• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

This is what I just submitted to the Tales of the Cocktail 2013 Official Drink Contest, which had to take the form of a Rickey:

Rickey Ricardo

1.5 oz Hendrick's

.5 oz Angostura

1 oz cucumber juice

.5 oz lime juice

3 oz club soda

Garnish with a lime wheel, lemon wheel, and rose water and Angostura-aromatized slice of cucumber.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

This is what I just submitted to the Tales of the Cocktail 2013 Official Drink Contest, which had to take the form of a Rickey:

Rickey Ricardo

1.5 oz Hendrick's

.5 oz Angostura

1 oz cucumber juice

.5 oz lime juice

3 oz club soda

Garnish with a lime wheel, lemon wheel, and rose water and Angostura-aromatized slice of cucumber.

I had a great drink on these lines in the Corinthia Hotel in London, but with chilled Earl Grey instead of your lime and soda. Your version looks beautiful as well. Pretty sure you'll win that competition. :biggrin:

Today I enjoyed some sherry after working late again. I recommend this bottle to those with a sweet tooth; it is absolutely jammy. Once when I was a child I ODd on this very sweet cough syrup, started to hallucinate and ended up in Accident and Emergency getting my stomach pumped... this sherry is very nearly as good :raz: It tastes just like figs and honey, with salt and engine oil on the end and when you open it up the whole house gets this heavy sweet aroma of dusty fruit. It has the texture of almond oil. It's a shame you can't see the lovely purple-russet tones in my photo.

013 (480x640).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Rickey Ricardo

1.5 oz Hendrick's

.5 oz Angostura

1 oz cucumber juice

.5 oz lime juice

3 oz club soda

I had a great drink on these lines in the Corinthia Hotel in London, but with chilled Earl Grey instead of your lime and soda. Your version looks beautiful as well. Pretty sure you'll win that competition. :biggrin:

You're too kind. That drink sounds wild. By coincidence, the other drink I considered submitting was an Earl Grey-infused gin and ginger beer highball with a dash of lavender syrup. I called it the Bulwer-Lytton, after the British author of the line "it was a Dark 'n Stormy night."

Once when I was a child I ODd on this very sweet cough syrup, started to hallucinate and ended up in Accident and Emergency getting my stomach pumped... this sherry is very nearly as good :raz:

You should write ad copy for sherry companies.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Red Hook if you have Punt e Mes, the Final Ward if you have Chartreuse, the Brooklyn, and the Improved Whiskey Cocktail.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

The latter two are possibles - are bitters an adequate sub for Amer Picon in a Brooklyn? The Improved recipe I have calls for 1/2 tsp of Maraschino? Thanks for the suggestions though, Rafa.

Rickey Ricardo

1.5 oz Hendrick's

.5 oz Angostura

1 oz cucumber juice

.5 oz lime juice

3 oz club soda

You're too kind. That drink sounds wild. By coincidence, the other drink I considered submitting was an Earl Grey-infused gin and ginger beer highball with a dash of lavender syrup. I called it the Bulwer-Lytton, after the British author of the line "it was a Dark 'n Stormy night."

The drink of your imagining, far from generating a fierce displeasure, while nonetheless intriguingly unquotiden and removed from the tedious by a country mile, leaves the heart engorged by the sweat of wondering what in its reality could be the flavour of it, and a languid pallor invades the beholder from the sternocleidomastoids to the top of the face with delight.

... are bitters an adequate sub for Amer Picon in a Brooklyn?

