• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2012, part 2)

bostonapothecary

Bitter, Bitter, Bitter, Bitter

by eGullet haresfur

2 oz Campari (or Aperol)

1 t Fernet Branca

3 ds Bitters, Fee Brothers Old Fashion

2 oz Bitter lemon soda

Shake still ingredients, stain, rocks, top with seltzer, lowball.

As written, I tihnk it is probably too sweet, unless your bitter lemon soda is very dry. I sub 1/2 oz lemon + 5 dashes lemon bitters + seltzer for the bitter lemon soda. Great drink. Tonight, I added 1/2 oz gin for alcohol mouthfeel and effect and complement the Campari and lemon.

For a Campari lover, this is a wonderful drink. There is just enough Fernet to linger in the background, like a creep in the shadows. The bitters tones down the brightness of the Campari a bit (neither good nor bad, just different from other Campari cocktails).

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I called this one the Clown Car:

2.25 Bas-Armagnac

1 Grapefruit

.5 Cointreau

.25 Batavia Arrack

The flavors just kept coming out, and they were all rather strange.

Great name!

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

the idea of making drinks taste like beautiful fruits that could be real, but do not exist was fun. we made a few, and they slurped them down.

we started with the sour orange bronx which conjures the lost burmese pomelo (if it was, it must be behind rebel controlled lines)

1.5 oz. farmer's gin

.75 oz. m&r sweet vermouth

.75 oz. dominican sour orange juice

expressed sour orange peel

i was bluffing about burma and only geographically guessing, but when googled they are actually famous for them.

then we went with the re-rendered maximillian affair

1 oz. j.m. rhum agricole

1 oz. j.m. (joao monteiro) cape verdean tamarind ponche (no relation to j.m. of martinique)

.5 oz. campari

.5 oz. lime juice

6 sprigs of mint

no one knew what tamarind was so i explained how cape verde was a point on the famous "tamarind belt" that stretches from guyana to east timor. the drink overall conjures monstrous expressions of heirloom grapefruit.

I would think exotic fruit is an easier entry to new flavours than say potable bitters or funky rum. Tamarind seems like it would be a great ingredient and certainly outside the normal cocktail realm. But your Maximillian seems to punch all the buttons.

by eGullet haresfur

2 oz Campari (or Aperol)

1 t Fernet Branca

2 oz Bitter lemon soda

As written, I tihnk it is probably too sweet, unless your bitter lemon soda is very dry. I sub 1/2 oz lemon + 5 dashes lemon bitters + seltzer for the bitter lemon soda. Great drink. Tonight, I added 1/2 oz gin for alcohol mouthfeel and effect and complement the Campari and lemon.

For a Campari lover, this is a wonderful drink. There is just enough Fernet to linger in the background, like a creep in the shadows. The bitters tones down the brightness of the Campari a bit (neither good nor bad, just different from other Campari cocktails).

I like like like this. A whole lot. Need to try a version of this with Cynar. Just for fun.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

by eGullet haresfur

2 oz Campari (or Aperol)

1 t Fernet Branca

2 oz Bitter lemon soda

In Australia I've been using Schweppes Bitter Lemon. I don't find it too sweet, but I have more of a sweet tooth than you (who doesn't!). I also like it with Italian lemon soda, which is tastes quite a bit sweeter to me.

Had to break into the emergency backup Campari to make these today. I think you are right about the Fernet. I poured too much in mine and Ms. haresfur's is better. I haven't tried adding gin but I'm sure it won't hurt if you don't mind the extra medicine.

by eGullet haresfur

2 oz Campari (or Aperol)

1 t Fernet Branca

2 oz Bitter lemon soda

Oh this seems great!!!!

My favorite drink in this hot weather is Lemonade with Ice cream :D

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

All this chatting about LemonHart 151 made me do this:

2 oz LemonHart 151

1 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Amaro Nardini (a fairly mild menthol/mint amaro)

1/2 oz Lemon

1 oz seltzer to top

8 leaves mint

1 spring mint garnish

Muddle mint lightly, shake hard to further muddle, double strain into highball, top with seltzer, garnish.

This drink has the light texture of a highball and the alcohol punch of a spirit-forward cocktail. Warning: scale down or one-and-done.

2 oz LemonHart 151

1 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Amaro Nardini (a fairly mild menthol/mint amaro)

1/2 oz Lemon

1 oz seltzer to top

8 leaves mint

1 spring mint garnish

Muddle mint lightly, shake hard to further muddle, double strain into highball, top with seltzer, garnish.

This drink has the light texture of a highball and the alcohol punch of a spirit-forward cocktail. Warning: scale down or one-and-done.

That's a bartender's handshake if ever there was one. All it's missing is a Fernet float.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

2 oz LemonHart 151

1 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Amaro Nardini Bitter Truth EXR amaro (a fairly mild menthol/mint amaro)

1/2 oz Lemon

1 oz seltzer to top

8 leaves mint

1 spring mint garnish

Apparently these were indeed potent. Sorry. EXR is sort of Fernet for weaklings. Maybe it's a Bar Back Handshake. ;)

Boston Common

3/4 oz Rye, Rittenhouse 100 (or other high proof)

3/4 oz Cognac

3/4 oz Amaro, Nardini

3/4 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Punt e Mes

3/8 oz Lemon juice

1 twst Lemon peel (as garnish)

Shake, strain, lowball, rocks, garnish

Delicious. Not as sweet as the inspiration due to lemon. A more mild rye will let the cognac through.

2 oz. puysegur bas armagnac

4 g. non aromatic white sugar

4 dashes peychaud's bitters

rinse of absinthe (raki-prunelle sauvage-yerba mate)

this was a nice drink. the armagnac which i have never seen before was only $25. it has the same aroma as the marmite rye i've been making which leads me to believe they do something distinct with their yeast before distillation. solo, the aroma is unfortunately sort of plebeian and ordinary relative to other pricier armagnacs i've had. in the context of a cocktail its pretty cool. i'll have no problem using up the rest of the bottle.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

"roasty toasty"

2 oz. cesar pisco "italia"

1 oz. lime juice

8g. non aromatic white sugar

.5 oz. la tourangelle huile de noix (roasted walnut oil!)

egg white

decorated with bittermen's mole bitters

holy wow, is this spectacular. i think the walnut oil helped it froth even more than usual. the cocktail really enlivens and helps carry the aroma of the walnut oil.

i debated for a while what type of aroma would pair well with the walnut oil. pisco on paper might not seem obvious, but it supports and promotes and does not overshadow. some dark aromas such as seem more obvious with walnut do not show elegantly in a high acid context. next time i'll add a spoonful of kirschwasser for extra contrast.

i just added some boutique olive oils and all the other available nut oils to my shopping list.

bostonapothecary.com

an egg and some "old engine oil"...

1 oz. lepanto spanish brandy aged in pedro ximenez barrels

.5 oz. hiram walker kirschwasser

1 oz. cesar florido moscatel especial

.5 oz. cynar

.5 oz. la tourangelle huile de noix (roasted walnut oil!)

whole egg

this was definitely delicious, but the walnut oil is definitely not the greatest sensory attentional feature. some people might call this drink balanced, but i am looking for vitality and that lies in a certain asymmetry which i think was nailed perfectly in the previous tart cocktail.

this might actually be my favorite drink with the lepanto which has sat around for years now due to lack of interest.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

bostonapothecary.com

I made this simple but delicious Bourbon Smash last night for my husband: bourbon, lemon wedges, simple syrup, mint, angostura bitters (I did have a sip of it for quality control purposes). My mint is doing really well right now so it's a good time to take advantage of it!

7206950332_6856a255b2_z.jpg

1.5 oz 'Cuban Style' White Rum

.5 oz Lime supreme juice (exactly what it sounds like...juice pressed from lime supremes*)

1 tsp Demerara syrup (1:1)

The Platonic ideal of a daiquiri, pretty much. No trace of bitterness from the pith or interference with the pure juice flavor from traces of lime oil.

Was it worth the time/effort to fillet the citrus? Most definitely, and I'm sure I'll do it again. But, it's not going to become a standard practice anytime soon.

*Hat tip to Troy Sidle for the idea.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

1.5 oz 'Cuban Style' White Rum

.5 oz Lime supreme juice (exactly what it sounds like...juice pressed from lime supremes*)

1 tsp Demerara syrup (1:1)

The Platonic ideal of a daiquiri, pretty much. No trace of bitterness from the pith or interference with the pure juice flavor from traces of lime oil.

Was it worth the time/effort to fillet the citrus? Most definitely, and I'm sure I'll do it again. But, it's not going to become a standard practice anytime soon.

*Hat tip to Troy Sidle for the idea.

Interesting... how did you juice the supremes? Did you actually use a juicer, or just sort of put 'em in a mortar and bash 'em around?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Is making the lime supremes as much of a pain in the ass as I'm imagining?

To be honest, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be...I've got some really sharp knives, but it's certainly not going to be my de rigueur method for a daiquiri. I imagine someone with smaller/better trained hands wouldn't have that bad a time with it.

Interesting... how did you juice the supremes? Did you actually use a juicer, or just sort of put 'em in a mortar and bash 'em around?

I muddled them up good and then pressed the result through a strainer. The yield was poor, about 1/2 oz from a nice sized lime.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Inaugurating my new bottle of Campari, a Negroni

IMG_2955.JPG

Oz Campari

Oz Cinzano Rosso

Oz Beefeater.

Blow me down, this is a strong, viscous drink!

Edited by Hassouni (log)