• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2012, part 2)

bostonapothecary

Albuquerque Old Fashioned from Kindred Cocktails. Subbed in Tabasco--hey, people use it in a Bloody Mary--in place of the habanero shrub. Don't have habanero shrub, obviously. I suspect I need a bit more Tabasco than the 5 drops specified for it to really come through. This was an experiment that worked, however.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

A slightly modified take on the Oaxaca Old-Fashioned. Modifications stemming from prior experience with tequila-based OFs (grapefruit bitters) and what I had on hand. 1.5 oz aged tequila, .5 oz mezcal, 1 tsp dark agave syrup, 2 dashes grapefruit bitters, 1 dash Angostura bitters, lemon twist, single large ice cube.

Nice but I think next time I'd maybe try using 1.75 oz tequila to .25 oz mezcal. Or maybe losing the Angostura in favour of, say, chocolate mole. Maybe the spicy chocolate-ness would make friends with the smoky mezcal.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

A slightly modified take on the Oaxaca Old-Fashioned. Modifications stemming from prior experience with tequila-based OFs (grapefruit bitters) and what I had on hand. 1.5 oz aged tequila, .5 oz mezcal, 1 tsp dark agave syrup, 2 dashes grapefruit bitters, 1 dash Angostura bitters, lemon twist, single large ice cube.

Nice but I think next time I'd maybe try using 1.75 oz tequila to .25 oz mezcal. Or maybe losing the Angostura in favour of, say, chocolate mole. Maybe the spicy chocolate-ness would make friends with the smoky mezcal.

I, too, am a big fan of grapefruit bitters in tequila old fashioneds. Which mezcal are you using? For a while, the only one I had was Monte Alban, which is so aggressively smoky that I found a rinse to be plenty. With my recently acquired Del Maguey Chichicapa (thanks, Chris!), a half-ounce is wonderful.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

My pleasure, Matt!

I agree that the mezcal is essential to the OOF. I usually use Chinaco or Herradura añejo as the base spirit, and the Del Maguey gives that velvety, leathery tequila a sturdy backbone.

Truly a remarkable drink.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm using Monte Alban too. The range of mezcals I have access to is very limited. I think the big chains sell maybe three different kinds and, according to reviews, Monte Alban was the pick of them.

EDIT

I was using Herradura anejo as the base, too.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Took a crack at Pouring Ribbons Dueling Banjos with only the description (Mai Tai variation) to go by.

Weller Special Reserve (which I can't get so, to stay with the wheated theme, I used Maker's Mark)

Eagle Rare

lemon juice

Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao (can't get that one either, used Grand Marnier)

corn milk

duelingbanjos.jpg

Trader Vic's is by far my favorite Mai Tai so I used those ratios subbing corn milk for the orgeat and simple. Without having the benefit of tasting the original, I don't think that's on the money. It was seriously tart. A bit of simple balanced it nicely even though they don't mention that in the description. I'm still curious about the original but what I did end up with was tasty even if not accurate. It should have a mint garnish... I remembered that after the pic.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Manhattan using Wild Turkey Rare Breed as the base. For some reason it seems a little ... stronger than the Manhattans I've made using Booker's. Then again, when I was doing that, I was using Punt e Mes as my vermouth (purely because I don't use enough red vermouth to justify having two bottles open at once, even if PeM is a very different beast to M&R which is different again from Dolin). Maybe the bitter edge of PeM competes against the boozy kick of barrel-proof bourbon better than the M&R I'm currently using.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Still in love with the Nui Nui. Even with a fairly "basic" rum, it is spicy and complex, with layer upon layer of flavors.

8028519340_982f879c92_z.jpg

Last night, a lazy Negroni (no orange bitters or orange zest, just built in the glass with one giant ice cube). I used Beefeater gin and Vya sweet vermouth which worked great.

8031587009_560b209453_z.jpg

Here's what I found for a Nui Nui recipe, sourced from Kaiser Penguin:

Nui Nui

by Jeff “Beachbum” Berry

4 oz Virgin Islands Rum, Cruzan (amber or dark)

1/4 oz Allspice Dram

1/4 oz Vanilla syrup

1/2 oz Cinnamon syrup

1 oz Lime juice

1 oz Orange juice

2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Shake well with crushed ice and pour into a fun cup.

Huge drink. I think that I might try this with Becherovka for the cinnamon and Licor 43 for the vanilla. Sounds like fun.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Here's what I found for a Nui Nui recipe, sourced from Kaiser Penguin:

Nui Nui

by Jeff “Beachbum” Berry

4 oz Virgin Islands Rum, Cruzan (amber or dark)

1/4 oz Allspice Dram

1/4 oz Vanilla syrup

1/2 oz Cinnamon syrup

1 oz Lime juice

1 oz Orange juice

2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Shake well with crushed ice and pour into a fun cup.

Huge drink. I think that I might try this with Becherovka for the cinnamon and Licor 43 for the vanilla. Sounds like fun.

Dan - that looks like the recipe I used (from Sippin' Safari). Normally it's ganished with a long orange peel.

Came up with this recently when I subbed Bonal for the vermouth in a Boulevardier.

Change of Key

1 ounce bourbon (or 1.5 ounces if you prefer)

1 ounce Campari

1 ounce Bonal

Made one for a friend and just handed it to him without any preamble. He loved it.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

1 oz. russo nocino walnut liqueur

1 oz. intorcia marsala "dry dessert wine"

1 oz. wire works gin (a new boston distillery!)

2 dashes peychaud's bitters

its the beginning of walnut drinking season. so this looked like a good place to start. the marsala-walnut combo seems to be working out quite well. i love the very lean and sophisticated dryness that gin contributes but i could see this easily re-rendered with whiskey, tequila, or mezcal.

a unique feature of our bar at work is only using one brand of each spirit. we just went local with our one gin and switched to the wire works distillery and have really been enjoying it. having only one option really stresses communication and proper language selection. even though we are in what people think would be one of the most picky neighborhoods in the city it has been really easy and rewarding.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

First night in a while behind the shaker when some friends came over..

In addition to a Bulleit Rye Sazerac and pouring a friend some rye on the rocks, I made some spur-of-the-moment concoctions, all unnamed (as far as I know)

Drink 1:

2 oz FdC 4 year white

.5 oz lime juice

.5 oz Lebanese mulberry syrup (sharab toot)

.25 oz St Germain

shaken, up

Drink 2:

sort of a play on a mai tai or something tiki

2 oz Pusser's

.5 oz lime juice

.25 oz orgeat

.25 oz falernum

.25 oz absinthe (Lucid)

3 dashes orange bitters

shaken, rocks (crushed ice would have been better)

Drink 3:

Variation on a Maple Leaf, I guess

1.5 oz Laird's Bonded applejack

.5 oz maple syrup

.5 oz lemon juice

shaken, up

I've been on a Last Word/Final Ward kick recently. I've found that rather than equal amounts of everything, I prefer slightly less maraschino than the other ingredients. So I've been doing .75oz of the other three, and .5oz luxardo maraschino. It finishes a little drier this way, which I like. And although I really like maraschino, I find it pretty overwhelming sometimes, so I think this ratio just makes everything balance out a little better.

For gin, I've been using Beefeater (my standard), Broker's, and Junipero. None of them disappoint, but I think my old favorite, Beefeater, is probably my favorite here, too. For rye in the FW, I've been using Bulleit. It has a nice tobaccoy flavor that makes this a good fall drink. I've been raving about Last Words for the last year or so, and we bought the rye(we'd run out of Rittenhouse a year and a half ago at New Year's, and hadn't replaced it because the next morning was particularly rough) so I could make Final Wards for my wife, who generally hates gin. It turns out, she likes the LW better than the FW. The first gin drink she's ever liked!

Next up, I'm going to make her a Ramos Gin Fizz, I just need to remember to pick up cream at the store. I've been making these pretty dry, too. And a little variation I'm sure I'm not the first to try is adding a little creme de violette. So I've been doing like 2oz gin, .5oz each lemon, lime, and cream, a few drops of orange blossom water, and .25 violette. I think the cream is sweet enough to make up the difference with just .25 of other sweets in there. I think it's really good this way, and reminds me of the one I had at Acadia here in Chicago a month or so ago, which was garnished with a hyacinth. I haven't been bothering with the egg just out of laziness, and I don't mind the lighter mouthfeel, so...

Tonight's drink courtesy of our own bostonapothecary:

tar pit

1.5 oz. glenn fiddich

1 oz. carpano antica

1 oz. walnut liqueur

Used the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte An Turas Mor for the scotch and, subbing in Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, I added an additional dash of Jerry Thomas bitters. Lovely: tx, Stephen.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

tar pit

1.5 oz. glenn fiddich

1 oz. carpano antica

1 oz. walnut liqueur

Used the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte An Turas Mor for the scotch and, subbing in Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, I added an additional dash of Jerry Thomas bitters. Lovely: tx, Stephen.

This. With your modifications, aside from the scotch (had some Glenfiddich on hand). Nice but I'm keen to revisit with a more strongly flavoured scotch.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

tar pit

1.5 oz. glenn fiddich

1 oz. carpano antica

1 oz. walnut liqueur

This. With your modifications, aside from the scotch (had some Glenfiddich on hand). Nice but I'm keen to revisit with a more strongly flavoured scotch.

thanks for checking it out. i just made one last night and enjoyed subbing punt y mes for the vermouth. that drink came about almost six years ago when i was re-gifted some 16 year old walnut liqueur that our chef made when he was a teenager in the amalfi coast.

back then, believe it or not, i had a giant supply of free scotch. there were cool promos to buy a bottle of hendrix and get a single malt for a penny (two distributors were featuring it! and somehow it last a few weeks) and i did a large tasting for a single malt portfolio and was gifted all the half empty bottles. i was also under budget so i was able to do a large exploration of single malt cocktails. what was free dictated what went into the drinks though i typically always enjoy more assertive styles than what i had available.

i made the drink for the most interesting regular i've ever had. he was a great patron of the arts. i served it to Roman and he said: "i'd love to fossilize in this tar pit" and that became the name.

i also used to make a lot of espresso martinis with walnut liqueur instead of coffee liqueur. late nights and good times. i'm getting old if that was really six years ago already. too much of what i did back then was too far ahead of its time; all the home made vermouths, and sodas, freeze concentrated syrups, and esoteric dessert wines. that place was in the middle of nowhere so not a lot of people came to check it out.

bostonapothecary.com

Continuing to revisit some Classics with a guest from France.

Brooklyn with Bulleit rye and Dolin dry vermouth.

8034435337_46c2d7daf9_z.jpg

Captain Vadrna's Grog (not pictured). I finally finished my stock of Captain Morgan's spiced rum (bought a very long time ago when I knew nothing about rum) which this drink manages to make taste fantastic. Eventually I want to make my own spiced rum, but now I think I want to try this delicious cocktail with Kraken spiced rum.

Margarita with Don Julio tequila.

8041636578_04edb2c186_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

1 oz. el dorado 75.5% "high strength rum"

1 oz. intorcia marsala "dry dessert wine"

1 oz. lime juice

10 g. non aromatic white sugar which is basically a nice sized bar spoon.

.5 oz. roasted walnut oil

small egg white

this is a riff on Marvel Bar's Olivetto. since i've been in love with marsala and nocino i thought i'd give marsala and walnut oil a try. well worth it. quite lovely. i haven't seen anyone in boston use the oil/egg white technique developed by egullet's own Pip Hanson (kohai) but its really cool and really simple. kitchen's have all sorts of weird oils laying around so the delicious possibilities stack up quickly.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

bostonapothecary.com

... to counter the heat wave in San Diego.

In October, that's just bragging.

Yes and no because it was really uncomfortable yesterday with 90+ degrees on the coast and 100+ inland. But I see that where you are located it's looking quite cold and rainy, so I should not complain too much I guess. :smile: