• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2012, part 2)

bostonapothecary

1 oz. st. james ambre

.5 oz. vida mezcal

.5 oz. wray & nephews "berry hill" allspice liqueur

1 oz. chateau bel air "vieille vignes" 2009 noble rot semillon

a good time. i haven't made a drink with dessert wine in quite a while. the back of the bel air bottle disclosed a residual sugar of 114g/l which screamed cocktail to me. i thought i owned a bottle of benedictine but apparently not so i opted into allspice liqueur. the mezcal makes the drink a bit of an acquired taste and seems to be a distraction from the splendor of the dessert wine aromas. if made again i'd trade the mezcal for either cognac or for lemonhart 151, otherwise the other three ingredients sing harmoniously.

do not be afraid to put extraordinary dessert wines in cocktails. as long as you do not unite them with aromas that overshadow or are too distant like the intense smoke of the mezcal, the uniqueness and singularity of a special dessert wine can be shown off quite well.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

All these awesome recipes to try! :) I haven't posted much on the forums, yet. But I suppose it's about time I did.

I typically enjoy a nice bourbon or rum, either neat or with a couple of "whiskey stones" to chill it jut a bit. Lately, I've been enjoying some Plantation "Extra Old 20th Anniversary" rum. Absolutely delicious as an after-dinner drink.

I also love Manhattan cocktails. I stick with the traditional recipe, but here's what I use in mine:

• 3oz Basil Hayden bourbon
  • 1oz+ Noilly-Pratt sweet vermouth
  • 2-3 drops Angostura bitters
  • 1-2 marashino cherries

There's something about the Basil Hayden that's just perfect for a smooth Manhattan.

Last night I decided to justify my impulsive purchase of Cherry Heering by making a Blood & Sand. I don't own any blended scotch but a sensible person, when faced with my collection, would maybe choose something like Glenfiddich 12. A friendly Speyside. I opted for Talisker 10. I ended up with something that tasted just as I'd imagine a Cherry Ripe chocolate bar rolled around in an ash tray would taste like.

That is, to say, it tasted very nice.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Was perusing the 'St Germain' thread for ideas, mostly, on using up the 50mL mini of the stuff I purchased a while ago. I'd already used up 5, maybe 10 mL on some other cocktail and hadn't come away convinced that I needed or even kind of wanted a full-sized bottle of the liqueur in my booze collection.

Anyway, I stumbled across a recipe for an 'In-Seine.' I halved the quantities as I didn't feel like drinking lot.

• splash of absinthe (I actually used pernod)
  • 1 oz cognac
  • 3/4 oz St Germain

Garnished with a sliver of lemon peel. It's interesting, I'll give it that. It's not something I'd make my go-to drink, but if I can blind-buy some Cherry Heering for the shit of it I'll probably eventually pick up a full-sized St Germain bottle.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

rum from the island of madeira!

1 oz. lime juice

8 g. non aromatic white sugar

2 oz. "caninha", "rum agricola da madeira"

"distilled from fermented juice of sugarcane" $20/L retail.

the rum is pretty cool relative to the price, but doesn't well compare on a sensory level with the rums of cape verde or of minas gerais in brazil which are similarly priced.

the rum did result in a spectacular daiquiri enhanced by the new symbolic angle (madeira!)...

you could run an entire bar program based around products from the portuguese empire. if anyone wants to sponsor me i'll do it.

bostonapothecary.com

Playing with the Old Fashioned. Tonight it's a scotch-based variant: Glenfiddich 21 rum finsh w/ Fee Brother's orange bitters and Peychaud's bitters. It's okay.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

four part collage

.75 oz. lime juice

.75 oz. vergano americano

.75 oz. brandymel

.75 oz. villa rosati grappa of moscato

quite lovely. bitter and sour. though their aromas shout, no ingredient dominates the conversation.

bostonapothecary.com

Tonight, a Bennett Cocktail, one of the great old lime drinks. (Some drinks -- Daiquiris in particular -- demand healthy limes. But the Bennett, what with the Chartreuse & Angostura, benefits from that bit of funk an older lime provides.)

2 oz gin (Broker's)

1 oz lime

1/2 oz simple

heavy dash Angostura

heavy dash Chartreuse

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

an oldie but goodie.

"boston flip"

1.5 oz. glen fiddich 12

1 oz d'oliveira 10 year madeira demi doux

.5 oz. simple syrup

egg

i haven't made an egg drink in quite a while. i remember these being really enjoyable quite a few years ago. i went through a dessert wine flip phase back then. this one is really elegant stuff.

bostonapothecary.com

Tonight, a Bennett Cocktail, one of the great old lime drinks. (Some drinks -- Daiquiris in particular -- demand healthy limes. But the Bennett, what with the Chartreuse & Angostura, benefits from that bit of funk an older lime provides.)

2 oz gin (Broker's)

1 oz lime

1/2 oz simple

heavy dash Angostura

heavy dash Chartreuse

The sugar is a nod to modern palates, I get that. But where did you come up with putting Chartreuse in this? Not that it sounds bad, I've just never seen a Bennett quantified that way.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

2 oz gin (Broker's)

1 oz lime

1/2 oz simple

heavy dash Angostura

heavy dash Chartreuse

The sugar is a nod to modern palates, I get that. But where did you come up with putting Chartreuse in this? Not that it sounds bad, I've just never seen a Bennett quantified that way.

I don't know anything about it but it sounds mighty tasty to me so I'm going to try it. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 oz gin (Broker's)

1 oz lime

1/2 oz simple

heavy dash Angostura

heavy dash Chartreuse

i thought i'd drink along...

i substituted caledonia gin from vermont, 4g of non aromatic white sugar, and the special addition jaggery chatreuse.

really wonderful. the intense dryness is a distraction from the aromas so i don't think my special selections made the drink any better or worse. most of the time i prefer gustatory dryness to aroma anyhow. tart drinks are therapeutic. will make again.

bostonapothecary.com

I decided to finish off a bottle of Tanqueray (only got one ounce out of it--ended up using a 50:50 ratio of Tanq to Plym) with a Bennett. I used a little bit less sugar than what you said, only because I don't like sweet things--I wanted the sourness to dominate--but man. This. Is. Fucking. Great.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

.75 oz. genever style gin (malta goya aromatized gin!)

.75 oz. mezcal (vida)

1 oz. madeira (d'oliveira 10 year "doux")

.5 oz. brandymel (most essential of all honey liqueurs)

half bar spoon of lavender "essence"

dollop of pistachio "cream"

the creaminess is opulent. the smoke and malt contrast each other perfectly. the overtone of the madeira and brandymel is spectacularly enigmatic.

i was making some pistachio milk for a bread pudding so i stole a spoonful of the centrifuged fat. the malt-mezcal-lavender trio was inspired by something i had at Drink a year or so ago... the lavender essence was originally made to mix with ammonia and clean my floors, but it also tastes good in a drink.

bostonapothecary.com

... the lavender essence was originally made to mix with ammonia and clean my floors, but it also tastes good in a drink.

Wow. Drinks that clean up after themselves when you spill them. Wish I'd thought of that! :raz:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Tried Cynar for the first time tonight, mixed with soda. I was quite a fan, I think I'll have to see where I can get a bottle cheapest round here...

A couple of sours tonight.

For me, a Trinidad Sour.

1 oz Angostura, 1 oz homemade orgeat, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 1/2 oz rye.

6854496919_ac2fdbd5d3_z.jpg

For him, the Eastern Sour from BeachBum Berry Remixed.

2.5 oz orange juice (I used Cara Cara and Moro oranges), 2 oz bourbon, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 1/4 oz orgeat, 1/4 oz simple.

6854589225_80c5d244ec_z.jpg