• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2004–2007)

percyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just tried David Embury's Apricot Rickey. for the first time.

juice of half a large lime

2 oz apricot brandy

ice

stirred in a 8 oz glass, topped up with soda water.

Just the thing for a hot, humid London night in my baking hot top floor flat !

gethin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Tutti-Frutti. My latest concoction of green apple vodka, X-rated liqueur and Peach Fresca! Definitely a girlie drink, but a very good use of all of the ingredients.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

'fallen leaves' from that american bar book by charles schumann. 1/4 oz dry vermouth to 3/4 oz each vermouth rosso and calvados. dashes of brandy, stirred and strained, lemon twist.

i really thought it would need bitters but for some reason it didn't.

I just got back from lunch with a friend. I had a lovely glass of Mount Gay with raw sugar and a very generous slice of lime... the alternative was a pina colada, NOT my favorite thing!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My quest to create a palatable cocktail with Navarro's absolutely delicious Chardonnay verjus continues. Today it was an Aviation variation with verjus standing in for the lemon. The verjus just didn't bring enough sparkle to the drink, and its relatively mild mannered demeanor allowed the Maraschino to bully its way to the front. Maybe if I reduced the Maraschino by half...

Aside from just verjus, soda, and a touch of simple, so far the best has been the Rye, Benedictine, and Verjus. Still, it was nothing to write home about.

Ah, well, back to the drawing board.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum neat

Knappogue Cask 1994 Irish Single Malt neat

Bunratty Poteen iced (in freezer, NOT with ice)

Pineapple Juice with Cruzan Coconut Rum

Limeade with George Dickel Beige Label Whiskey

Dark-n-Stormy (Rum and Ginger Ale.....ideally, Gosling's Black Seal 80 Rum and Barritt's Bermuda Ginger Ale)

Mango-Orange Juice with Appleton Special Gold Rum or Mount Gay Eclipse

Appleton Special Gold on the rock with lime quarter-wedge

Coca-Cola with Bourbon or Tennesse Whiskey

Bajan/Barbadian Rum Punch: "1 of sour, 2 of sweet, 3 of strong, 4 of weak", sour = lime, sweet = sugar or alternative sweetner, strong = Barbados rum, weak = water. I use 8 of water/weak since I find 4 of weak to be too strong for my taste. I sometimes subsitute 1.5 of Cruzan Coconut and 1.5 Mount Gay Eclipse for "3 of strong".

(I didn't try this all to-day. Some of the more recent drinks/spirits I tried recently.)

Edited by elixirofthetropics (log)

Finally tracked down some White Bols Creme de Cacao. Dusty old bottle in a tiny liquor store apparently run by the russian mafia. Odd that the larger liquor stores only seem to carry the American brands. I refuse to buy potter or hiram walker.

Gave the 20th Century from "Vintage Spirits..." a try, and am not sure. I didn't tell my wife what it was before having her taste it, and she said, "Tastes like some sort of odd candy. What is that taste?" It certainly has an intriguing flavor.

I was out of regular lemons, so had to use Meyer, perhaps their less assertive nature contributed to the cacao dominating.

Will try it again with .5 oz cacao and a "regular" lemon.

fix grammar

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was out of regular lemons, so had to use a Meyer, perhaps its less assertive nature contributed to the cacao dominating.

Will try it again with .5 oz cacao and a "regular" lemon.

Erik, I had the same reaction when I tried it with Meyer lemon juice -- it really doesn't stand up to the other flavors. The drink is very different with regular lemon juice -- still not one of my favorites, but it's much cleaner tasting.

Erik, I had the same reaction when I tried it with Meyer lemon juice -- it really doesn't stand up to the other flavors. The drink is very different with regular lemon juice -- still not one of my favorites, but it's much cleaner tasting.

Thanks Janet! That's what I thought.

Tried an Income Tax cocktail last night, and that is one I can really get behind. Relatively straight forward, yet complex. Might be my new favorite cocktail. Certainly something which I will make again.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Erik that looks like a perfect martini with the addition of oj.

In "Vintage Spirits...", Ted Haigh suggests a more film noir way to ask for it at the bar is as a "Bronx with Bitters".

:-)

It got me wondering if there were cocktails named after all 5 boroughs. Manhattan and Brooklyn, of course, but, I couldn't find anything for Staten Island or Queens.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Erik that looks like a perfect martini with the addition of oj.

In "Vintage Spirits...", Ted Haigh suggests a more film noir way to ask for it at the bar is as a "Bronx with Bitters".

:-)

It got me wondering if there were cocktails named after all 5 boroughs. Manhattan and Brooklyn, of course, but, I couldn't find anything for Staten Island or Queens.

Staten Island Cocktail

Queens Cocktail

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hmmm...

I'm trying to imagine the flavor combination of coffee vodka, lime juice, and vermouth with a maraschino cherry. I can't quite bring it together in my mind without feeling a little ill. Especially if I imagine the lime juice to be Rose's.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA