• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2004–2007)

percyn

Oh man, that sounds good. Sounds like it is a special day for you too!

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

johnder,

That Grey Saz is really something.

I had thought "the Appletini as featured on Scrubs" was the ultimate in cocktails.

Your restrained use pucker and addition of the Underberg bitters really civilizes that cocktail and takes it to a whole other level.

Kudos!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

John:

Karo syrup?? Really?? What an interesting idea. Was this in place of using regular or dark simple syrup?

I like the idea of using the Apple Pucker as a rinse. I can't really imagine what else to do with that stuff. Are the Underberg bitters something you made yourself, or does Underberg bottle bitters and I just didn't know that?

My ex used to love Underberg. I used to make him brush his teeth - twice - before coming near bed after drinking it. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ok, before I get any more emails or pm's from people thinking I lost my mind I want to say, no rye was hurt in the making of these photos.

Also, it is 4/1 -- April fools day. :biggrin:

I also don't have any apple pucker, that was green food dye and water. The red and red was actually diet red bull and flat coke. That was actually the first red bull I ever purchased or tasted.

I was hoping to keep it going a little longer, but honestly, I got about 7 emails from people asking me if I was ok or suffering from a dangerous fever. I was afraid to go to sleep and wake up with people beating down my door.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Had the afternoon off and cause enough to celebrate so I took the opportunity to try some new things:

While perusing this very thread I came across an interesting-sounding one called the Violet Femme:

2 oz gin (Plymouth specified, and used)

.5 oz Parfait Amour (Brizzard, natch)

2 sugar cubes (.5 oz simple specified, presumably 1:1)

1 oz lemon

grapefruit peel

(My directions) Muddle peel with lemon juice and sugar, add other ingredients and ice and shake; strain into chilled cocktail glass.

This is a fascinating drink, mostly a showcase for the PA (as its flavor is so strong). It works nicely by accenting the flavor subtly though, esp by the grapefruit peel. Worth making again, but probably not anytime soon.

Next, an Income Tax Cocktail a la Dr. Cocktail:

1.5 oz Gin (Bombay Dry)

.75 oz R. Vermouth (Cinzano)

.75 oz D. Vermouth (N-P)

dash Angostura

juice of 1/4 orange (or a little more, the orange wasnt very juicy)

shake/strain/up

Pretty good, rather different than other gin + oj drinks out there, worth another go, but I want to try the Bronx (basically the same sans bitters) first, though I'll probly use the Esquire Drinks recipe, which ups the juice and scales back the vermouths a lot.

Then it was a Bebbo, also from Vintage Spirits...

1.5 oz gin (Bombay Dry -- trying to use it up)

1 oz lemon

.5 oz honey (1 oz honey syrup, 1:1 honey and water for easy mixing)

2 tsp orange juice

shake/strain/up

Once again, pretty good, but I dont think I'll be having another one tomorrow or anything. I'm trying to use the Bombay which I had a lot of, but I think it would work better with another gin.

Then came dinner -- pan-fried venison cutlets with mashed potatoes and gravy, accompanied with a bottle of '04 Mouton Cadet (one of the best values in wine I've had, it was marvellous and under $10). Followed that with a glass of Warre's Warrior (ruby port). Then I decided to have one last one so I went with one that has intrigued me for some time: the Coffee Cocktail:

1 oz Cognac (Martell recommended and used)

2-3 oz Port (3 oz Warre's Warrior)

1 tsp sugar (1 tsp 2:1 simple syrup)

1 whole egg

Shake well and strain into small goblet.

I found this to be as unusual as I envisioned, but in other ways. Unlike using egg white, which can lighten a drink, using a whole egg adds a rather heavier texture and a hint of very eggy flavor. This is interesting at first, but becomes more unpleasant and destracting as the drink warms (and it will, it's a rather large one). On the whole I found this drink to be more academically interesting than tasty. As an aside, the drink came out purple, very unlike any description or photo I have seen. How peculiar.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I had a perfect day. I know that a cocktail is usually imbibed at the end of a long hard existetnial crisis, but not today. Everything fell into place like letters in a Boggle game. The subway might as well have been personal limo rolling up from valet parking. The Rain never fell when I was outside. The Polish Deli got my sandwitch right. My computer was on my side. So at the very respectable hour of 8:15 I went to Gothem for a cocktail. Mark works on wed. and I was craving a Gimlet. The Gimlet is one of the drinks that when it's good it's very, very good and when it is bad it is undrinkable. I don't know how he concocks such a beautifil drink. Maybe it was my yearning for all things spring amidts this cold rain and huddled people, maybe the need for an elegant glass perched before me, promising gloroius, happy tomorrows, but I think I just needed the sublime manage a trois of gin, lime and simple. The glasses at Gothem are sleek and classic, like a '64 Jag. The gimlet is sweet, no, it's tart, no it's strong and quaffiable. I had three. Heeding the advice Of Dorthey Parker I refrained from another.

So I get home and stepped up to my bar. It is a rather sad sight, since a gathering of 8 bartenders, and 4 cocktail waitresses a few months ago. I have Kummel, Sloe Gin, Benedictine, peach schnapps, Dulseda, Don Julio 1942, Belle de Brillet, Don Julio anejo, limoncello, Don Julio Repisado, Pernod, Don Julio Blanco, seven types of bitters, Dubonnet, Lillet blond, creme de menthe, Absente, Pisco, eleflower cordial, Kahlua, Amaro Montanegro, Orzata, Johnny Walker Red, Triple Sec...

And a Bottle of Beefeater way in the back. I pulled the gin from it's hiding place and put it on the counter, hoping for some inspiration. A root through my fridge, praying for something tart, something that can tame the rather rabid flavors of the gin. Two day old ordered in thai helps me not. I push past the beligeriant cold cuts and find a bottle of RED (fruit punch) Gatorade. Ouch!! I set the oh so sporty bottle next to the ridgid beefeater. There is not a lime, lemon or orange in the house. So i crack three perfect cubes of ice, add five dashes of Regans #6 bitters two fingers of the Queen Mum's Gin and a healthy splash of Flordia Football blood. It's not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I could Imagine having it ice cold, with a squeeze of lime while playing hungover softball in the park this summer.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

1 whole egg

i always made my coffee cocktails with equal parts cognac and port.....and because i am me sometimes i like two yolk but only when they are small.

it can be a very invigorating drink when you are tired but make sure it is super cold....

i became a big fan of raw eggs after trying all of "leo's specialties" at the end of leo engel's bar book....

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

1 whole egg

i always made my coffee cocktails with equal parts cognac and port.....and because i am me sometimes i like two yolk but only when they are small.

it can be a very invigorating drink when you are tired but make sure it is super cold....

i became a big fan of raw eggs after trying all of "leo's specialties" at the end of leo engel's bar book....

Yeah I've seen them that way too, notably here, which also includes a rather unorthodox dash of bitters. I used the recipe from Dr. Cocktail's book for no better reason than that I am trying to make every drink in it. I've got about ten left to go, which doesn't count recipes with the Swedish Punsch I have had no luck in obtaining.

Of course I'll probably revisit some of the ones I've made before as well.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Also, it is 4/1 -- April fools day.

Now THAT was a good one!! I thought you were serious and actually felt disapointed as your other posts were always so informative.

NICE ONE! (Probably helped that I read it 5 days later, but NICE!)

I liked the added trademark to the Red and Red too.

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

I made some cucumber infused vodka last week, and mixed up some cucumber gimlet's for a dinner party (lately it seems that whenever I'm invited over to someone's house for dinner, I'm expected to be on cocktail duty).

2 oz cucumber infused vodka

1/2 oz fresh lime juice

1/2 Rose's lime juice cordial

Just delicious - crisp and refreshing. Tonight I'm going to experiment with adding a bit of elderflower cordial, and maybe a dash of orange bitters.

A note about Rose's: do yourself a favor and find a British foods import shop and get some of the British Rose's, which is made with real lime juice and sugar, not corn syrup and concentrate. I can't stand the American version, but this stuff is fabulous.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

from the 1932 cocktail book "so red the nose"

One of the most amusing letters and least drinkable cocktails comes from H.L. Davis, author of the Harper prize-winning novel, Honey in the Horn. It is not recommended for "Children, expectant mothers and people who cry easily":

High Proof Rum (at least 10 years old)

(About 2 Beer Steins)

Dark Strained Honey (the thin, runny kind)

(A Tin Dipperful, and a Little Over)

Fresh Huckleberries (crushed to a pulp)

(A Tin Dipperful)

Mountain Ash Berries (crushed)

(2 Tablespoons; be careful with 'em boys)

Best Black Gunpowder - To Taste

"Mix (at room temperature) and stir savagely until it is no longer streaky in color. Each drink should be served with a toothpick impaling a dead bumblebee, a dead yellow jacket and a dead wasp. These are supposed to be eaten first to give the revelers a notion of what lies in store for them."

has anybody seen this book??? this is from a snippet i found on the web....

i would have made the drink but i didn't have the gun powerd... = )

bostonapothecary.com

Equal parts, by volume, Campari and lemon sorbet.

It's pretty strong on the Campari; if I were serving it to someone else, I'd probably top off with another equal part of club soda or Sprite.

To break in my newly acquired bottle of Hermes Violet, I made an Atty. I used the recipe from Diffords guide,

2 1/4 oz gin

3/4 oz vermouth

1/4 oz absinthe

1/4 oz violet liqueur

No twist - for the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm out of lemons.

To cut to the chase: My God, this is lovely. This one's going into the standard rotation, until my supply of Hermes Violet and Verte de Fougerolles run out.

gallery_24380_4394_43537.jpg

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

[...]

To cut to the chase:  My God, this is lovely.  This one's going into the standard rotation, until my supply of Hermes Violet and Verte de Fougerolles run out.

One of my absolute favorite discoveries from the Savoy Cocktail Book. Unfortunately it calls for two very hard to find ingredients so I have a hard time recommending it to American cocktail enthusiasts, (unless they are at my house).

However, I have recently learned that Liqueurs de France is now carrying a French Violet Liqueur from Deniset:

Liqueurs de France

So in the event you might be purchasing Absinthe from them, you could add on the (relatively) reasonable Liqueur de Violette. I haven't tasted this particular Violet liqueur, so can't comment on its style or quality.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I didn't even think I liked Bloody Marys, but I've been fooling aorund with them the past few days at work and came up with one using black pepper-infused vodka and basil muddled in with it. Aside from that, fairly basic: tomato juice, lemon juice, worcestershire, tobasco, salt. The basil really makes it something special and the pepper vodka gives it an intense heat from an very unusual direction. It's a flavor I love but have in the past found it difficult to incorporate without creating grit in the bottom of the glass.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Had an Opera last night at Alembic. First time I've tried this drink, Martin Miller's Gin, Red Dubonet, Maraschino, and orange peel. Quite nice! Definitely going to go on the regular rotation.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

With my order of Falernum syrup for my bar, Fee Brothers was kind enough to send me a few samples of their cordial syrups that I requested. The Apricot cordial is particularly nice. Made an Apricot Sidecar variant with Brandy, apricot cordial, a dash of simple syrup and fresh lemon that was pretty tasty. Also tried it with rum and fresh lime. Might try the Apricot with some rye or bourbon and see how that plays tonight.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

With my order of Falernum syrup for my bar, Fee Brothers was kind enough to send me a few samples of their cordial syrups that I requested.  The Apricot cordial is particularly nice.  Made an Apricot Sidecar variant with Brandy, apricot cordial, a ldash of simple syrup and fresh lemon that was pretty tasty.  Also tried it with rum and fresh lime.  Might try the Apricot with some rye or bourbon and see how that plays tonight.

can't you get apry where you are?? you reminded me that i need to pick up another bottle...

