• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2004–2007)

percyn

Hmmm...

I'm trying to imagine the flavor combination of coffee vodka, lime juice, and vermouth with a maraschino cherry. I can't quite bring it together in my mind without feeling a little ill. Especially if I imagine the lime juice to be Rose's.

I didn't say they were good. Merely proving their existence is all.

I thought the very thing you did when I read that recipe. Feh!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Poking around in the (walk-in) freezer today we came across some Corazon Tequila macerating with maple syrup and summer truffles. Feeling festive we came up with the Truffled Margarita. You can see a photo here. We sliced the truffles for garnish and combined the tequila with lime juice, yuzu juice and honey. It was earthy, juicy and simply delicious, if I do say so myself. Hopefully our guests will agree.

A. Kamozawa

Ideas in Food

Poking around in the (walk-in) freezer today we came across some Corazon Tequila macerating with maple syrup and summer truffles.  Feeling festive we came up with the Truffled Margarita.  You can see a photo here.  We sliced the truffles for garnish and combined the tequila with lime juice, yuzu juice and honey.  It was earthy, juicy and simply delicious, if I do say so myself.  Hopefully our guests will agree.

Very Nice!! Looks gorgeous in the glass too. Well done.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Saw pickled walnuts at The British Shoppe today and had a brainstorm.

1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin

3/4 oz Nocino di Flannestad

Shake in an iced cocktail shaker and strain into martini glass. Garnish with half a pickled walnut. Flame an orange zest over the top and scent the rim of the glass.

The gin and nocino both skirt the edge of bitter and sweet, making a great aperitif cocktail. Okay, the pickled walnuts are ugly. Tasty, though. Been practising the flaming orange zest thing since seeing the showmen at Employees Only on Eat This with Dave Lieberman. This time I was close to their pyrotechnics.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

i am at this moment drinking a Preakness. mmm, mmm, tasty! sweet and spicy!

i just want to take a moment to thank those of you who have been pushing Rye. i have been trying to enjoy whiskey for the last 4 or 5 months... attempting to expand my horizons from gin. Rye has been my way into whiskey. after developing a taste for it, i'm finding that i'm liking bourbon and scotch way more than i ever have. thanks!

I'm drinking a nicely muddled Old Fashioned. A couple of thin slices of orange, two maraschino cherries, 1 Tbs. of demerara sugar and two dashes of Fee bitters

gallery_7409_476_8218.jpg

muddled at the bottom of my glass.

gallery_7409_476_9373.jpg

2.5 oz of Buffalo Trace bourbon and stir until sugar dissolves. Add two ice cubes and a big splash of club soda and stir one more time.

gallery_7409_476_35504.jpg

Delicious!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I was out of regular lemons, so had to use a Meyer, perhaps its less assertive nature contributed to the cacao dominating.

Will try it again with .5 oz cacao and a "regular" lemon.

Erik, I had the same reaction when I tried it with Meyer lemon juice -- it really doesn't stand up to the other flavors. The drink is very different with regular lemon juice -- still not one of my favorites, but it's much cleaner tasting.

Tweaked 20th century

1.5 Oz gin

.75 cacao

.75 Lillet Blond

.75 lemon

Shake, strain into a a chilled cocktail glass no garnish. One of my customers said it was drinking Art Deco another said it was like the Crystler building in a glass.

Confidential to A&A Looking forward to the 20th century truffles!!!

Another use of Cacao,

2 Oz. Rye

.75 Lemon

.50 demerera syrup

.25 cacao

cherrys

peychaud bitters

Muddle cherrys, combine all ingrediants in a shaker, shake, strain into chilled cocktail glass.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

ooh... just reading about the 20th century in dr. cocktail's vintage and forgotten cocktails. really need to get some cacao.

what do you call your 2nd, rye concoction? oh, and after you muddle the cherries, do they stay in the shaker during the pour?

Edited by lostmyshape (log)

Making Brazilian Daiquiri mix for a party on Thursday.

How can I resist trying some in a nifty short cocktail?

-Erik

BTW, wow these are tasty! The last time I made them was in 1992 for our going away to California party. Why on earth did I wait so long?

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

ooh... just reading about the 20th century in dr. cocktail's vintage and forgotten cocktails.  really need to get some cacao.

what do you call your 2nd, rye concoction?  oh, and after you muddle the cherries, do they stay in the shaker during the pour?

Yes the cherries stay in the shaker. Or you can make a punch, whole bowl so the cherries get to sit and macerate. But they need to not be in the cocktail when poured. Good on the rocks as well. I'm not sure of the name. just came up with it, with the help of a good friend, on Sunday.

In "Vintage Spirits...", Ted Haigh suggests a more film noir way to ask for it at the bar is as a "Bronx with Bitters".

:-)

That was my first thought but whenever I've asked for a Bronx at a bar lately I've been met with blank looks.

Okay guys, help me out. What do I do with Cynar?

Think of it as bitters big bottle. Mess about with Manhattans, Rob Roys, maybe a whisper in an Income Tax? It may have enough sweetness to make it's way into a holiday burbon or rye punch, in small measures.

Try Audrey's "Little Italy" cocktail:

2 oz : Rittenhouse bonded rye

0.5 oz : Cynar

0.75 oz : Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth

Stir with ice, strain and garnish with Luxardo cherries

--

i can vouch for the Little Italy. had it at Pegu Club and had to go out and get a bottle of Cynar to do them at home.

i think of Cynar as similar to Campari and have substituted one for the other in a couple drinks. they're distictive, Cynar seems sweeter to me, but both pack a bitter punch.

is it odd that cocktaildb.com doesn't have a listing for cynar?

I was reading the underwhelming Food and Wine cocktail issue and I came across the Don't Give Up the Ship (Ben Dougherty: Zig Zag Seattle) cocktail. I had everything on hand so I gave it a go, not bad.

Fill shaker with ice

(forgive me for measure's I pulled this from F&W)

3 tablespoons gin

1 tablespoon Dubonnet Rouge

1/2 tablespoon Gran Marnier

1/2 tablespoon Fernet Branca

stir: 30 count

strain

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

On our older but still great thread, It's Friday, it's after 5:00, and I'm going to mix a . . ., we were investigating the possibilities of Boodles and Cynar. I came up with the Boodle's Baby Drop, the name of which you'll understand if you scroll back a little from my post.

It was a first try, and I never went back to experiment or improve it, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to mention them here, or there.

It was a first try, and I never went back to experiment or improve it, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to mention them here, or there.

Oh goodie, I have all those ingredients. (Well, not boodles, but bombay original) I'll do some experimental drinking tomorrow night, and report back.

Got a bottle of Torani Amer and mixed up a Brooklyn using Old Overholt last night. This was outstanding, used receipe from Dr. Cocktail's book. We have been trying drinks from his book and I think this is my favorite.

2oz rye

3/4 oz dry vermouth

2 teaspoons Amer

2 teaspoons Luxardo maraschino

Shaken hard for a good while. It was cold and very good.

Does Dr. cocktail say to shake this cocktail? Because I would stir this cocktail. The Stinger is the The only cocktail with no fruit juice that is shaken that I know of. Why this is the exeption to the rule I know not. Maybe the creme de menth can absorb the effervesence with aplomb.

I had a riff on a New Nork flip last night and it was so perfect for a chilly night.R

2 Oz. Cuban style rum (Methuselem is a favorite)

.75 Oz Port

1.0 Oz. Demerra syrup

1.0 Oz. Heavy Cream

1 whole egg

nutmeg

Combine everything but the nutmeg in a shaker. Shake hard and long with large, dry, cold ice. Strain into a large chilled goblet. Grate nutmeg on top.

1 ounce Galliano

4 ounces cold Coca-Cola

large amount of both Angostura and Gary Regan's orange bitters (~20 drops each)

It's a sweet drink, and I'd like it more if it were a bit less so -- maybe I should try adding rye or something to it. But it has transformed the bottle of Galliano from "something I'm drinking to make room in the cabinet" to "something I'll have to buy more of when I run out." (I like the taste of Galliano but haven't found many drinks I like it in.)

Got a bottle of Torani Amer and mixed up a Brooklyn using Old Overholt last night. This was outstanding, used receipe from Dr. Cocktail's book.  We have been trying drinks from his book and I think this is my favorite. 

2oz rye

3/4 oz dry vermouth

2 teaspoons Amer

2 teaspoons Luxardo maraschino

Shaken hard for a good while.  It was cold and very good.

Whoops, my bad. Ted does indeed say a Brooklyn should be stirred. Do not want anyone to think ill of Dr. Cocktail due to my mistake

I was reading the underwhelming Food and Wine cocktail issue...

Wow, is the Food and Wine feature ever underwhelming. Don't usually read this magazine, so not sure if this is par for the course.

It's the cover, yet there is almost no type in the magazine dedicated to cocktails. I was about 3/4 of the way through the magazine and wondering where they were. Then all they have is a photo spread of 6 (or so?) bartenders, with a very short blurb and recipe each. (OK, there was a glassware feature, and a few cocktails in the article about the Latin American chef.)

Plus, in addition to using cups instead of ounces in the recipes, they seem to have made no attempt to standardize the size of the cocktails. I think one cocktail amounted to 3 TBSP of liquor and flavoring and another was nearly a cup.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA