• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2007–2009)

bostonapothecary

Not sure which Chris you mean, but I presume not me. My Big Ben was devised by plattetude and has rye, genever, Benedictine, and orange bitters. YMMV.

Meanwhile, I had only lemons (that is to say, not limes) on hand, was eager to partake of a batch of Erik's excellent Swedish punsch, and the wife wanted a drink (which means a sour). I found the Waldorf (Savoy version: 2 punsch, 1 gin, 1 lemon/lime), and started tinkering.

First, I wanted to use some of the rhum arigricole I had procured on sale in place of gin. Second, I had some cinnamon tincture and pimento dram that I wanted to dash in, if possible. Made it, and it's damned good.

Tweeted around for some a good, freaky Swedish/Jamaican hybrid name. Considered the White Rasta and the Kingston Hostel cocktail. Finally, saved by Dave the Cook, who is, clearly, a genius:

The Ja, Mon Cocktail

2 oz Swedish punsch (Underhill Punsch Tales version).

1 oz rhum agricole (Niesson)

1 oz lemon

2 dashes pimento dram (homemade)

dash cinnamon tincture

What is the sound of one white Rastafarian clapping?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I wanted something that was orangey, very bitter, and that packs a punch. I didn't have any oranges around the house to make a fat twist, so I subbed a cognac based orange liqueur for the sugar in a Toronto (I used a half teaspoon of Mathilde's Cognac based orange liqueur--I would have used GrandMa if I had it). It's what I wanted: punchy, orangey, and suavely bitter thanks to a little smoothing out from the liqueur.

nunc est bibendum...

To deal with the Pacific Northwest's current heatwave:  Peach Basil Sangria, adapted from an old Gourmet recipe.  Basil and lemon zest infused peach nectar, lemon juice, white wine.  Peach chunks and basil leaves for some pretty, ice for some cold.  Delicious.

Oooh! Looks great. One to try when I get back to the summer side of the world next week. Are you getting local peaches yet? Is there a recipe for the infused nectar or should I just wing it? Any particular favorites for the wine?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Ante from Robert Hess' Essential Bartender's Guide (As I'm at home, am I demonstrating that Bartenders are not essential?  Not in the slightest).

1 3/4 oz calvados or apple brandy (I used Lairds 12 yr apple brandy @ ~84 proof)

3/4 oz Dubonnet (3/4 oz Cinzano red vermouth)

1/2 oz Cointreau

1 dash Angostrura bitters (several dashes Regan's orange bitters)

Tasty, with quite an alcohol burn.  I'd maybe try Gran Gala next time instead of the Cointreau.

Thanks Robert!

Tried the Gran Gala and I think it was an improvement. Might add a dash of Cointreau for the zip, though. I suppose I should try with Dubonnet, too.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

To deal with the Pacific Northwest's current heatwave:  Peach Basil Sangria, adapted from an old Gourmet recipe.  Basil and lemon zest infused peach nectar, lemon juice, white wine.  Peach chunks and basil leaves for some pretty, ice for some cold.  Delicious.

Oooh! Looks great. One to try when I get back to the summer side of the world next week. Are you getting local peaches yet? Is there a recipe for the infused nectar or should I just wing it? Any particular favorites for the wine?

Peaches are up in the Pacific Northwest -- I think mine were from Washington, in fact. I posted my take on the recipe on my nascent blog, but it's pretty easy to freestyle: 2 cans peach nectar, 1 cup basil, zest of 1 lemon. Heat to a boil, let cool and strain, mix with a bottle of white wine and the juice of that lemon. Throw in a chunked-up peach, and some basil sprigs. The original recipe called for dissolving sugar in the infusion, but I really don't think it needs it at all.

As for wine, the peach flavor and aroma totally overpower it, so go with something dry and cheap.

I'm working on a literal (as much as is possible) recreation of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for an article in a local publication. Not as easy as it would seem, but having a blast screwing around with the possibilities. It's almost done. When I have the proportions of the ingredients perfected, I'll report back. Meanwhile, I'll just fall into a crumpled heap on my bed. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Made myself a Queen's Park Swizzle at the end of my shift tonight. Since I'd accidentally set off the dishwasher with the lid off and gotten completely showered in hot water (:angry:) , it was particularly refreshing.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm working on a literal (as much as is possible) recreation of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for an article in a local publication.  Not as easy as it would seem, but having a blast screwing around with the possibilities.  It's almost done.  When I have the proportions of the ingredients perfected, I'll report back.  Meanwhile, I'll just fall into a crumpled heap on my bed.  :raz:

How fun! Netflix has the old series on streaming video - I can't wait for the perfect accompaniment!

I got roped into watching the "Sex and the City" movie last night, and my friend wanted to drink Cosmos while watching. I eventually persuaded her to let me make something "like a cosmo" with the ingredients I did have....

2 parts gin

0.75 part Cointreau

0.5 part lime juice

0.5 part pomegranate juice

It was yummy....

(That sangria looks amazing by the way. Now I'm stuck on call at the hospital and thirsty!)

Edited by mssurgeon81 (log)

Sarah Fernandez aka "mssurgeon81"

Philadelphia, PA

Who would have thought that one might make a quality cocktail using both St-Germain elderflower liqueur along with Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur. But in the February 28th Wall Street Journal, Eric Felton did a piece on the Cooper brothers and created a cocktail in their honor, the "Cooper Brothers Cocktail." I finally got around to trying it and am quite enjoying myself.

1 1/2 oz. bourbon (Buffalo Springs)

1/2 oz. St. Germain

1/4 oz. Domain de Canton

stir, strain, served in a cocktail glass

twist an orange peal over the top

serve with a twist

Who would have thought that one might make a quality cocktail using both St-Germain elderflower liqueur along with Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur. But in the February 28th Wall Street Journal, Eric Felton did a piece on the Cooper brothers and created a cocktail in their honor, the "Cooper Brothers Cocktail." I finally got around to trying it and am quite enjoying myself.

1 1/2 oz. bourbon (Buffalo Springs)

1/2 oz. St. Germain

1/4 oz. Domain de Canton

stir, strain, served in a cocktail glass

twist an orange peal over the top

serve with a twist

I haven't figured out how to edit yet, so I'll just post again to indicate that I, of course, meant to state that I was using Buffalo Trace.

If I recall, the Monteleone Competition was won by a drink combining those two items as well. I have to admit that was my first (or maybe second) reaction to tasting the Domaine de Canton: "This needs flowers"

I infused some ginger into Paul Masson VSOP a while back and it is awesome on the rocks with St. Germaine, and also made into a tall drink with the ginger brandy, St. Germaine, lemon, and soda. Such a neat contrast of flavors.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

The Boulevardier:

1 1/2 oz Bourbon (use something spicy, I chose Old Pogue)

1 oz Sweet Vermouth (I used M&R)

1 oz Campari

Certainly tasty, but not in the same league as a good negroni.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

i saw a curious liqueur at the store last week and decided i had to try it...

villardi's liqueur of "jabuticaba" from brazil ($14)

curiously they use the words "distilled and bottled by" on the back. i wonder what they distill the fortifying spirit from?

the pictures of the jabuticaba tree are pretty wild. the fruit grows right off the trunk and branches and not in the typical dangling clusters of anything north american.

over all, the taste of the liqueur is pretty one dimensional and "foxy" but not exactly like concord grape. based on wikipedia's description of the fruit, i was kind of hoping for a taste a little more like an italian mirto but didn't find it.

trial by sour was in order

.75 oz. liqueur of jabuticaba

.75 oz. lemon juice

1.5 oz. armazem vieira "rubi" cachaca.

this worked out really nice. the cachaca really added refined contrast to the foxy fruit. i was tempted to use a spirit like don cesar pisco or unaged cape verdean rum to ensure something challenging and adult tasting but things worked out and i was able to keep the brazilian theme...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Started with Toby Maloney's Southside ratios --

2 oz gin

3/4 oz simple

3/4 oz lime

mint

Bitters

-- but felt too lazy to get the mint. Saw some cherries on the counter:

2 oz gin (Tanqueray)

3/4 oz simple

3/4 oz lime

dash Angostura

3 cherries

Muddle cherries in the liquids; shake; strain. Very tasty.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

-- but felt too lazy to get the mint. Saw some cherries on the counter:

2 oz gin (Tanqueray)

3/4 oz simple

3/4 oz lime

dash Angostura

3 cherries

Muddle cherries in the liquids; shake; strain. Very tasty.

Sounds very tasty indeed. I'll bet a dash of Maraschino liqueur would work wonders in there. I have some sour cherries in the freezer - I'll have to give this a try.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

needed a refreshing drink before bed and all that was around was a lime.

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. kirschwasser (hiram walker)

1 oz. "african" rye whiskey (overholt redistilled with rooibos)

spoonful of sugar

2 dashes peychaud's

scant float of mezcal (del maguay chichicapa)

rooibos seems to have a pretty good affinity for kirshwasser. refreshing.

bostonapothecary.com

Been making this for some folks at work lately, I think it might have some potential if I can get it to be consistent:

2 oz Old Grand-dad BIB (house whiskey)

3/4 oz cacao

3/4 oz lemon

few thin slices of ginger

Shake very hard and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

Amount of ginger is hard to peg, it actually worked best with a 1/2 tsp or so grated in a microplane but I don't see that being practical for menu service. Next step is to infuse the OGD with ginger and see where that takes us.

Also had a regular ask for something absinthey tonight so I did a 3:1 Rob Roy with Grouse and M&R, dah each of Ango and Lucid, with a twist. I'd imagine it has a name but the really cool part was how the subtlety of the lucid seemed to accentuate the latent brininess of the Scotch. If it wasn't so late I'd have made one more myself when I got home. Really neat drink.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

today was kind of cold and i just had a late breakfast under the grape arbors of the "neighborhood restaurant" in union square.

the whole experience made me crave something of the sweeter, lower acid structure.

marconi wireless-esque.

i had just 1.5 oz. left of clear creek 8 year apple brandy. and as i was digging through the fridge for sweet vermouth i found one of my last canning jars of "late summer" vermouth i made a few years ago.

1.5 oz. clear creek 8 year apple brandy (epic!)

.75 oz. "late summer" vermouth

dash peychaud's bitters

flamed orange twist

the aromatized wine is definitely too low art to truly be called a "vermouth" but that makes it potentially a better contrast to the spectacular apple brandy.

bostonapothecary.com

Finally finished my interpretation of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster tonight. Fun stuff. A frozen drink that lemony and herbal at the same time. Will post the recipe as soon as I've recieved an answer back from the publisher...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I recently added a bottle of Cynar to the home bar, and have been having fun experimenting. The other night, I concocted this:

1.5 oz Applejack (Laird's bonded)

.5 Cynar

.5 Cointreau

several dashes Fee's rhubarb bitters

A bit sweet, but still pretty well balanced. Might cut back the Cointreau next time. Made for a really nice late night quaff.

Doing a few things with reposado tequila and Cynar too. Very good together!

Christopher