Culross

1 ounce white rum.

1 ounce Apry or other apricot brandy.

1 ounce Lillet.

3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice.

charlie trotter loves apricots.... he has a great dessert that is a "study" of them....

i almost wanted to make a cocktail list insert that was a study of some particular flavor....

hmm. i have all this sauternes that needs a home....apricot brandy and sauterns.... perhaps with a very delicate gin....

cheers.

bostonapothecary.com

Sweetie, I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm lucky I can get vodka. :biggrin:

Marie Brizard Apry is listed as a Special Order product in PA. I suppose I could get it, but the Fee cordials are pretty cost effective and don't add more alcohol. Sometimes the alcohol content of the base spirit is enough.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Had an Opera last night at Alembic.  First time I've tried this drink, Martin Miller's Gin, Red Dubonet, Maraschino, and orange peel.  Quite nice!  Definitely going to go on the regular rotation.

Tried this one tonight. The Miller's is all gone so we went with Tanqueray. It was an okay drink but we both thought it needed a little something. Two dashes of Regan's orange bitters did the trick!

KathyM

tonight i was making and drinking the 3.3.3....

calvados.... (apple jack)

triple sec.... (creole shrub)

grapefruit juice....

subtle and delicous.... though it does come out on the sweet side and i'd consider it a sweet drink....if i make it for me i need an extra splash of lemon juice and orange bitters....

bostonapothecary.com

In the interest of science, I tried the Filmograph Cocktail from Vintage Spirits... but to the original recipe (which the book does not recommend).

2 oz Brandy (1 oz Hennessey VS)

3/4 oz Lemon Syrup (1/4 oz Monin Lemon Syrup)

1/2 oz Kola Tonic (1/4 oz Rose's Kola Tonic)

Stir/strain/up; no garnish used but a twist of some kind would have worked well.

The book recommends using lemon juice instead of syrup, which I tried a few months back with interesting, if underwhelming, results. The drink was decent but not exciting enough to make regularly. For some reason I got to thinking about it the other day though and decided to try it again with the lemon syrup I had acquired in the meantime. The final verdict, I think, is that with the sweeteners cut way back, the addition of a dash of bitters, and the use of a more muscular brandy like Martell, this could be quite an interesting cocktail, somewhat in the vein of a Japanese Cocktail, for after-dinner consumption.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Nothing terribly inventive, but this weekends warm weather lead to the first Caipirinha's of the year. They certainly are tasty little devils. Perfect for warm weather. Had some pineapple and tried one that way. It was good but I like the lime better. This was made with 51.

To break in my newly acquired bottle of Hermes Violet, I made an Atty.  I used the recipe from Diffords guide,

2 1/4 oz gin

3/4 oz vermouth

1/4 oz absinthe

1/4 oz violet liqueur

No twist - for the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm out of lemons.

To cut to the chase:  My God, this is lovely.  This one's going into the standard rotation, until my supply of Hermes Violet and Verte de Fougerolles run out.

gallery_24380_4394_43537.jpg

I made some Attys for us last night, using Jade Edouard 72 Absinthe, Benoit Serres Liqueur de Violette, Cascade Mountain gin, and Noilly Prat vermouth (thought about using Vya, but it seemed like it would overpower everything).

It was OK. I liked it, LMF didn't so much. I think I need to use a different gin, work on proportions, or something else. I added a dash of ROB#6 to LMF's, which helded a little, bit it still needs a little adjustment.

(Picture taken prior to addition of lemon twist.)

469983249_c95d77ec76.jpg

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks