would you call a preserve of unaromatized wine? this stuff doesn't really need herbs to enoble it but it needs grappa to last...

It would simply be a fortified wine, no? Sounds more related to Sherry than anything else. Very interesting experiments you have going there.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

exactly!  i think i used cruzan aged rum, which is still fairly light bodied (the rum selection in PA state stores is positively dismal - if it doesn't taste like suntan lotion they don't carry it here, save very few exceptions). 

Don't ya just want to smash all those smarmy white Malibu bottles? I think we have a few interesting choices for aged and dark rums (not enough though), but the selection (if you can call it that) of white rums is almost criminal. The more I read this forum the more frustrated I become with our state stores. :angry:

BTW, which stores do you usually patronize? I mainly shop at the Monroeville Mall store (even though there is one closer to my house). The Waterworks store is nice too, and the downtown store in Oxford Center isn't bad for its size. I'm constantly using the website search engine. I love going into a store and saying, "I'm looking for blah blah blah--I know you have some; I checked."

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Tried a Weeper's Joy from Imbibe last night. Yowzah! That's some serious juice there my friends. Very intense. "Angel's tears" indeed, though I'd hate to know what they were crying about.

I have to agree with you 100%. The moment I saw that recipe I knew I had to make that. It's probably a bit on the sweet side for some people, but what a flavor! I used Absente for the Absinthe, but I don't think that hurt it any (it was either that or Pernod but I figured I'd use the drier of the two). Amazing cocktail chemistry at work there.

My most recent sampling that hit the spot was the Shady Grove Cooler. I was looking for something to make with ginger beer other than the usual fallback of the Dark and Stormy, and while browsing through Grime's Straight Up or On The Rocks I came across one that called for gin with ginger beer, which I hadn't thought of. Remarkably, the flavor of the gin actually finds its way through the ginger beer (I use Jamaica's Finest). I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Here is the cocktaildb's version of the Shady Grove Cooler:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=2089

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

BTW, which stores do you usually patronize?  I mainly shop at the Monroeville Mall store (even though there is one closer to my house).  The Waterworks store is nice too, and the downtown store in Oxford Center isn't bad for its size.  I'm constantly using the website search engine.  I love going into a store and saying, "I'm looking for blah blah blah--I know you have some; I checked."

HA! yeah... i do that too. i also try to special order stuff that they have no idea what it is (BTW, we're sort-of off-topic here -- PA state stores). the rothman & winter creme de violette was in the website inventory (special order) for, like, 2 weeks. when i went in to see if i could order it... POOF... gone. i also tried to order rittenhouse rye 100, but it only came in the case. i couldn't convince my wife that 12 bottles of rye was a good idea. PA has absinthe now... but internet order only. i'm always so dissappointed with the rum selection.

i go to the east liberty store (near the whole foods) a lot, oxford center (downtown pittsburgh) and squirrel hill. oxford center has the last 40 bottles of wild turkey rye 101 in the state, so i've been picking those off one by one.

back on topic: been doing a variation on an Aviation -- no creme de violette in PA, so instead i add a teaspoon of green chartruese (not at all the same thing, i know) and a few dashes of grapefruit-lavendar bitters from the recipe in the bitters thread -- spicy, sour delicious!

today i tried to improve my mixo monday drink... by adding lemoncello...

1.5 oz. vanilla vodka (888 nantucket)

.5 oz. lemoncello (homemade)

.5 oz. myrtle berry liqueur (homemade 10 years ago...)

1 oz. fresh espresso (lavazza)

barspoon of simple syrup; either over your shoulder into the eye of the devil or in the drink...

lots of ice and shake shake shake...

this is an interesting drink... it can be quite light and go from aperativy to desserty...

the brands you use will really dictate the style... i inherited the liqueurs so i don't really know how much sugar is in them and how they compare to a classic espresso martini with coffee liqueur...

at first sip with my arbitrary ingredients, the drink was really dry and elegantly piney from the mirto... you'd think the drink was made with tangueray... the lemonyness felt sort of artificial like lemon verbena and the espresso created sophisticated bitter... i then added the simple syrup and got the desserty effect... it made it by no means cloying but different flavors came into focus... the pinyness died down, the vanilla became more pronounced, and the lemon became more real... i usually hate sugar and love high acid drinks but i think the dessert style was much more fun... when i see recipes that seem sweet on paper but add a spoonful of simple syrup the author might definitely know something i don't...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

last night i asked for a tart arrack cocktail and received...

1.5 oz. batavia arrack

1.5 oz. anchor genavieve

1 oz. lemon juice

.5 oz. simple syrup (1:1)

this was really delicious... before i had the first sip i was kind of intimidated by the proportions that the bartender gave me... it definitely was not too tart... the gin gives some kind of extra real or perceived sweetness... and the two spirits butt heads really well... mellow botanicals contrasted with a certain maltiness and uplifted with a fusel alcohol quality from the arrack...

reading more about fortified wines i've read that a big decision is made on whether to go with a clean tasting fortifier or something with a "fusel" character from traces of higher alcohols... certain rums and grappas have this character. i personally love it... italian wines are noted for developing traces of these higher alcohols during fermentation. apparently the literature claims it isn't very marketable to americans and noone outside of red port uses it. what a shame because whispers of it can really make a drink... i wonder if there was a big difference between fortified wine products of today and yesteryear based on changes not in botanical formulas but seemingly simpler decisions like cleaner fortifying spirits...

i need to make some "higher alcohol bitters" to add an old school edge to a drink... i need to get some rocket fuel...

bostonapothecary.com

Hey dudes--

Lurker type, relatively new to the fold, thought I'd try and join the party. I recently got my first bottle of Laird's Apple Bond and dang if it's not delicious. I've been putting it in whatever struck my fancy and tonight made a Champs Elysee variation I think might be appropriately called the

Short Hills Mall

1.5 Laird's apple bond

.75 green chartreuse

.75 lemon juice

dash Fee's orange bitters (figured orange worked in the Bijou, so why not?)

Turned out pretty tasty, to my mind. Fruity, yet spicy. Clashy? I dunno.

For my boyfriend (who is a Sazerac lover) I made an Apzerac, which is exactly what you'd expect except that I did the wash with the chartreuse instead of absinthe since I had it out.

Anyway, cheers.

Audrey

barspoon of simple syrup; either over your shoulder into the eye of the devil or in the drink...

Limoncello and vanilla make a great flavor base, or even alone. I've started seeing this combination semi-frequently when dining out in the past 6 months.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Limoncello and vanilla make a great flavor base, or even alone. I've started seeing this combination semi-frequently when dining out in the past 6 months.

when making it i was remembering a girl i went out with a couple times years ago... she drank a vanilla vodka lemondrop... most bartenders thought it was weird... but she was a smart girl. i was always hoping she would accidently walk into my bar and i'd get to make one for her...

"Of all the flavored vodka joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine..."

bostonapothecary.com

i was always hoping she would accidently walk into my bar and i'd get to make one for her...

"Of all the flavored vodka joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine..."

You sir, are a poet :cool:

If that didn't make Koch and the brothers Epstein roll in their graves, certainly Bogart's corpse is groaning. :blink:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

This past weekend I made something called a K.C.B. from the Savoy. I don't know why I never really noticed it until now. (Note: The Savoy, Duffy, and most online drink databases have it as the K.C.B., while Webtender lists it as the KGB). I don't know if the name refers to the Knights Commander of the Order of the Bath, or what. Anyway, it's:

1 3/4 oz gin

1/2 oz kirsch

1/4 oz apricot flavored brandy

1/4 oz fresh lemon juice

Shake and strain.

That's the cocktaildb recipe. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the Savoy's but it's close.

http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=1271

Other sources:

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drinkj14i210.html

http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/519

This is a wonderful and well-balanced cocktail. It doesn't seem to show up in other books besides the Savoy and Duffy's book. I would have to say that if there is ever to be a second volume of Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails (hint, hint), this should be a top candidate for inclusion. What is remarkable about this drink is that is works much like the Twentieth Century Cocktail. Not that it tastes like it, but in this drink the very small amount (that's important) of apricot plays the same role as the creme de cacao in the Twentieth Century. I would suggest going easy on the kirsch as well. And even though the main ingredient is gin, it doesn't dominate. This is a drink that you could serve to gin-haters and they would probably love it.

Now that I think of it, I should have taken a picture of it to add to the Savoy thread. Sorry, eje. Actually, if you've never had this, it will be one you can look forward to. I'll leave you the fun of trying it and writing it up.

Mike

[...]

That's the cocktaildb recipe.  I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the Savoy's but it's close.

[...]

Now that I think of it, I should have taken a picture of it to add to the Savoy thread.  Sorry, eje.  Actually, if you've never had this, it will be one you can look forward to.  I'll leave you the fun of trying it and writing it up.

It's a bit generous on the Lemon, Apricot Brandy, and Gin, but other than that, fairly close.

K.C.B. Cocktail

1 Dash Apricot Brandy. (1/3 tsp)

1 Dash Lemon Juice. (1/3 tsp)

1/4 Kirsch. (1/2 oz)

3/4 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Sadly, yes, I am still only on "Gre...", so it will be a while before I get to the K.C.B.

Something to look forward to, anyway! Or perhaps a choice for the next Savoy night at Alembic.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

It's a bit generous on the Lemon, Apricot Brandy, and Gin, but other than that, fairly close.
K.C.B. Cocktail

1 Dash Apricot Brandy. (1/3 tsp)

1 Dash Lemon Juice. (1/3 tsp)

1/4 Kirsch. (1/2 oz)

3/4 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Dang, I knew I should have posted the other one. The Cocktaildb lists two, the other of which is obviously the Savoy's version:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=4370

K.C.B.

Shake with ice and strain

1 dash apricot brandy

1 dash lemon juice

1/4 kirsch (3/4 oz, 2 cl, 3/16 gills)

3/4 dry gin (2 1/4 oz, 6.5 cl, 9/16 gills)

Shake and strain into cocktail glass

Serve in a cocktail glass (4.5 oz)

You're quite right. That one in my other post would never have the right subtlety with those proportions. This is the one to go with for anyone thinking of trying it.

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

i'm trying to finish some bottles of rum that i let get down to about 2 oz. or so...

2 oz. ron barrelito three star

2 oz. stock sweet vermouth

2 dashes hermes orange bitters

this to me was perfection (for my current mood anyhow...)

not too sweet even though it is a not a 2:1 drink... barrelito three star is in my top five rums. i think its most comparable to things commonly found like mount gay but then far complexer... the drink develops these coffee notes that you could also get from mount gay but here they take on more sophisticated and beatufiul shades...

bostonapothecary.com

There are only 3 bartenders where I work, and the one who has been there longest after me had his last night tonight, as he's graduating next month and moving to San Francisco. I went up there briefly to spell him for an hour while he and the dishwasher, who is also leaving and moving back to Guatemala, had dinner and wine on the restaraunt. I did manage to also sneak in one of my remaining bottles of Thomas Handy, and I had a glass of it with him. Good use for the stuff, I say.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Made a martini tonight with:

2oz Blue Coat American Dry Gin

3/8 oz. Noilly Prat vermouth

2 drops Regan's Orange Bitters

Lemon twist

Stirred with 1/2-inch ice cubes.

Damn that was good. This might be my preferred combination for a while.

This is my first taste of Noilly Prat. I've never seen it for sale before in PA. I did a side-by-side comparison with M&R (not blind), and definitely prefer the NP. It seems less astringent than the M&R. It's amazing how well it marries with the gin.

Mike

its good to finish things in life so i'm still working on some rum bottles...

50/50

1992 plantation venezuela

stock sweet vermouth

2 dashes hermes orange bitters

i didn't like this when it was too cold... but then it woke up. it also might be better with less vermouth in a 2:1... this rum gives really unique kola nut like flavors but with a certain elegance. other southern carribean rums can be over the top in their dark flavor but this one is worthy of contrasting vermouth... in drinks like this i'm scared of using angostura bitters which i save to revive the lesser spirits.

two more oz. of this rum to go then i'll never find it again... i need some fresh egg whites...

bostonapothecary.com

The other day, we picked up a bottle of Aalborg Jubilaeums Aquavit (flavored with coriander and dill), and tonight I made the following:

3 oz Aquavit

1 oz St. Germain

1/2 oz lemon juice

It was a good balance of sweet and sour, and the herbal flavors still came through nicely.

The other day, we picked up a bottle of Aalborg Jubilaeums Aquavit (flavored with coriander and dill), and tonight I made the following:

3 oz Aquavit

1 oz St. Germain

1/2 oz lemon juice

It was a good balance of sweet and sour, and the herbal flavors still came through nicely.

that sounds pretty cool... where did you buy the aquavit in cambridge? i think i should pick up a bottle...

bostonapothecary.com

3 oz Aquavit

1 oz St. Germain

1/2 oz lemon juice

that sounds pretty cool... where did you buy the aquavit in cambridge? i think i should pick up a bottle...

We got it at Gordon's out in Waltham, but I think I've seen it at Martignetti's (Allston location) too.

I was purging the freezer tonight and realized I had a half can of Minute Maid frozen limeade. I made a lazy girl's frozen daiquiri out of it with Appleton Estate V/X, frozen limeade, Cointreau, a little agave nectar, a splash of fresh lime juice and some ice. It's quite refreshing and almost like a tiny vacation in a glass.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Doing some random browsing on Drinkboy the other day and came across a guy talking about a Jasmine variation he'd been playing with, the Bitter Elder:

1.5 gin (I used Plymouth)

.75 St Germain

.5 Campari

.5 lemon

shake/strain/up

Tried this out at work today, boy that is a damn tasty drink. I enjoy Jasmines but I always felt they were lacking something, and easy to make too sweet. This I felt was a more complete tasting drink and while I probably wouldn't want more than one at a time it is definitely more to my liking. Four of my colleagues agreed, having one later in the evening.

Here is the original post, many kudos to the creator of this drink.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

2/3 cinzano reserva dry vermouth

1/3 seagrams reserve cask aged gin

lemon twist

pre lemon twist it wasn't a drink to seek out... i started the drink 1:1... the weight of the piney character against the vermouth was much better in the final ratio... this vermouth has some kind of madeirized character. its oddness might be in its personal age rather than its chardonnay varietals and vinification... there is some kind of strange character that i've tasted before in bad chilean chardonnay's. I don't know if its a bad balance of lactic character. I bet these wines underwent malo-lactic fermentation before they were embellished with herbs (the botanicals are super hard to detect)...

it might take some ingenuity to enjoy the rest of the bottle of vermouth...

bostonapothecary.com