Not really. I would also go easy on the Maraschino in a Brooklyn -- I thought it dominated a bit. For Amer Picon, your choices include:

• Real Amer Picon (although its not the same as the historic ingredient)
  • Toriani Amer (never had or seen it, but I've heard it's not a close match)
  • Bittermen's Amer Nouvelle (Lacks the caramel coloring, but in this drink it wouldn't matter)
  • Amaro CioCiaro (pretty close; now available in Massachusetts; available at DrinkUpNY.com)
  • Amaro Lucano (not quite as close, but I'd use it)
  • Amer Boudreau (a homemade infusion of orange and/or bitter orange peel in GNS, Amaro Ramazzotti, and Stirring's Orange Bitters; mine is VERY bitter, and I did diluted it with vodka to about 80 proof)
  • Or a concoction of your own design -- something bitter, orange, and a bit spicy.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Whereupon I came to the hour violet that, whether through gleam of gloaming or some ancient thirst of these brittle bones, instilled in me a desire for a potion quenching in its character, in its effects bibulous; and, searching about me for some receipt for such an imbibement with which to parch my sorrow, I came upon this post, the bezeled gem of the evening, and mirth and beauty overcame me.

The drink of your imagining, far from generating a fierce displeasure, while nonetheless intriguingly unquotiden and removed from the tedious by a country mile, leaves the heart engorged by the sweat of wondering what in its reality could be the flavour of it, and a languid pallor invades the beholder from the sternocleidomastoids to the top of the face with delight.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

The latter two are possibles - are bitters an adequate sub for Amer Picon in a Brooklyn? The Improved recipe I have calls for 1/2 tsp of Maraschino? Thanks for the suggestions though, Rafa.

Maraschino's powerful stuff; a little goes a long way. Start with the prescribed amount and add more to taste. You might also try a Fancy Fee cocktail, with a half ounce of Maraschino to two of whiskey, and a dash each of orange and Angostura bitters.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Whereupon I came to the hour violet that, whether through gleam of gloaming or some ancient thirst of these brittle bones, instilled in me a desire for a potion quenching in its character, in its effects bibulous; and, searching about me for some receipt for such an imbibement with which to parch my sorrow, I came upon this post, the bezeled gem of the evening, and mirth and beauty overcame me.

You know, if this bar stuff doesn't work out you should aim for publication.

You know, this is the exact inverse of what I used to hear when I edited a literary magazine. At least people enjoy intentionally (or "

") bad writing more than they do bad drinks.

I've discovered that Cynar and cardamom love each other. Might have to try a spiked Turkish coffee (something along the lines of Un Cafe Va Bene?), or maybe just mix the 'choke with some Ransom Old Tom.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

You know, this is the exact inverse of what I used to hear when I edited a literary magazine. At least people enjoy intentionally (or "

") bad writing more than they do bad drinks.

I've discovered that Cynar and cardamom love each other. Might have to try a spiked Turkish coffee (something along the lines of Un Cafe Va Bene?), or maybe just mix the 'choke with some Ransom Old Tom.

Well, if you make Un Cafe Va Bene then afterwards you'll have to come up with a drink that's like having a cigar, chocolate and Un Cafe Va Bene all together, if we take our lead from that site. A fearsome commitment.

Maybe you could try coffee-infused Cynar? In a Toronto or an Old Fashioned? Or I read somewhere or other of this drink, if I remember well:

1oz rye

1oz cold pressed coffee

1/4oz Luxardo

Dash Peychauds

Thyme and lemon zest garnish

You could perhaps try subbing in your Cynar and cardamom for the thyme and Peychauds. If it's bad, say you meant to do it and call it Art.

Summer is sort of here in London, so we sorted our Piña Colada recipe:

2oz Thai Five Spice'd Pampero Especial (Morganthaler Method)
.5oz Wray
2.5oz fresh pineapple
2oz Coco Lopez
.5oz lime
2 dashes Angostura

This converted my colleague who until now was staunchly anti Piña Colada. I'm taken to it too.

image.jpg

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Well, if you make Un Cafe Va Bene then afterwards you'll have to come up with a drink that's like having a cigar, chocolate and Un Cafe Va Bene all together, if we take our lead from that site. A fearsome commitment.

