• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2004–2007)

percyn

Percy:

A most impressive collection of post-prandial libations you have there my friend!

I have a very large collection of Austrian schnapps in various flavors, but it's been a while since I've had the desire to singe the lining of my esophagus that way. :biggrin: Perhaps now that's it's so chilly out, that warming effect might seem more welcome.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, hardly comparable to that beautiful spread of booze you posted Percy, but today with dinner we had a Cline Oakley 5 reds blend. 2002.

For an under $10 Thursday night bottle, it was pretty smooth. Medium body, not too fruity. Little bit of cinnamon and cloves in there. Good solid red wine for a cold night.

OT ... Katie, Austrian Schnapps makes me think of growing up in Milwaukee. There was a liquor store called the Schnapps Haus, think 60s idealized hoky chalet full of red cheeked German ladies and Santa Claus look alikes. I used to love visiting that place as a kid! Though I didn't get why everyone was so jolly in there. ;) I might have to have some later on in honor of the memory.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Percy:

A most impressive collection of post-prandial libations you have there my friend!

I have a very large collection of Austrian schnapps in various flavors, but it's been a while since I've had the desire to singe the lining of my esophagus that way. :biggrin:  Perhaps now that's it's so chilly out, that warming effect might seem more welcome.

Katie,

Thanks...that means a lot coming from the Aphrodite of Alcohol :wub: .

Actually, this is a small sampling...it all started with a VS(OP? don't recall) a few years ago and went from there. Hey, my wife likes to shop for clothes and shoes, so I have to keep up with something :raz: . Perhaps we will get to (virtually) sample these and more over the course of my posts here.

Those Austrian schnapps sound inviting....quite different experience from the schnapps I had in college :biggrin:

Here is the latest bottle of single malt I picked up a few days ago. I have tried single malts in Sherry and Port wood, but never in French Limousin Oak.....was pretty good with that distinctive Glenlivet smoothness.

gallery_21049_162_1102893983.jpg

Hmm...feeling like a nice smooth cognac tonight...maybe the Remy XO or Henessey Paradis....tune in tomorrow to find out :wink:

CHEERS !!!

OK - you've all inspired me to try and post a picture. First I must apologize for the poor quality - I know how to work the camera on my new cell phone, but not yet the digital camera I purchased a few months ago :rolleyes: Also, the in-cabinetry lighting is out because the cord with the switch on it has fallen into the depths behind the built-in shelves and I have no idea how I'll ever fish it back out. :angry:

Here's a look at the schnapps collection:

gallery_7409_476_1103258466.jpg

There's about 16 different flavors of schnapps, limoncello and grappa in there. I've not had the urge tonight to have one yet - I've satisfied myself instead with a Vanilla infused bourbon and Ginger ale.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And the choice for last night's cognac was.......[drum roll please]....... The Hennessy Paradis. This cognac is one of those (not too) hidden gems. The quality of it is about as good if not better than Louis XIII, and this sells for a fraction of that cost. The bouquet of this cognac is amazing. I usually spend the first 5 minutes simply enjoying the aroma and gently warming the glass in my hands. It is amazing how the bouquet (and later the taste) changes with the gently warming. The first sip is amazing...a rush for your senses...nectar for the Gods !! I usually associate this cognac with honey, apricot, walnuts, toffee, hazelnuts and oak.

And those legs....those beautiful legs....could rival those of any supermodel. :wub::wacko::blink: (must get back to reality *wack* :wacko::huh::laugh: )

About half way though enjoying this cognac, I usually pair it with a good dark chocolate. Last night I paired it with a few pieces of Limited Edition Valrhona 2002 Gran Couva (64% cocoa from Trinidad), but occasionally pair it with Valrhona Manjari Orange Dark Chocolate Bar or Valrhona Caraibe Noisettes Dark Bar.

gallery_21049_162_1103331619.jpg

Katie - Nice collection!! The picture looks fine, though I am sure you will become an expert with your new camera in no time :biggrin:

Cheers

Percy

P.S : Lets see....what will it be tonight....

Having enjoyed the Dinner! thread, I thought it might be fun to post what drinks you enjoyed before, during or post dinner (or brunch/lunch).

For "relaxing after work" drinks we like, check out this thread: It's Friday, it's after five, and I think I'll have a . . .

Nice collection of after dinner liquors. I just bought a bottle of Compass Box Peat Monster Scotch, which will no doubt be my after dinner dram of choice until I run out.

My throat was a bit sore yesterday from walking around South Philly and I left like I was coming down with a cold...so I decided to drink some grown-up Nyquil.

This is a Maple Syrup Eau-de-Vie, which has the flavor of soothing, comforting maple syrup, nuts, carmel, etc, but with a 40% alchol by volume kick. Though I haven't tried this, I think it would be good in coffee...in fact, I will add it to the coffee I am drinking right now... :biggrin:

gallery_21049_162_1104343874.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing all that good Scotch makes me thirsty but I just had to finish off the bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario from Guatemala. To be fair it was almost empty and as we all know, when there are only a couple of fingers left in the bottle it needs to be drunk, since even the best alcohols oxidize with age in an almost emptly bottle.

Besides I have another full bottle in the cabinet somewhere.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bottle of Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate Vodka because I like the idea of it. When I got home, I realized I had no real plans on how to use it. I've been mixing a drink I had dubbed "The Nutty Dutchman" but last night it became the 'Chocolate Covered Almond'. Equal parts chocolate vodka and amaretto, with a splash of cream.

An idea of the vodka with maraschino juice tasted good in my head, not in the glass. The beau added Dooley's Toffee Liquer and made a choco toffee-nut, but it curdled. Yucky. If the card reader works tonight, I'll post a pic.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

David,

I will give it a shot, but my senses are not as honed as a professional such as yours...

Nose : Blackberry, pencil, faint violets

Palate : I was immediately hit with berries, pencil lead and a fair amount of tannins and acid. The wine could have been cellared for a new more years (though I have been wanted to try it for the 5yrs it has been lying in my cellar). Perfectly drinkable if you let it breath in a decanter and a great value for the price.

David,

I will give it a shot, but my senses are not as honed as a professional such as yours...

Nose : Blackberry, pencil, faint violets

Palate : I was immediately hit with berries, pencil lead and a fair amount of tannins and acid. The wine could have been cellared for a new more years (though I have been wanted to try it for the 5yrs it has been lying in my cellar). Perfectly drinkable if you let it breath in a decanter and a great value for the price.

Thanks, Percyn. Nice note.

Methinks yonder glassy tubey thing is one of those contraptions that Wine Enthusiast and the like used to sell--I haven't seen one offered since about '98. It was a sort of Chem-lab-ish system for making your own distillates, "for display" only or "educational purposes only" caveated deal. If I recall, they didn't work all that great, you'd distill about a 1/2 tsp at a time and the glass with the distill-ee would get too hot and there was really no way to recycle the cool water in the funny thing the condenser was in and on and on and on. And they cost about 250.00 American.

The good thing was that you could make grappa on-the-fly in case you needed to scrub the lipstick off the only coffee cup in your bachelor pad--and then you'd only use it if the old shade didn't match the color of your latest paramour's pucker-paint.

(Edited to delete some off color foolishness of questionable taste/value. Vodka like)

myers

Edited by fatdeko (log)