• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2007–2009)

bostonapothecary

More slurping than drinking:

An XL highball glass containing a scoop of Haagan Dazs Lemon Ice sorbet with a healthy glug of Campari and a shake of Fees orange bitters. Serve with a spoon.

Wonder if you could mix Campari into the ice, refreeze, and swirl in with some of the original...

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

An unnamed Negroni variation at Cure in New Orleans, by Maks Pazuniak:

Equal parts:

Rittenhouse Bonded,

Punt e Mes,

Campari

with an orange twist.

Fantastic.  Just had that "something" when everything combined...

That would be a Boulevardier, provided one agrees that PeM can be subbed in for sweet vermouth without it becoming a new drink.

Equal parts:

Rittenhouse Bonded,

Punt e Mes,

Campari

with an orange twist.

That would be a Boulevardier, provided one agrees that PeM can be subbed in for sweet vermouth without it becoming a new drink.

Maybe so, but I think that the Punt e Mes deserves at least special mention, if not a new name. It was fantastic.

Wanting to find at least one use of the Marie Brizard vanilla liqueur I foolishly bought for myself, I just invented myself an unlikely but pretty tasty drink. I'm quite surprised it turned out this well. Kind of a light and citrusy brandy flip.

45mL Brandy

15mL Marie Brizard Vanilla Madagascar liqueur

15mL Lemon juice

5mL Benedictine

1 Whole egg

1/2tsp brown sugar

Small dash of bitters

Soda water

Mime shake and shake all but the soda, strain into a fizz glass, top with ~40mL Soda Water and fresh grated nutmeg.

The vanilla liqueur is quite subtle when mixed. The nutmeg makes the experience much livelier. I'm not sure what to call this drink - as it's basically a Brandy Royal Fizz with vanilla, I was thinking Royal Madagascar. Any other ideas for drinks with vanilla liqueur?

I think that a margarita with vanilla taking the place of the O. Curacao is wonderful. I have never had the MB vanilla, but Licor 43 is one of my favorite's and has been for a long, long time.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Equal parts:

Rittenhouse Bonded,

Punt e Mes,

Campari

with an orange twist.

Maybe so, but I think that the Punt e Mes deserves at least special mention, if not a new name. It was fantastic.

The Boulevardier is great, I prefer it with a spicy bourbon, but there's certainly nothing wrong with good rye in its place.

I've been having the same Punt e Mes vs. Sweet Vermouth debate with several folks lately. My personal feeling is that Punt e Mes can be used in any cocktail where Sweet Vermouth is called for, and that should not in and of itself change the name of the cocktail. However, I think that if the ingredient is listed as "Sweet Vermouth" on the cocktail menu, Punt e Mes should not be used unless specified or agreed to by the customer.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

this weekend saw various pina coladas with aged guyana rum, cachaca, etc. but today i really wanted some batavia arrack

1 oz. coco lopez

1 oz. lime juice

.5 oz. kirshwasser

1.5 oz. batavia arrack van oosten

2 dashes peychauds

stir with cubed ice then strain over shaved ice.

awesome contrasts. refreshing structure. just enough dissonance to keep me happy.

last night on the front steps this was highly regarded:

1 oz. overholt rye

1 oz. hiram walker kirshwasser

1 oz. taylor's falernum

1 oz. lemon juice

dash peychaud's

the angular clove-y christmas-y character of the rye becomes very tropical. kirshwasser adds awesome round fruit contrast and i prefer using it to dousing a drink in non citrus fruit juices.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

this weekend saw various pina coladas with aged guyana rum, cachaca, etc. but today i really wanted some batavia arrack

1 oz. coco lopez

1 oz. lime juice

.5 oz. kirshwasser

1.5 oz. batavia arrack van oosten

2 dashes peychauds

stir with cubed ice then strain over shaved ice.

That sounds highly intriguing, but a bit lacking in piña, don't you think? I could actually see something very interesting coming out of the Arrack/pineapple combo.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

We have limited supplies, and I drink far less than I used to. Mainly in the summer we drink gin--either G & T 's or martinis. Last night my husband made a Leap Year. I'd forgotten what a nice drink it is, and what a lovely color.

2 oz gin

1/2 oz grand marnier

1/2 oz sweet vermouth

1/4 oz lemon juice

twist of lemon

I have a nice Thai Basil plant growing outside, and figured it may make an interesting addition to a drink. I chose to use it instead of mint and pernod for a French Pearl. Unfortunately, it didn't do too much. The flavors were pretty small, so I used a couple dashes of peychaud's to liven it up a bit. Better luck next time. Does anyone have any good recipes for thai basil?

Wanted something quick last night, and had just finished a new batch of grenadine. Decided on a Roffignac highball with two parts Wild Turkey 101 Rye to one part fresh grenadine (in place of the traditional raspberry syrup), topped off with soda. Very refreshing on a warm evening.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

1 oz. coco lopez

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. kirshwasser (hiram walker)

2 oz. st. james ambre

3 dashes peychauds

stirred then strained over shaved ice

kind of awesome. i no longer crave air conditioning for the next fifteen minutes at least...

st. james has awesome rare flavors not seen outside the distilled world... epic contrast to silly ingredients like coco lopez.

i'm still really into the technique of using kirshwasser over maraschino liqueur. if you go the liqueur route you have a hard time contrasting the cherry flavor with anything else with a built in sugar content. so there is no way to achieve a reasonable structure with any fun intensity. go the eau-de-vie route and you've got a ton of possibilities. you can then even mix with spirits that are beautiful but almost too intense like batavia arrack, cesar pisco, or del maguay mezcal.

a while ago i made some redistilled cointreau to use as my orange component in home made gin experiments. it is more or less completely brut cointreau or orange peel eau de vie. i could possibly use it to try some of the contrasts of too sweet classic recipes under a different sugar ethic...

bostonapothecary.com

Got a bottle of Inner Circle green, which is blowing me away; I've been nursing 1 oz shots for hours while doing routine cooking and cleaning. So, after a misbegotten attempt at a New Pal, I went old school with a Rum Old Fashioned using Adam's Boker's bitters (about five dashes for ~3 oz rum). 115 proof rum on rocks can take this heat and humidity, too.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks to the "heat wave" (quotes due to spending the last seven years in North Carolina), I have been going Tropical -- which, in my case, has meant chunks of pineapple as garnish. So far this has proved a highly effective strategy:

This was interesting, while maintaining the tropical vibe:

3/4 Wray & Nephews Overproof

3/4 Apricot Eau de Vie

3/4 Amaro Cora

3/4 Lime Juice

Dash of Grenadine

Pineapple Chunk

Second drink was more conventional, but delicious:

2 Coruba Rum

3/4 Grand Marnier

1/2 Ginger Liqueur

Pineapple Chunk

Float of 120 proof Cognac

Last night's drink was the best of all, but I made it freehand, cooking-style, so I can't give an exact recipe. It has an embarassingly-long list of ingredients too. But the overall effect was amazing -- kind of a punch in a cup. If we had kings, this is the kind of drink I would make for a coronation. I will simply list the ingredients, in approximately the order of how much went in the mixing glass:

Bourbon

Lime Juice

Tangerine Juice

Dry Vermouth

Sweet Vermouth

Grand Marnier

Benedictine

Chartreuse

Angostura Bitters

Orange Bitters

Not in the mixing glass:

Chunk of Pineapple

Luxardo Cherry

Splash of soda

Float of 120 proof Cognac

(Note: we decided that next time we would torch/roast/grill the pineapple)

Long Live the king!

Edited by David Santucci (log)

Got a bottle of Inner Circle green, which is blowing me away; I've been nursing 1 oz shots for hours while doing routine cooking and cleaning. So, after a misbegotten attempt at a New Pal, I went old school with a Rum Old Fashioned using Adam's Boker's bitters (about five dashes for ~3 oz rum). 115 proof rum on rocks can take this heat and humidity, too.

Wherever did you come across such a thing? I've made some pretty pleasurable 115 proof rum by mixing equal parts Goslings Black Seal with their 151. Fabulous for punches but I have no idea if it comes close to a more conventionally produced product.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Equal parts:

Rittenhouse Bonded,

Punt e Mes,

Campari

with an orange twist.

The Boulevardier is great, I prefer it with a spicy bourbon, but there's certainly nothing wrong with good rye in its place.

Is there an intrinsic difference between the Boulevardier and an Old Pal?

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I had a few limes that were getting old so I made a margarita, and afterward wondered what it'd be like to swap out the tequila with gin. And since I like angostura with gin I threw that in too.

2 oz gin

1.25 oz Cointreau

.75 oz lime

Angostura

I gave that one to my wife. I've been finding that while I don't like anise flavored stuff that much, when added in small quantities it can add a bit of complexity without setting off a "yuck." So I made another and added a splash of Pernod, maybe 1/8 oz or so for the hell of it. It wasn't bad.

I'm sure none of this is new, but it was fun to play around.

super hot here. rather than look for AC i made a drink...

1.5 oz. bershire's "ragged mountain rum"

.75 oz. lime juice

.5 oz. pineau des charentes (brillet)

.25 oz. falernum (taylor)

2 dash peychaud's

float of over proof goslings

stirred with ice and strained over shaved ice

big fan of the bershire distilleries rum. some might say the pineau des charentes gets lost but it really just seems to reflect strange light on the fruit of the lime. like observing it at sunset... the structure of the drink is quite tart because the brillet sugar ethic is probably about the same as a sweet vermouth. the taylor falernum even at .25 oz. might push the average of the two to cointreau range.

i wish i could try the same formula but subbing tequila for the rum and licor 43 for the falernum.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

bostonapothecary.com

More slurping than drinking:

An XL highball glass containing a scoop of Haagan Dazs Lemon Ice sorbet with a healthy glug of Campari and a shake of Fees orange bitters.  Serve with a spoon.

Wonder if you could mix Campari into the ice, refreeze, and swirl in with some of the original...

Yes you can! Happy dance... :wub:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.