Maybe you could try coffee-infused Cynar? In a Toronto or an Old Fashioned? Or I read somewhere or other of this drink, if I remember well:

1oz rye

1oz cold pressed coffee

1/4oz Luxardo

Dash Peychauds

You could perhaps try subbing in your Cynar and cardamom for the thyme and Peychauds. If it's bad, say you meant to do it and call it Art.

Having good ideas go disastrously wrong and then calling that Art is already my MO. So I'll probably have to attempt your proposed Un Cafe Va Bene Va Bene.

Thanks for the great ideas, and for the rye/coffee/Luxardo cocktail, which I hadn't seen before. I've actually been looking for recipes that involve cold coffee. Thampik, this might be one worth trying out with your Maraschino.

Rafa, thanks. Tried the Fancy Free today and enjoyed it -I think I need to try the Luxardo standalone to get a feel for it actually tastes like!

NP. A Martinez, with gin (preferably Old Tom), sweet vermouth, and Boker's/Angostura is a good way to get a sense of Maraschino's flavor. A Hemingway Daiquiri/Papa Doble is another great, though less Maraschino-forward, drink. I find that once you get a sense of what Maraschino tastes like it's impossible not to notice. It's a very distinctive and assertive flavor, and it can dominate if used in quantities of more than 1/4 oz.

.5oz Wray

2.5oz fresh pineapple

2oz Coco Lopez

.5oz lime

2 dashes Angostura

This converted my colleague who until now was staunchly anti Piña Colada. I'm taken to it too.

Looks beautiful, and the five spice mix probably gives it aromatic complexity like it does in Morgenthaler's Dark 'n Stormy. I make them according to Giuseppe Gonzalez's research at PKNY but Iove W&N so I'll have to give yours a try.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

.5oz Wray

2.5oz fresh pineapple

2oz Coco Lopez

.5oz lime

2 dashes Angostura

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm going to drop by and try this soon. I've never been keen on gigantic fruity beach holiday cocktails but now I see yours I'm willing to be persuaded :smile:

1oz rye

1oz cold pressed coffee

1/4oz Luxardo

Dash Peychauds

Having good ideas go disastrously wrong and then calling that Art is already my MO. So I'll probably have to attempt your proposed Un Cafe Va Bene Va Bene.

Thanks for the great ideas, and for the rye/coffee/Luxardo cocktail, which I hadn't seen before. I've actually been looking for recipes that involve cold coffee. Thampik, this might be one worth trying out with your Maraschino.

Doh, that should obviously say cardamom-infused Cynar. I like having thoughts but I'm not good at it...

Today I tried a Fig Old-Fashioned.

1 ripe fig

1.5oz bourbon

0.5oz oj

Then the recipe calls for 0.25oz maple syrup + 1tsp balsamic vinegar, but I used vincotto instead as I want to put it in everything that goes in my mouth.

Muddle quartered fig with syrup, add everything else and ice and shake, double strain over rocks.

I didn't think the fig brought a lot to this drink. I've never tasted a good fig in this country so I suppose this should have been no shock, but I buy them occasionally when I get seduced by their looks.

Then I tried a far preferable cocktail of my own devising.

Tauromaquia

1.5oz home-made sloe gin

0.5oz olorosso sherry

tsp sherry vinegar

0.25oz lemon juice

Shake on ice and serve with a dry cava float.

Lousy picture - sorry.

006 (480x640).jpg

010 (480x640).jpg

Tonight, at home, I mixed

1.5 oz Rittenhouse 100 (killing off the bottle--RIP)

.75 oz white grapefruit juice

.5 oz Cynar

.125 oz Benedictine

I mixed the first three and got something woody, forest-y, dry, and complexly bitter. I liked it, but it lacked contrast, so I added a whisper of Benedictine, which brightened it considerably. At this point I realized I'd basically made a grapefruit version of a Doe's Path. I like the Doe better. For my rye-grapefruit needs I'll probably stick with Nocino.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Today I tried a Fig Old-Fashioned.

It kind of looks like you have a snail wrapped around the rim of that glass.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com